Author Topic: #67 Eico 315 SG repair and alignment  (Read 2362 times)

Offline Radio TechTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
#67 Eico 315 SG repair and alignment
« on: August 22, 2016, 01:55:26 pm »
In this video I have a look at multiple problems with the Eico 315 signal generator. Then replace capacitors, resistors and do an alignment.

Offline voltz

• Frequent Contributor
Re: #67 Eico 315 SG repair and alignment
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 12:25:10 pm »
Another fine repair.
Was that red wire actually loose when you moved it or was it just shifting frequency as you went near it? Working on a harmonic i can imagine it was critical, but it looked like a dry joint in the video.

Thanks!

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 12:43:48 pm »
Another fine repair.
Was that red wire actually loose when you moved it or was it just shifting frequency as you went near it? Working on a harmonic i can imagine it was critical, but it looked like a dry joint in the video.

Thanks!

Although I did remove the old solder and re-solder the connection, I saw no problem with it.
The problem was the wire was just too close to the other coils and trimmers.
This is why it is always best to try and keep stuff routed per the assembly manual.

Thanks for watching.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 10:10:15 am »
I like that copper plated chassis  :) A rather large soldering iron would be needed to make a connection but it looks much nicer than steel or aluminum. What amazes me though is that something works at RF with all those long wires, I was always taught that connections at RF should be as short as possible.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 09:22:33 am »
I like that copper plated chassis  :) A rather large soldering iron would be needed to make a connection but it looks much nicer than steel or aluminum. What amazes me though is that something works at RF with all those long wires, I was always taught that connections at RF should be as short as possible.

Yep, takes a big iron to heat that chassis.
Agreed on the long wires. Amazing what they could design and make work back then.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf