Author Topic: Did anyone hear anything strange on SW during the last eclipse?  (Read 983 times)

Offline BeaminTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
I just thought of this just now, but I will have to wait 6 more years to try it again. I noticed the best short wave is during sunset and maybe sunrise but haven't tried that. For about 20 minutes on some where below 12 MHz but that could be because of my antenna I seem to be able to receive all over asia from the US. In the US SW is plagued by recoding's of religious programing that's hateful and repetitive so it's not worth  listening to other then checking to see what propagation is like since its the same voice from the same location. I was surprised to hear how factual the news was in places like india where they tell about crops and other survival things. Much different then hearing about celebrities personal lives.

But the eclipse must have made all sorts of strange effects since that would be in between day and night and open close layers of the ionosphere not normally open unlike sunset. Much more exciting then looking at shadows or feeling the temperature change in the middle of the day which I wasn't expecting. In the mid Atlantic we had a partial eclipse where the normally bright day sun made everything look like it was a winter noon.
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
Re: Did anyone hear anything strange on SW during the last eclipse?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 09:17:38 am »
The various HF bands will come in & out of being "open".
Hams have experienced & documented this over many years.

Offline babysitter

• Frequent Contributor
  • pushing silicon at work
Re: Did anyone hear anything strange on SW during the last eclipse?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 09:18:53 am »
Some hams compared stuff before the 2017 US eclipse to stuff during the eclipse. In 1999 during a european, I was listening on the 80m and heard what was similar to a day-night change.

http://hamsci.org/basic-project/2017-total-solar-eclipse

Hendrik
I'm not a feature, I'm a bug! ARC DG3HDA

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf