Author Topic: Youyue 858D+ some reverse engineering + custom firmware  (Read 399586 times)

Offline Nisei

• Regular Contributor
Re: Youyue 858D+ some reverse engineering + custom firmware
« Reply #675 on: September 14, 2018, 01:46:14 pm »
I've just received an unbranded 858D+ from AliExpress (shipped from Germany).
It has plastic front and back panels and the temperature goes up to 500 degrees.
Does anyone know anything about this clone?

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #676 on: September 14, 2018, 11:47:11 pm »
Looks like all the others. Same enclosure. Different color. You'll have to open it up and post pics to find out more about it.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Nisei

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #677 on: September 15, 2018, 09:20:02 am »
Yeah I only took a quick pic to show it goes up to 500 degrees.
Here's the board. As you can see there's nothing printed on the IC.
Any idea what it may be? I was expecting a Kaleep branded one since that seems to be the only black front panel version around but it turned out to be unbranded.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 09:24:01 am by Nisei »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #678 on: September 15, 2018, 05:19:45 pm »
Yeah, even the vendors don't know what they're going to get. One was smart enough to say that if a particular internal design is important to you, don't purchase this product.

I'm not able to tell immediately which IC that is since there have been several 20-pin microcontrollers discussed here. Maybe someone more familiar with them will be able to chime in with more info. However, it's definitely not an ATmega328p (32 28 pins) as used in the early models.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 10:35:24 pm by bitseeker »

Offline Fleetz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #679 on: September 15, 2018, 06:15:02 pm »
However, it's definitely not an ATmega328p (32 pins) as used in the early models.

ATmega328P has 28 pins...

Yes I was told by an Aliexpress seller if you are definitely wanting a 858D+ with an Atmel processor then buy somewhere else.

Can’t seem to find a brand that has any reasonable certainty of Atmel inside. Buying a YouYoe brand is no guarantee as I have seen a number of different processors used.

If anyone has recently bought a 858D+ from Aliexpress or eBay that has an Atmel that can be tweaked would appreciate letting me know.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #680 on: September 15, 2018, 06:34:52 pm »
Apparently, some part of my brain was thinking about the TQFP version. D'oh! Corrected my post. Thanks, Fleetz.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 10:36:33 pm by bitseeker »

Offline Nisei

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #681 on: September 15, 2018, 09:14:30 pm »
Page 24 of this thread.
Almost sure it's an MK1840D3
But thanks for the replies.

Offline stan23

« Reply #682 on: September 20, 2018, 01:16:16 pm »
PCB-Version: 858D06 (Version 6, both sides are green and mainly SMD components)
Microcontroller: MK1840D3

Build or order the adapter PCB designed by GiantGnome/wgujbas
This is necessary because madworms firmware is designed for the YouYue-Version, which uses an ATMEL micro controller.
The one which is installed on the UVISTAR (MK1840D3) is something like a SAMSUNG clone.
Both uC's aren't pin-compatible, hence we need an adapter. Furthermore, the YouYue-PCB-Version is reporting the fan speed to the micro controller, the ones with an SAMSUNG or MK184... uC are not, therefore we need to place additional components on the adapter (for reading out the fan speed, giantgnome and wgujbas are using simple voltage dividers to extrapolate from the FAN-Voltage - which is set by the potentiometer - to the FAN-Speed)

Giantgnome postet his PCB here
You can simply order a bunch of three pcb's for 5$ here (includes shipping worldwide!)

I also have two PCBs left, and I'm located in Germany as well. Anyone interested?

Offline Fleetz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #683 on: September 24, 2018, 08:02:34 am »
Seems like it is a bit like Russian Roulette with what device, what board etc when it come to buying these things.

Is the a brand/model and or Aliexpress supplier that at least you know that your getting a unit that can be modified albeit with an adapter PCB? Or at least a unit that was prchased recently where there might be a chance that the same unit that is modifiable?

Cheers... 

Offline Nprod

• Contributor
« Reply #684 on: September 24, 2018, 04:47:37 pm »
I've just received an unbranded 858D+ from AliExpress (shipped from Germany).
It has plastic front and back panels and the temperature goes up to 500 degrees.
Does anyone know anything about this clone?

This looks a lot like the "Kaleep" 858D which was only sold in Germany, except without the Kaleep  :) It should be a MK1840D3 board that needs an adapter for the Atmega and the usual fixes.

Offline Fleetz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #685 on: September 26, 2018, 06:34:40 pm »
Just bought a YouYue 858D+ from Aliexpress going by some of the feedback from other purchasers it looks likely to have the 20pin Samsung MCU, but I will just have to wait and see.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-Air-Gun-700W-UYUE-858D-ESD-Soldering-Station-LED-Digital-Heat-Gun-Desoldering-Station-Upgrade/32657929118.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5ef54c4dHmBwEN

Hopefully I will be able to modify it with one of the conversion boards the some of the members here have kindly made available via Oshpark.

Offline HotAir

« Reply #686 on: September 27, 2018, 03:37:26 pm »
Hello!
Got this one today, attached photos of PCB, as DGM said above, it's AVR based, and also it looks like have a different heater element.

I don't have a thermal couple to check how accurate is, but I had seen one comment in Aliexpress, some one says it's accurate, and as you can see it does not have a calibration.

Bought it for about 30€, I was able to take the Youyue 858D+ for the same money. So what do you think, it is have advantages to taking this instead of Youyue 858D+?
In case if it will be inaccurate, the custom firmware can be modified and loaded for it also, right?

What make and model is the one you bought? Did you get this from Aliexpress?

Hi, sorry for late answer  :)
Yes I bought it from Aliexpress.
It's the model that shows DGM above my first message, and as you seen it have Atmega chip(28 pins).

As I see now on Aliexpress many sellers already sell it.
Here the >>link<< from the seller that I bought, it was the cheapest then, but now, I can find few € cheaper from another seller :D

And also, this model supposed to have a calibration mode, which is activated by pressing two buttons together, i mentioned about it >>here<< however this function does not work!!!

Offline wvoider

« Reply #687 on: October 07, 2018, 10:57:56 pm »
Hi everybody, I'm considering buying this 858D clone

The price is more or less aligned with the other 858D clones, and the reason I like it is the solid extruded aluminum chassis. Apparently this is its board:

What do you think about it, quality-wise? It seems a strange mix: a nice smd Atmega microcontroller surrounded by those lifted resistors. I wonder why the mounted them like that: is it a way to dissipate heat?

I see a ground wire going to the DIN connector, but no yellow/green wire going to the board...

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #688 on: October 08, 2018, 12:10:54 am »
Welcome to the forum, wvoider.

You'll only know what you're going to get when you receive it. There's no guarantee what's inside. Even the name on the front panel could be different or blank.

Regarding the flying resistors, those are power resistors and they can get warm to hot. By mounting them above the board, it aids heat dissipation and prevents scorching the PCB.

Oh, and with regard to the color of wires, they're not guaranteed to correspond with anything in particular, either. Trace them out to see where they go and, hence, what they're for.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 12:13:20 am by bitseeker »

The following users thanked this post: wvoider

Offline wvoider

« Reply #689 on: October 08, 2018, 08:35:33 am »
Thanks bitseeker,

I have asked the (German) seller and the station will be exactly like the one pictured, at least for what concerns the chassis and the front panel.

On the flying resistors: perhaps they're hi-pot resistors (on the 230V line to the heating element), and the distance from the PCB is to isolate them from the underlying paths. But as you say, I won't know what's inside until I open it.

I  wonder if "original" Atten 858s are to be considered of higher quality...

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #690 on: October 08, 2018, 04:06:26 pm »
Yeah, not sure. This device has been replicated many times and ways over the years. I have one that has both hot air and a soldering iron...same basic enclosure with some extra controls.

Offline Fleetz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #691 on: October 15, 2018, 06:25:42 am »
Looks like I am screwed modding the unit I just bought has a unbranded and no part number 20 pin SOIC controller.

YouYue 858D+

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #692 on: October 15, 2018, 06:58:08 am »
It depends how ambitious you are to mod it. You could still adapt the SOIC footprint by doing something like this: http://www.epboard.com/eproducts/protoadapter3.htm

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #693 on: October 16, 2018, 11:59:56 am »
that looks like a great way to rip the pads off the board!

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #694 on: October 16, 2018, 11:12:44 pm »
Wee! :-/O

Offline stan23

« Reply #695 on: October 18, 2018, 12:58:42 pm »
PCB-Version: 858D06 (Version 6, both sides are green and mainly SMD components)

Hi,
few days ago I used my 858 for the first time, and while setting the temperature to somewhere around 400°C, after maybe 2 minutes the metal part of the handle starting glowing red-orange.
I reduced the heat and let it cool down, and when I tried to heat it up the second time a few minutes later, the safety fuse (RCD) tripped soon.

It looks like a part of the heat element and the mica paper melted,  and there was a short to the metal part.

Anyone have faced this earlier?
Unfortunately I have no spare mica paper, and shipping from China will still take more than a month.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 12:43:31 pm by stan23 »

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #696 on: October 18, 2018, 01:25:22 pm »
few days ago I used my 858 for the first time, and while setting the temperature to somewhere around 400°C, after maybe 2 minutes the metal part of the handle starting glowing red-orange.
I usually reflow leaded solder paste with mine at 225˚C for my typical 2 or 4 layer boards.  I have no idea what that is in actual temperature, and it's simply based on what's needed.  If I need more I'll turn it up to 240 or 250.  400˚C sounds insanely hot and is likely to be considerably above that.  Leader solder has a melting point around 190˚C.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline stan23

« Reply #697 on: October 18, 2018, 01:45:22 pm »
Actually I wanted to unsolder a 2 mm pitch pinheader, and the unleaded tin didn't melt with lower temperatures.

I agree that the temperature is pretty high, and next time I'll use my classic soldering iron for that kind of tasks.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #698 on: October 18, 2018, 10:10:23 pm »
dont go over 370 or you can melt the plastic housing.

Offline maximilliangreat

« Reply #699 on: November 05, 2018, 10:31:26 am »
The future has arrived,

it's all smd baby :)

Hi All!
Just received 858d.
And it something new, so I decided to share.

My favorite brand :)

This connector is unpopulated.  At least 3 pins connected directly to the MCU.

Board says

LST1703
V1.0

MCU says (if I read correctly, it's kinda blury)

Eastsoft
HR7P166FGTF
GP42EFN003

I'm newbie at electronics, so I have a question.
Unit arrived a little bit damaged, I noticed dent about 25-35% of diametr on capacistor. (hard to see on photo)
Is it OK or shoul I replace capacistor? And if yes, should I use LowESR/LowImp  or ordinary capacistors is OK?

Here other images https://imgur.com/a/79UNtdd

P.S. As I lot of people asks me in PM (they got same station without capacitor) - it's 50V 47uf 105C capacitor.  Hope that helps :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 10:07:59 am by maximilliangreat »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf