Author Topic: Connect rtl-sdr to 1V p-p sine wave source  (Read 2216 times)

Offline freebilTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Connect rtl-sdr to 1V p-p sine wave source
« on: August 13, 2016, 09:10:44 am »
Hello. Is it possible to connect to rtl-sdr voltage signals? I read in another thread that it is possible with attenuator? Thanks.

Offline whalphen

• Regular Contributor
Re: Connect rtl-sdr to 1V p-p sine wave source
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 01:59:57 pm »
Yes, you can feed your signal through an attenuator to reduce it to the level that's safe for the SDR.  The amount of attenuation depends on the maximum level specified for the SDR.  You can use the formula, dB = 20 log(Vin / Vout), to calculate the needed attenuation.  Alternatively you can feed the signal into a resistor and then place the SDR antenna in the vicinity of the resistor to pick up the radiated signal.  This approach is less consistent or repeatable, but I use it frequently to look at spectral shapes.

Offline freebilTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2016, 04:23:56 pm »
Thank you very much for the answer, but I cant find the maximum level for the sdr. I have this sdr
http://www.rtl-sdr.com/new-products-rtl-sdr-with-1ppm-tcxo-sma-f-connector-r820t2-bias-tee-improved-tolerances-direct-sampling-break-out-pads-now-available-in-our-store/ .
I will send an email to manufacter of this but what to ask? What is the maximum level of voltage that this sdr can handle as input?

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2016, 04:51:53 pm »
I simply made a small loop of solid copper wire and terminated it with 50 ohm.   Connected that to my frequency generator.   Thar was more than enough signal to calibrate my RTL-SDR.

I then tuned up a few known stations of high accuracy (NIST stations).

Such free-air testing is frowned upon, but given the very low signal level and the short time I used it, I figured it was OK.

John
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 04:54:42 pm by jpanhalt »

Offline Ammar

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 07:57:05 am »
I fed about 100mW of RF power into and rtl-sdr without an attenuator thinking it would damage the device. It got a little warm, but worked fine,

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf