Author Topic: Damping Crystal Filter Oscillation (SOLVED)  (Read 2330 times)

Online jpanhaltTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Damping Crystal Filter Oscillation (SOLVED)
« on: May 05, 2017, 02:43:28 pm »
I built a 500 kHz crystal filter using somewhat "matched" ceramic resonators (schematic attached).  The design is based on a series of articles by Wes Hayward found in QST (See: QST May, 1982).  When sweeped, it shows a satisfactory  passband for my needs.

When challenged with a burst (Rigol DG1032Z), it continues to oscillate for about 2 ms after the stimulus (attached). 
Legend: Yellow = filter output; Blue = input burst at 500 kHz 

Is such slow damping an inherent characteristic, or can I reduce it and how?   Would an actual quartz crystal filter show faster damping?

Regards, John
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 02:11:51 pm by jpanhalt »

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: Damping Crystal Filter Oscillation
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 03:02:00 pm »
Read up on the Fourier transform.

If you want a short pulse, you need a wide bandwidth.
If you need a narrow bandwidth, you need a long pulse.

This is true for baseband (step response, pulses, general signals: a center frequency of 0Hz), as well as RF (the same sorts of signals, around a carrier; a center frequency higher than the signal bandwidth).  So, a wavelet with narrow bandwidth must ring for a long time.

If you need short impulse response, consider a Bessel type bandpass.  Don't be surprised if the frequency response turns out horrible, though. :)

Likewise, we can see what your above measurement has produced: notice the tone burst starts on a sharp corner -- it's differentiated through the network's series capacitance, not "filtered" at all.  (One property of the crystal ladder filter is, the asymptotic response -- the attenuation at frequencies far from Fc -- is not very good, typically 20dB per crystal used, with peaks and dips at various spurious frequencies where the crystals have secondary resonances.  They are best used when combined with a fairly sharp, modest order, LC filter.)  This is also why the amplitude is so small: the tone burst length needs to be on the order of 1/BW to see the output ring up to its full output.  The ringing seen afterwards is the impulse response (since such a short burst is near enough an impulse, being much shorter than 1/BW), which will have the same form (decay over time) for a longer burst, as is seen here.

Finally, your scope measurement will need to reflect the signal as well.  I suggest triggering on the generator's GATE output signal (or AUX or whatever it's called), setting horizontal timebase on the order of 1/BW, and setting acquisition to peak detect mode.  (An analog scope will read the RF envelope just fine; a newer scope may not need peak detect if it has deep memory, samples faster than the center frequency, and displays the waveform with antialiasing.)

Cheers :)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

The following users thanked this post: daqq, jpanhalt

Online jpanhaltTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Damping Crystal Filter Oscillation (SOLVED)
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 02:17:38 pm »
Thank you.   I thought what I was seeing (misinterpreting) on the oscilloscope was too good to be true.  The filter output at that time was just a mirror of the input (blue trace) and was not sensitive to the burst frequency set on the signal generator.   When I extended the burst to 1000 cycles, the crystal started up, and response to the SG frequency was as expected.   Attached is a screen shot of that result.

John

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 05:28:09 pm »
Ah, nice simple single pole envelope. :)

(Which means it's actually a complex pole pair, because it's oscillating all the while.  But there aren't any pole pairs near that pair, otherwise the envelope would be different, it might bounce a bit, or be more rounded.  The envelope is the Fourier transform of the bandpass frequency response, so it follows the step response of whatever filter prototype you have.)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline Richard Head

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 08:37:39 pm »
A carefully designed and built noise blanker will make a huge difference.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf