Author Topic: Pixsys ATR-171 teardown.  (Read 3613 times)

Offline ResRTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • -Artificial_Intelligent-
Pixsys ATR-171 teardown.
« on: July 29, 2013, 02:39:46 pm »
This unit broke just under 6 months and I took it apart to see why. I see a traces of magic smoke, but I can't find the source. No cracks, no burns, just some black stuff on some components. Main processor MC9S08 is a 8-bit MCU by Freescale, there is also AD7795 6-Channel, low noise low power, 24-/16-Bit ?-? ADC with on-chip in-amp and reference and other misc. ST, AD and TI components. The PSU driver chip is TOP 246 PN. It has custom LED display with pretty bright red, yellow and green LED's.
I thought this supposed to withstand for years, because it controls industrial processes, but I guess I was wrong.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
Re: Pixsys ATR-171 teardown.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 02:50:22 pm »
Hard to see how this thing folds up when assembled, but the cap in the top right of the picture (next to the transformer) has had a lot of the magic smoke looking at how it is discolored.
Maybe have a look around there.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 02:54:50 pm »
that chip is toast ...
right hand side of picture just below the cap.
the cap is discolored from the chip smoke.
chip has a charred trail going downwards...
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline ResRTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • -Artificial_Intelligent-
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 04:00:52 pm »
That's TOP 246. 132kHz switching regulator DIL-8, 3,11 euros from elfa distrelec. I was suspicious about that too, will test if I get enough to buy a soldering iron and a spare part mentioned above :) . I wonder, why those regulators burn out so easily, maybe the power fluxuation has something to do with?
Edit: Sneaky little ... There is a hole at the bottom of the chip, top looked solid.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 04:04:15 pm by ResR »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 07:08:06 pm »
You are looking for trouble having a 1kV pulse on a tiny little chip with so little isolation. Slightest contamination on the die surface ( breath of the person doing a QC visual check on the wafer, or just on the die before encapsulation, or a spot of water trapped in a crack in the leadframe) and it becomes a time bomb. I prefer a separate power device and a switch die, even in the same TO package they work better.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf