Author Topic: #206 Yaesu FT 101 Series - Distorted Receive  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Radio TechTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
#206 Yaesu FT 101 Series - Distorted Receive
« on: April 15, 2019, 12:07:24 am »
Back after a long season I have brought the 101 series back.
In this video I take a look at a rig with distorted receive and a flaky VFO.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, AF6LJ, bd139

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
Re: #206 Yaesu FT 101 Series - Distorted Receive
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 07:38:45 pm »
More FT101 goodness  :-+

Keep 'em coming Buddy.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 01:51:11 am »
More FT101 goodness  :-+

Keep 'em coming Buddy.

Thanks my friend. This is one of my favorite radios to operate and work on. All the 101's and 520's from this era are great old classic rigs.  At the moment I have 7 FT-101's in the shop. Six of them are mine so many more videos to come.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 02:05:00 am »
Good to see you back - will view video shortly.  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 04:30:40 pm »
A related question. The tubes in the FT101 series are getting difficult to find, or at least good ones. Some time ago I was approached by an FT101 owner who wanted me to strip out the PA stage and the driver and install a solid-state PA. I said no, but I know that he went to someone else and got the work done.

Comments anyone?
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 10:24:35 pm »
A related question. The tubes in the FT101 series are getting difficult to find, or at least good ones. Some time ago I was approached by an FT101 owner who wanted me to strip out the PA stage and the driver and install a solid-state PA. I said no, but I know that he went to someone else and got the work done.

Comments anyone?

I remember an article in QST May of 1999 called "A new life for your FT-101". It was a conversion to 6146 tubes. The mod came from an amateur radio group from Africa.  I never liked the idea of that conversion then. Fast forward a few years I had a couple of tech friends that did the modification and it never worked as published.  There was flaky tuning on the 10 meter band.  That is when I said to them "why not solid state the thing".  We worked on the circuit for a while and my friend past away. Never got completed.

I think the idea is noble. If I had the time I would do it.

Offline tkamiya

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 02:29:30 am »
I think the problem will be the power supply.  Solid state amp of this size will take 12V 20A or so.  Of course, tube rig has 800V ish output for final.  It will also require banks of low pass filters and associated switching circuit.  It's probably better off just getting all transistor rig.

I always liked keeping radios as original as I could.  I have several FR101 and FL101.  It may not be cheap but tubes are still available.  I really hate to modernize what is now considered an antique from good old days. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf