Author Topic: Fast impulse from fast-rise-time square wave (microwave)  (Read 7005 times)

Offline ezalysTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Fast impulse from fast-rise-time square wave (microwave)
« on: October 31, 2018, 01:23:12 am »
Suppose I have a very high bandwidth (harmonics up to/beyond 12.5 GHz) square wave (from say a ONET8501P). What's the most reliable way to derive a train of narrow impulses from this square wave? It seems to me that differentiating and rectifying might be a good way to go... but I probably shouldn't trust a single capacitor to be a good differentiator up to high frequencies. Any recommendations from the microwave gurus out there?

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
Re: Fast impulse from fast-rise-time square wave (microwave)
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 02:04:53 am »
I'm certainly not a microwave guru, but if you need  a signal source for testing I suggest you check out Leo Bodnar's fast rise time 10 MHz square wave modules.

http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=124&zenid=58b771673c16e5a14713fc19019d82e8

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 02:12:23 am »
I ultimately want to build a sampler from a circuit like that (modified for differential out)... hence why I need to derive sharp pulses from it.

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 02:45:19 am »
I assume you have a *very* fast scope.  My BNC version was measured by Leo at 36 pS.  Nominally that's a 14 GHz spike.  My fastest scope is a LeCroy that goes to 1.5 GHz.  This portends an interesting thread if you tell us what worked.  I'm hoping to hack my LeCroy to 3 GHz.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 03:20:47 am »
I have access to a modern 30 GHz sampling scope. I also have the sampling module from a frequency counter, which can be hacked into a high quality sampler with a bandwidth of 12 GHz. I also am not attached to retaining the full 12 GHz bandwidth of the square wave... if I can obtain a pulse train where the teeth fall 3 dB or so at 4 GHz I'd be very happy. 6 and I'd be ecstatic. Whatever I make will be on Isola FR408 so I'm not trying to be a hero.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 03:25:37 am by ezalys »

Offline awallin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 05:43:33 am »
seems like a comb-generator (impulse train) is slightly different from a sharp square wave generator (?)
e.g. http://www.vk2zay.net/article/41
or http://www.ke5fx.com/cg.htm

Offline tomato

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 07:02:47 am »
Step recovery diode.

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 08:21:28 am »
A tunnel diode might help, W2AEW have an intro with more resources linked in the video description:

Another technique I would look into is the chirped pulse technique used in optics. In theory, it should work for microwaves, too.

Do you have any specification numbers for the pulses you want to achieve?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 08:42:43 am »
Another technique I would look into is the chirped pulse technique used in optics. In theory, it should work for microwaves, too.

It certainly works for radars. In the 70s there were radars with 1MW peak and 10kW mean outputs.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 08:55:36 am »
You didn't mention voltages, so...

Take the output, split into two, invert one, have slightly different delays on each output, recombine them. If you have a differential output, the splitting is unnecessary.

Differential delay could be via wire length or a digital delay ic such as
https://www.digikey.co.uk/products/en/integrated-circuits-ics/clock-timing-delay-lines/688?k=programmable%20delay

The details are left as an exercise for the student.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 09:56:16 am »
I have used shorted stub method (made from connectors lying around) just for playing purposes. Leo's pulser on 500MHz scope:

Offline jungle vegetable

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2018, 12:24:59 pm »
Both small-value SMD capacitors and inductors (just a few mm of wire across the microstrip or connector) work quite well for this application (and, specifically, with ONET8501P). Inductors made from wire are easier since some tuning is required to obtain maximum pulse amplitude. Pulses, obviously, will be of alternating polarity, so a frequency doubler (or a passive mixer in general) might be required afterwards

Offline jungle vegetable

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 12:40:59 pm »
Here are some pulses made by shorting the SMA connector with a 1mm hex key that was lying around (100MHz square wave is from the ONET8501P, one division is 625ps, dots/samples are 5ps apart)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 12:42:37 pm by jungle vegetable »

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 12:42:39 pm »
If you are making a PCB any way, just put a shorted stub on the transmission line.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 02:27:19 pm »
Why does a stub work? How long should the stub be?

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2018, 03:01:33 pm »
Why does a stub work? How long should the stub be?

Good question, I thought I understood why ...  I only have a very approximate understanding though on reflection :) The principle is easy, the current pulse splits at the stub, then when the negative reflection comes from the grounded end it cuts the signal to the other branch to zero. So instead of a square wave you get pulses at the edges.

That said, how exactly it works with impedances I have no idea. When I put it in a simulator it tells me the stub impedance should be 25 Ohm to make it work perfectly, with other impedances you get multiple reflections and a screwed up trailing edge. Is the simulator screwing up? I have no idea.

PS. twice the length of the stub divided by (lightspeed*Velocity-factor) gives the length of the pulse, ignoring rise time.

PPS. if you wonder why the 36 mA current source, the ONET8501P can have a 900 mV signal, which with CML, it's internal 50 Ohm resistors and assuming it's driving a 50 Ohm terminated transmission line means it's switching 36 mA.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 03:37:07 pm by Marco »

Offline mark03

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2018, 03:12:43 pm »

It certainly works for radars. In the 70s there were radars with 1MW peak and 10kW mean outputs.

AFAIK with radar you never have the pulse-compressed (non-chirped) signal at high power---there's no reason you'd want to.  The chirp is collapsed as part of the receive/imaging path.

Offline jungle vegetable

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2018, 03:31:29 pm »
Btw, LTspice is quite excellent at simulating transmission lines (it even has lossy ones, but they aren't really needed if you do short runs of FR4 or coax). Shorted stub effectively acts as a filter to block the DC component of the square wave (could also be approximated as a parallel LC notch filter)

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2018, 03:41:17 pm »
Shorted stub effectively acts as a filter to block the DC component of the square wave (could also be approximated as a parallel LC notch filter)

That's the theory, but the moment you start contemplating the time domain impact of impedance mismatches it gets a bit headache inducing. From the point of view of the feed in transmission line, the stub is in parallel with the output transmission line after all ... so there's an impedance mismatch. That said, I think the simulator (simetrix in this case) has it right and the stub should be 25 Ohm impedance. Or you could put two 50 Ohm impedance stubs either side of the transmission line so you can use the same trace widths everywhere.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 04:04:39 pm by Marco »

Offline jungle vegetable

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2018, 04:56:41 pm »
That's the theory, but the moment you start contemplating the time domain impact of impedance mismatches it gets a bit headache inducing. From the point of view of the feed in transmission line, the stub is in parallel with the output transmission line after all ... so there's an impedance mismatch
Sure, that is only an approximation and to get accurate result you need more than one LC circuit (it think SPICE simulators do something along these lines anyway). Interestingly enough, stub impedance controls the falling edge decay -- impedance above 25 ohm generates (stepped) exponential decay while below 25 ohm results in decaying oscillations

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2018, 05:16:01 pm »

AFAIK with radar you never have the pulse-compressed (non-chirped) signal at high power---there's no reason you'd want to.  The chirp is collapsed as part of the receive/imaging path.

You only have low power non-chirped signals in RoGeorge's graphic.

But I agree with your statement. I believe the radar's chirped Tx signal (2 in the graphic) was synthesised rather than stretched from a pulse (1).

Offline aandrew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2018, 05:43:34 pm »
Marco, what software are you using for your simulation shown in the schematic and graphing output?

Offline mark03

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2018, 05:46:01 pm »

You only have low power non-chirped signals in RoGeorge's graphic.

But I agree with your statement. I believe the radar's chirped Tx signal (2 in the graphic) was synthesised rather than stretched from a pulse (1).

Are you sure about this?  I'm not familiar with the laser technique, but I heard the inventor interviewed on public radio and I thought they said the whole thing was designed for the purpose of achieving higher peak-power laser pulses.  I think they were saying it couldn't be done before this invention because of some peak-power limitation intrinsic to the lasing apparatus.

Back to the original goal, it would be cool if there were some sort of dispersive transmission line which you could drive with a chirp and get a real bang out the other end.  I imagine obtaining the ultra-wideband chirp (DC-ish to 10s of GHz) in the first place is the hard part.  Radar chirps are nowhere near that broadband AFAIK.

Online ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2018, 06:07:52 pm »
Are you sure about this?  I'm not familiar with the laser technique, but I heard the inventor interviewed on public radio and I thought they said the whole thing was designed for the purpose of achieving higher peak-power laser pulses.  I think they were saying it couldn't be done before this invention because of some peak-power limitation intrinsic to the lasing apparatus.

With lasers people definitely recombine the amplified chirp into a short pulse with high peak power.  The reason for this is to strongly drive non-linear interactions that depend on peak signal strength. For instance, if you want to do optical comb generation with a non-linear fiber, you want high peak power to drive high harmonic generation.  Also, there are experiments people do on atoms where they need a high peak electric field compared to the electric field of the nucleus. 

Radar systems are (ideally) linear, so it would make more sense to transmit the chirp then apply the phase shift to bring it back to a pulse on receive.  This avoids non-linear interactions while preserving the good time resolution of a fast pulse.  If there are microwave applications where the high peak power pulse is desirable, you certainly could shift the chirp back into a pulse.

Offline jungle vegetable

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2018, 06:23:50 pm »
Back to the original goal, it would be cool if there were some sort of dispersive transmission line which you could drive with a chirp
There are NLTLs made from transmission lines and varactors: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~hajimiri/pdf/non-linear.transmission.pdf

Some specific NLTLs manufactured on GaAs MMIC processes achieve sub-picosecond risetimes

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf