Author Topic: #64 Collins KWM 1 Repair  (Read 3540 times)

Offline Radio TechTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
#64 Collins KWM 1 Repair
« on: July 30, 2016, 09:40:59 pm »
#64 Collins KWM 1 Repair

In this video we take a look at a transmit problem with a KWM-1 amateur radio transceiver.

The following users thanked this post: AF6LJ

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
Re: #64 Collins KWM 1 Repair
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 02:03:24 am »
That was fun.. :)
Sue AF6LJ

The following users thanked this post: Radio Tech

Offline voltz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 12:50:17 pm »
Yes, enjoyed it.  :-+

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 09:29:41 pm »
Young Players, please note:

1) Before touching an HV chassis Buddy waited until the supply had drained down to a safe level, this is important.

2) Buddy did all of his measurements using one hand, that way, if he touched something live, the shock wouldn't pass across his heart. This is also important.

3) Buddy has been doing this for a long time and he'll still be around for years, probably because he follows steps 1 & 2  :clap:

As for the final note about the screws, I must have worked for Collins in an earlier life. For as long as I can remember I have been tightening cross head screws until they formed a little 'X' at 45 degree angles then left them alone. Wood screws, machine screws, they all get that little 'X'.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 10:42:07 pm »
That was fun.. :)

Agreed. I really love working on these radios  :-+

Yes, enjoyed it.  :-+

So glad you sis. I also enjoyed doing it. Not every day you get to work on such classics as a Collins.

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 10:52:55 pm »
Young Players, please note:

1) Before touching an HV chassis Buddy waited until the supply had drained down to a safe level, this is important.

2) Buddy did all of his measurements using one hand, that way, if he touched something live, the shock wouldn't pass across his heart. This is also important.

3) Buddy has been doing this for a long time and he'll still be around for years, probably because he follows steps 1 & 2  :clap:

As for the final note about the screws, I must have worked for Collins in an earlier life. For as long as I can remember I have been tightening cross head screws until they formed a little 'X' at 45 degree angles then left them alone. Wood screws, machine screws, they all get that little 'X'.

Seeing a post like this makes me very happy  :-+

It does one good to see that folks notice these things that keep us safe. One slip and it's game over.
I try to be and show that I am safety conscious. Although I did make a mistake in this video on a particular step I performed.  I made another video today to show the correct way and currently editing it now.  Will be uploaded soon.
Thanks for the notice and pointing out safety here.

I agree. you must have been a Collins engineer in a past life.   :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf