Author Topic: Can a radio rf section be aligned without access to signal gen with modulation?  (Read 2529 times)

Offline SpecmasterTopic starter

• Super Contributor
I thought that I would have a go at restoring an old HMV transistor radio MW/LW and FM. It has become very clear that the RF section has been messed about with and requires realigning. Years ago I had a signal generator with modulation built in that gave me a 400hz signal that could be used to detect when each section was tuned correctly.

My current signal generator does not have the ability of modulation so I was wondering if there was another way of doing the alignment using the standard signal generator and an oscilloscope or is that not possible?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
This. Best thing is tune to a known station, tweak the VFO can until you are on top of the dial and station at the same time, then tweak the IF cans until it is loudest. Don't really need a signal gen for AM radios.

Offline SpecmasterTopic starter

• Super Contributor
No this radio is a portable MW / LW and FM radio for listening to commercial broadcast stations in the UK. It has no SW or transceiver capabilities at all.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline LaserSteve

• Super Contributor
A few 1n914 diodes, some resistors, a pair of decoupling caps, maybe a small inductor, and you have a crude but workable AM source with the existing signal generator. Your using the diodes as PIN switches or PIN attenuator.

Steve
"What the devil kind of Engineer are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse?"

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf