Author Topic: Youyue 858D+ some reverse engineering + custom firmware  (Read 399520 times)

Offline seasalt

Re: Youyue 858D+ some reverse engineering + custom firmware
« Reply #550 on: October 16, 2017, 03:16:41 pm »
Just bought YouYue 858D+ from Bangood, and the PCB is 858DV06 dated 2017.03.14 (both sides are green and mainly SMD components) the processor is MK1840D3, which  adapter board and firmware should I use? Please advise,

Offline Level42

« Reply #551 on: October 16, 2017, 04:06:25 pm »
I received my Youyue 858D+ from this Aliexpress seller:

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/700W-Hot-Air-Gun-YOUYUE-858D-220V-ESD-unlead-adjust-temperature-Soldering-Station-Welding-gun-LED/32797600905.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.Xn24wh

I chose the "expensive" version with the extra's, figuring a spare heating element wouldn't do any harm.
Don't think all the nozzle sizes will be used but still nice to have. Also came with a tool to "scoop" chips of a PCB and some tweezers.

I had found an even cheaper 858D on Aliexpress, but it did not have the + after the D....not sure what's the difference....but the most annoying thing on that one was that the cable of the wand is fixed permanently to the base unit. Of course this saves a jack and connector but it's also not what I wanted...

It has the 858D06 PCB dated 2017.03.14 too just like Seasalt's.
Also has the MK1840D3.

I checked and measured the ground, everything OK. I did have to tighten the nuts of the transformer, they were pretty loose from transport I guess.

Seasalt, I think this is what we need:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/youyue-858d-some-reverse-engineering-custom-firmware/msg1320798/#msg1320798

Offline seasalt

« Reply #552 on: October 16, 2017, 10:52:44 pm »
I received my Youyue 858D+ from this Aliexpress seller:

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/700W-Hot-Air-Gun-YOUYUE-858D-220V-ESD-unlead-adjust-temperature-Soldering-Station-Welding-gun-LED/32797600905.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.Xn24wh

I chose the "expensive" version with the extra's, figuring a spare heating element wouldn't do any harm.
Don't think all the nozzle sizes will be used but still nice to have. Also came with a tool to "scoop" chips of a PCB and some tweezers.

I had found an even cheaper 858D on Aliexpress, but it did not have the + after the D....not sure what's the difference....but the most annoying thing on that one was that the cable of the wand is fixed permanently to the base unit. Of course this saves a jack and connector but it's also not what I wanted...

It has the 858D06 PCB dated 2017.03.14 too just like Seasalt's.
Also has the MK1840D3.

I checked and measured the ground, everything OK. I did have to tighten the nuts of the transformer, they were pretty loose from transport I guess.

Seasalt, I think this is what we need:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/youyue-858d-some-reverse-engineering-custom-firmware/msg1320798/#msg1320798

Thanks for your respond, yes I think Flodo's mini tutorials will work, for our model. I have 2 858Ds WEP and Youyue build quality wise, WEP still better in my case. I ordered also V6 board dated 2016.09.29 GREEN PCB SMD. TRIAC BTA12-800B with MK1840D3 controller and I will compare what difference between those 2 versions.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 04:09:17 am by seasalt »

Offline seasalt

« Reply #554 on: October 18, 2017, 06:50:42 am »
Only the 858d circuit PCB board.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/220v-GORDAK-kada-850-rework-station-control-board-quick-990A-hot-air-gun-universal-circuit-board/524258_32719799789.html?spm=2114.12010615.0.0.5e4aac32Tvjvr9

Bought from there also, delivery 10 days to Jakarta, I requested V6 board dated 2016.09.29 GREEN PCB SMD. TRIAC BTA12-800B with MK1840D3 controller but they sent me 8585D06 dated 2017.03.04 with blank/no marking IC.

This board is the same version with my recently purchased Youyue 858D+ the only difference is Youyue 858D+ the MCU is clearly marked as an MK1840D3 not a blank IC.

Can we conclude the blank IC is an MK1840D3?

Offline Miwer

• Contributor
« Reply #555 on: October 20, 2017, 09:39:05 am »

I bought one a few days ago, and it turned out to be an Hylko one... I had never heard about that one before...
Obviously, the chip is plain blank....
How can I know which one is it?

that's the one i have,
i will be looking into it probably over the weekend.

Did you get a chance to look into your board stj?

Hi there,

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents - I also have this Hylko branded 858D, and I did trace out the connections. Haven't made a schematic yet, though. It's follows the same basic principle of the others, but there are a couple of major differences worth mentioning:
  • There's no external AREF circuitry, so this might cause problems with the temperature sensing, unless adjusted in fw, or adding hw
  • There's no fan voltage feedback to the MCU - I'm not sure if this is required by madworms fw, but I notice that some of wguibas adapter board implement this on the adapter.
  • LED digits are driven by external transistors instead of directly from the MCU, but as far as I can tell, this shouldn't be a problem.

About the MCU:
Well, it's 'blank', so not much of a hint there, however based on the pinout, it looks like it could be a Zilog S3 series MCU. It's not uncommon for chinese designs to use S3, and I even have a programmer lying around for these  ^-^

Anyway, none of the adapter boards I've seen in this thread matches this configuration, but I mapped out the connections between the S3 and the ATmega8 chip, based on the schematic by Christe4nM, so here's a little to start you off:
FunctionS3 pinAtmega8 pin
GND18,22
lcd b213
lcd f35
Reset_L *41 (not connected)
lcd a52
lcd e63
lcd d74
Triac drive815
Up sw919
Down sw1016
Reed sw1118
lcd dig21210
lcd dig31314
ADC Temp sense1423
lcd dig1159
Fan on/off1626
lcd dp176
lcd c1811
lcd g1912
VCC **207,20

Oddities:
* The S3 reset pin on the Hylko is connected directly to 5V VCC, however the Atmega8 reset pin is not connected, might not be needed.
** The S3 VCC pin is connected through a 1n4007 diode to VCC. Here I've mapped it directly to match the ATmega VCC pin.

I might be able to make a complete schematic based on my notes, but I may not have time before next week.

Offline ncx94

• Contributor
« Reply #556 on: October 20, 2017, 09:47:44 am »

I bought one a few days ago, and it turned out to be an Hylko one... I had never heard about that one before...
Obviously, the chip is plain blank....
How can I know which one is it?

that's the one i have,
i will be looking into it probably over the weekend.

Did you get a chance to look into your board stj?

Hi there,

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents - I also have this Hylko branded 858D, and I did trace out the connections. Haven't made a schematic yet, though. It's follows the same basic principle of the others, but there are a couple of major differences worth mentioning:
  • There's no external AREF circuitry, so this might cause problems with the temperature sensing, unless adjusted in fw, or adding hw
  • There's no fan voltage feedback to the MCU - I'm not sure if this is required by madworms fw, but I notice that some of wguibas adapter board implement this on the adapter.
  • LED digits are driven by external transistors instead of directly from the MCU, but as far as I can tell, this shouldn't be a problem.

About the MCU:
Well, it's 'blank', so not much of a hint there, however based on the pinout, it looks like it could be a Zilog S3 series MCU. It's not uncommon for chinese designs to use S3, and I even have a programmer lying around for these  ^-^

Anyway, none of the adapter boards I've seen in this thread matches this configuration, but I mapped out the connections between the S3 and the ATmega8 chip, based on the schematic by Christe4nM, so here's a little to start you off:
FunctionS3 pinAtmega8 pin
GND18,22
lcd b213
lcd f35
Reset_L *41 (not connected)
lcd a52
lcd e63
lcd d74
Triac drive815
Up sw919
Down sw1016
Reed sw1118
lcd dig21210
lcd dig31314
ADC Temp sense1423
lcd dig1159
Fan on/off1626
lcd dp176
lcd c1811
lcd g1912
VCC **207,20

Oddities:
* The S3 reset pin on the Hylko is connected directly to 5V VCC, however the Atmega8 reset pin is not connected, might not be needed.
** The S3 VCC pin is connected through a 1n4007 diode to VCC. Here I've mapped it directly to match the ATmega VCC pin.

I might be able to make a complete schematic based on my notes, but I may not have time before next week.
Cooool!
Good job thank you very much
If you can make the boards that would be awesome!

Inviato dal mio A0001 utilizzando Tapatalk

Offline Miwer

• Contributor
« Reply #557 on: October 20, 2017, 11:14:16 am »
You just gotta love the quality of these boards.  :clap:

Offline ncx94

• Contributor
« Reply #558 on: October 22, 2017, 08:09:47 pm »
Hi guys!
Just received my boards from osh parks. Mk143Xxx ones...

I won't use them so if someone in Europe wants one, just ask :)

3 available, you only pay shipping from France. Will be much quicker than ordering them from osh parks

Offline kPATm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #559 on: October 22, 2017, 08:56:44 pm »
How much are they mate?

Offline ncx94

• Contributor
« Reply #560 on: October 22, 2017, 09:01:17 pm »
You just pay shipping :)

Offline kPATm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #561 on: October 22, 2017, 10:17:46 pm »
I havnt even bought a 858 yet but I suppose it would come in handy if I needed the board?

Offline ncx94

• Contributor
« Reply #562 on: October 23, 2017, 05:59:43 am »
I havnt even bought a 858 yet but I suppose it would come in handy if I needed the board?
If you're in Europe and need to mod your future station yes. I waited about about a month to have them

Offline x2net

« Reply #563 on: November 02, 2017, 04:21:20 pm »
Hello Everyone!

Sorry for the offtopic....
Few months ago I started designing a new, "all digital" board for this magickal chinese hot air station.
Unfortunately I'm stucked with the MAX6675 ic, and currently I have zero time and patience to figure it how to use this IC with the Atmega 88.
The code is written in CodeVision AVR.
If anyone interested to help me out, pls let me know. I will open source the sw and the board too.

(Sorry for my bad english)
Cheers

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #564 on: November 02, 2017, 04:35:38 pm »
If you update the firmware, a button click should change the setting by 1 and holding the button by 10.  Also, include a config option for degrees F.

Offline DGM

• Contributor
    • My Useless Blog
« Reply #565 on: November 14, 2017, 05:19:18 am »
Hello, folks. I have one of these with the main board marked "youde 858DV2++" and the microcontroller is a S3F94C4EZZ-DK94.

I've gone through the thread(s) here but I'm not clear if anyone has made an adapter for that chip yet.

Anyone in the know? Thanks.

I also unluckily ended up with this board. Has anyone reverse-engineered it? It seems even more cheap than the rest of the boards that have been discussed. It uses the a MCU marked as a S3F94C4EZZ-DK94, that does not say SAMSUNG.

Do the posted adapter boards work with this PCB? I'd really like to replace the firmware on it to prevent  overshoot.

I don't know what the difference is between the YOUDE 858DV2++ and the YOUDE 858DV4 boards, but they look identical on the topside.  The V4 board is dissimilar to any of the clones posted so far on this thread.  Not only does the board use a different pin assignment for the MCU, the buttons are scanned using a single ADC input.  Fixing this would require modifying both the board and the firmware.   I've noticed that a lot of the resistors have been substituted for nice round 10k resistors everywhere.  The TC amplifier ckt is different, and overall I have a feeling that the voltage range expected by the firmware for TC and fan ADC's will probably be different and need a bunch of tweaking. 

The pinout for the MCU is:
GND
LED A3
LED A1
hook switch
LED a
LED f
LED e
LED d
LED DP
LED c
button ADC
optocoupler
LED A2
temp ADC
fan control
LED b
LED g
EE SCL
EE SDA
VCC

Both buttons share a common node which is pulled to 5v with a 10k resistance.  The UP button pulls this node directly to GND, whereas the DN button pulls this node to GND via another 10k resistance.  So the state map for the sensed node is:
Inactive: 5v
UP active: 0v
DN active: 2.5v
UP+DN active: 0v
So while using the ADC to sense two buttons might be a simple change in the new firmware, the hardware can't accept a double keypress.  One could configure both buttons to act as voltage dividers with unique voltages for each of the three active cases, but there's a possible complication in the board layout.  They're using the internal connection between pins on the UP button as a board jumper to connect the fan control circuit to ground, so any modification has to take that into consideration.

It should be possible to set up a divider as described if a few modifications are made.  This keeps everything within a 0-2.5v range for the ADC.

I found this thread after declaring my unit to be garbage after a few uses.  Mine is badged ZENY 858D and comes with the typical backwards mains connection,  After the ground wire shorted the heater and blew the triac and traces off the board (because there's no fuse in a line-earth fault), I discovered the faked temperature display.  I know people here were complaining about overshoot, but I'm seeing 150-200C overshoot for a 300C setpoint.  I don't think I've seen anyone mentioning anything that bad.    For higher setpoints, this is pushing the heater into a temp range where I'm concerned about insulation failure.

One contributing thing is the filter cap in the TC amplifier output is 10uF.  Pulling this and replacing it with something smaller does alleviate some of the overshoot, but 120-150C is still absurd.  I don't feel like waiting two minutes for the temp to settle every time I pick the handpiece off the hook.

There is no attempt at compensation in the control.  The original firmware appears to be using a large moving average of the PV for both the display and control loops.   Once it reaches SP, it pauses the loop for about 20s or so to hide the overshoot from the user.  If no nozzle is used, the temperature will settle quickly enough for this scheme to work.  If using a nozzle or using low air, the firmware will eventually start averaging the SP with the overshoot.  This is why it appears to spontaneously skyrocket in temperature.

Personally, I don't think I'm going to try adapting this board.  I don't feel like nailing down every little difference to save what has to be the worst variant of the 858D clones.  I'll probably either build a new board specifically for the AVR, or I'll order an alibaba board and see if it's better quality or more easily adaptable. 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 02:53:19 pm by DGM »

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
schematic of 858D+ with 856D06.PCB and the wand
« Reply #566 on: November 14, 2017, 08:25:31 pm »
Here is the schematic I drew of the Youyue 858D+ with 856D06.PCB and the wand.

I can't remember if I previously posted it. Let me know if there are errors.
It does not show the fix for moving the on/off switch, so it actually shuts off power so no shock hazard at the wand and connector from TRIAC leakage.

The following users thanked this post: bwack

Offline DGM

• Contributor
    • My Useless Blog
« Reply #567 on: November 15, 2017, 08:49:09 am »
Just to kill some time, I threw together a sloppy schematic for the YOUDE 858DV4 board found in the ZENY clone.  No attempt was made to match part identifiers to the pcb silkscreen, but values should otherwise be correct.  Most of the differences are in the TC amplifier section, the button circuit, and some values in the fan control. 

Unlike some of the other designs, the fan potentiometer is mounted off-board with a jumper.  The pot is an unmarked 10k single-gang pot (measured ~9k). 

The measured fan voltages are lower than in the 858D06 board, even though both have 24v fans.   I'm not sure how this compares to other clones or what to expect as far as the ability of the fan to run over its nominal voltage rating.  Most of the hall effect switches I've seen are rated 28v, and most fan datasheets seem to only rate the 24v fans up to 28v. 

It's worth noting that this board has no provision for a heat sink on the darlington in the fan circuit.  At a peak of ~2.5W dissipation, this part really needs a heat sink.

I still don't think I'll bother adapting this board, but if someone else wants to, I hope this helps.
EDIT: added TC output table
EDIT: corrected error in TC amp input
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 02:08:33 am by DGM »

Offline DGM

• Contributor
    • My Useless Blog
« Reply #568 on: November 15, 2017, 11:44:01 am »
Considering the different TC amplifier setup in the YOUDE 858DV4 board and the impact on any ADC scalings, I figured I'd measure the output at the MCU pin.  I was surprised to find it was basically the same as the other clones.  Considering the ADC range needed for the button circuit, I was kind of expecting a range >2.5v.  I guess it's just a matter of the opamp swing being limited.
This is all measured with the large nozzle in place and 100% air. 

Setpoint (C)Temperature (C)VADC (V)

After having disassembled the unit to photograph the board, I was surprised to find that it was way out of calibration.  Turns out that the calibration trimmer is either really flaky, or the circuit is extremely sensitive to this trimmer (probably both).  Error swings >50C can be made within an imperceptibly small wiper tweak, and tapping the pot or the pcb after making an adjustment will produce another ~10C error as the pot settles mechanically.  Anyone who wants to actually use this board should probably fix this part of the circuit if they want their calibration to survive.

Offline progrock

• Contributor
« Reply #569 on: November 17, 2017, 07:02:12 pm »
Has anyone played around with the HFS 959D?... seemed pretty comparable with the Youyue 858D, except it claims to use PID heating (as I am understanding it, you guys are adding PID with the firmware upgrades).... didn't see this thread before ordering, otherwise, might have chosen the 858D.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #570 on: November 17, 2017, 09:33:45 pm »
got a link??

be funny if you opened one and it was using this project!!!

Offline progrock

• Contributor
« Reply #571 on: November 20, 2017, 07:15:50 pm »
Oh man, clearly I was in need of sleep, forgot the link, haha.  Here it is on amazon (and actually a good amount cheaper than I was seeing it on ebay, plus can't beat prime shipping... and soo much easier returning something to Amazon if there are issues from the start): https://www.amazon.com/HFS-Digital-Soldering-Rework-Station/dp/B01H7SH7JE/

BTW, there was actually 2 reasons I went for this one instead of one of the 100 different 858D's (as I mentioned did not see this thread before ordering)... but, 1 was the PID heating... 2 was after reading a customer review that had an issue and contacted HFS (when it came to 50 different brand labels I saw on the 858D, I had no clue if any were different, and definitely had no expectations of there being any form of warranty that would actually be held.... was pretty shocking to hear that HFS was so on top of that).

That would be totally hilarious if it was an 858D utilizing the firmware found here (well, hilarious to me.... might not make the creator happy... tho would kinda vindicate his work).  I suppose it's also technically possible that they are just lying about it having PID heating, and it is just a normal 858D, but I'm hoping that's not the case.  At least from the looks of it, it't extremely similar, but maybe just a little nicer/cleaner than a lot of the 858D's I saw (though I could be imagining that, don't have the 2 in front of me to compare)... but so far so good, the unit seems to work well enough.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #572 on: November 20, 2017, 07:35:31 pm »
that;s nice, it has presets - been waiting for that!

Offline DGM

• Contributor
    • My Useless Blog
« Reply #573 on: November 22, 2017, 08:10:07 am »
i saw that on amazon and thought it was too good to likely be true.  i guess if it is real, it'll solve the issue for prospective buyers, but i'm not going to buy an entire new unit to get rid of the problem I already bought; at least with an open firmware adaptation, everything is configurable.  It'll be neat to see if it's a good step forward though.  I'm so sick of inexpensive products that are crippled by some trivial flaw that saved no cost.  I just want to see someone break the trend.

Offline cowana

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #574 on: November 26, 2017, 12:19:34 pm »
In need of a new hot air station, I decided to go with an 858D+ station, to give me the ability to use the excellent firmware developed in this thread.

I opted to go with a model with connectors for the mains input and hot-air gun output to give me the greatest flexibility and portability. The cheapest version on Aliexpress with these options was £28. Here's the link, but I notice the price has increased to £35 since then.

Upon receiving it, the mains wiring looks to be poor; soldered connections rather than crimped, the mains switch on the neutral, random wire colours (red for earth?!), and a general poor state of assembly. I have now rewired it and fixed all these issues.

Looking at the main PCB I noticed it uses a S3F94C4EZZ-DK94 microcontroller (as many of the models in this thread do), however I haven't come across any other versions using this PCB or pin mapping. The general idea is the same, although with some differences (such as the common channels of the LED display being controlled via PNP transistors). Reverse engineering the microcontroller mapping results in the following, which does not seem to match any of the existing adapter boards:

Code: [Select]
Pinout
1 GND
2 LED_DIGIT_1
3 TRIAC DRIVE
4 REED_SWITCH
5 LED_SEG_G
6 LED_SEG_D
7 SDA / BUTTON 1
8 SCL / BUTTON 2
9 FAN DRIVE
10 NC
11 LED_SEG_DP
12 LED_SEG_E
13 LED_SEG_F
14 LED_SEG_A
15 TEMPERATURE (LPF)
16 LED_SEG_B
17 LED_DIGIT_2
18 LED_DIGIT_3
19 LED_SEG_C
20 5v

As such, I designed a new adapter board with an ATMEGA328P on it. I designed this board to have roughly the same footprint as the original DIP chip, and had it manufactured by OSH Park. The board includes an ICSP header, TL431 2.5v reference (for the ADC), and voltage divider for the fan speed measurement. SMD 2.54mm pitch headers on the underside plug into the existing chip socket.

I decided to include the TL431 voltage reference rather than a voltage divider, so the temperature readings are not affected by VCC fluctuations.

With a few small low-level modifications to the firmware (mainly related to the LED display driving), I've got a hot air station with excellent performance! After running a calibration, the temperatures are very stable, with virtually no overshoot.

I did have a significant issue with the watchdog/'RST' issue at startup, despite running the latest version (1.46) with the init1/init3 bug fixed. I tried replacing the microcontroller multiple times, including some sourced directly from Atmel - however it still went into 'RST' mode around 10% of the time on powerup. I suspect maybe the issue is related to the fact I am building the firmware within the Arduino environment rather than using AVR Studio? I decided I was happy with removing the watchdog functionality; if the chip does reset caused by the watchdog, then the gun will either be in the cradle (and the heater shouldn't get turned on), or it will be out the cradle (and thus go into the 'CRA/DLE' warning). In either case, I'll only ever have it turned on if I'm actively using it, so would spot if something went wrong in the firmware.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 12:24:32 pm by cowana »

The following users thanked this post: Joshsstuff, GodIsRealUnless DefinedInt

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf