Author Topic: Distribution amplfiers - comments on schematic/PCB?  (Read 1267 times)

Offline awallinTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Distribution amplfiers - comments on schematic/PCB?
« on: January 28, 2017, 12:33:31 pm »
I've thrown together another iteration of my 1PPS + 10 MHz distribution amplifier designs:
https://goo.gl/photos/WB8fYd4jzba7nXH18

Performance is good overall but there is always room for improvement for the next version:
- the long trace that feeds the outputs on the op-amp design seems to "ring" causing gain-peaking - some impedance matching or design change would be required? what?
- fed at +/-12VDC the regulators get quite hot, better move them far away and maybe thermally isolate with a slot in the PCB?
- I've used 2k@100MHz ferrites a lot - maybe this is overkill/paranoia but I should probably build an LNA and verify the regulator/PSRR performance
- on the 1PPS board length-matching the traces didn't fully work as there is still 200ps channel skew. 200ps corresponds to 36mm of propagation at 0.6c which seems like too much??
- any other good/bad things you RF gurus out there see with the designs?

(these might go on github and/or ohwr.org if they improve a bit further and there is interest..)

thanks!
Anders

Offline mmagin

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Distribution amplfiers - comments on schematic/PCB?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 05:43:47 pm »
I'm very interested to hear what the experienced folks have to say about the length-matched traces.  I'm not sure if those squiggles are okay, but I'd love to hear why my intuition is right or wrong.

Do you have a list of all the performance metrics you want this design to achieve?  It seems like a much more serious approach than the usual 'just get reasonably clean 10 MHz to all of my test gear'.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf