Author Topic: Ferrite chokes and transformers at 433MHz?  (Read 1048 times)

Offline oroloTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Ferrite chokes and transformers at 433MHz?
« on: November 12, 2017, 01:34:12 pm »
I'm experimenting with Microchip's (now obsolete) MRF49XA. I have a very good kit of Johanson SMD caps, but I lack SMD inductors, and I can't linger too much with this experiment, so I've decided to try ferrites. I intend to feed a resonant loop antenna (about 12cm radius). I have several doubts I'd be grateful to have them cleared before the pain of building the twin of this circuit to send/receive. With one model I can at least check if there is MCU connection and programming before moving on.

1. The differential RF IO of this chip is open collector, so I need a choke to Vcc for both pins. I've made a choke out of several bifilar turns of 0.1mm wire around a FT-23-43, and the connected them as a differential mode choke (see attachment). Is this reasonable/will it work?

2. To feed the antenna, I plan to use a 1:3 transformer made out of a FT38-67 toroid, followed by a short (few cm) run of two cables taken from an IDE drive (hopefully, around 150 ohms impedance) directly into the antenna.

3. I will have to add some inductance to both RF outputs to compensate for the MRF49XA's output capacitance. I was thinking tiny air core coils, carefully computed from the Hamwaves inductance page. Can I add just one inductor to one output for all the inductance, or is it better to make two, half value, one for each output? In this latter case I have more trouble with board space and coupling.

This is my first UHF circuit, I'm doing it in a hurry, and I don't have much experience nor test equipment to check if this is good. I know that the ferrite option will be very lossy, both in copper and core, but except for that, the concept is at least doable or just silly?

Thank you for your time.

I tried posting the image as "jpeg" and the forum didn't recognize that extension. Then renamed to "jpg", and the forum listed this post as already posted. So I don't know if this will result in multiposting. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf