Author Topic: Anritsu MS2721B Opinions Sort  (Read 1468 times)

Offline charliedeltaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Anritsu MS2721B Opinions Sort
« on: March 24, 2018, 08:47:42 am »
Hi Group

Anyone have any negative opinions about the Anritsu MS2721B. I am considering purchasing a 7ghz unit with tracking generator. I like this unit because it has demod including SSB and EMC bandwidths and quasi peak as standard. I could blow the same money on a Rigol but would have to spend a lot on the options.

Any comments good bad or ugly about this unit would be appreciated. I know its not longer supported and dealing with Anritsu can be like dealing with a secret society.

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
Re: Anritsu MS2721B Opinions Sort
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 04:34:45 pm »
I've had one without a TG and it is a nice unit, but the sweep speed performance of a benchtop SA is way different from a handheld.  I believe the cap is 10 sweeps per second on the MS2721B with current firmware, and I believe the default full span sweep time is something like 1.5 seconds.  Compare this to a benchtop unit and there is no comparison... you can expect 2-3 times the maximum update rate and probably a quarter or less time per sweep in most cases.  The buttons always respond (no missed inputs), but when the sweep time is long it can take extra time for the buttons respond.

At one point I contacted Anritsu for a replacement part and they were actually quite friendly to work with, I was buying a replacement kickstand and the rep I spoke with called me back and said they found a used one lying around and sent it to me for free.  They were also willing to sell software options for it, still, but I believe they were full launch price, so hardly worth it when buying secondhand and an option or two would be 50% of the total price.

Great for making measurements, good low noise performance, smaller footprint and portable anywhere, but much slower overall to work with, as I think probably goes with most handheld units.  I found that most of my work was at the desk and was sort of scanning around for stuff, so I swapped over to a benchtop unit and enjoy having the extra update rate.

Offline slurry

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 08:53:31 pm »
If the purpose is pre-compliance tests on the bench, you would be way better off with a cheap Siglent SSA3021,
adding the option for EMC and i also suggest the software EMCview.
For really narrow band checks and portable interference hunting, yes, the Anritsu would do the job quite well.

Offline charliedeltaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 05:18:37 am »
Thanks all who replied. I will digest this information and consider my options.

The Siglent looks like a good buy and i like the screen size.

Thanks

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 02:01:15 pm »
These units are built and serviced in the US. Quality unit ruggedized for field use. I'd sure like a spec an with TG.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf