Author Topic: First Iranian amateur radio contest  (Read 14885 times)

Offline Theboel

• Frequent Contributor
Re: First Iranian amateur radio contest
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2016, 10:54:16 pm »
Well, first of all the number of ham amateurs in Iran is very low (about 30)
Second: we can't find good commercial equipment on the market (like antenna tuners)
Third: Not everyone can afford a big space (yard or roof) for an antenna for those bands, especially in big cities.
(In the past, amateur radio was not very welcomed here. Neither the government nor the normal people embraced it and everyone had to install an antenna that wasn't eye-catching. For example I'm using a dipole. And out of 30 hams, just two of them have a yagi AFAIK)
[/quote]

Assalammualaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh,

Ok Thats a same problem all over the world I think many our fellow HAM will give You idea how to solve it if You want.
btw with Your permission I like to broadcast this news to my local HAM comunity

DE YB2LU

« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 11:04:28 pm by Theboel »

Offline mehdiTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2016, 08:11:32 am »
Assalammualaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh,

Ok Thats a same problem all over the world I think many our fellow HAM will give You idea how to solve it if You want.
btw with Your permission I like to broadcast this news to my local HAM comunity

DE YB2LU

Hi
I would be glad if you broadcast this to your local community.
By the way, we don't say hello like that. That's used mostly in Arabic countries. We just say "salam"

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2016, 11:43:31 am »
I checked with our regulatory. Hams with class 3 license are not allowed to operate on 80 meter. They can operate the 4 abovementioned bands. That's another reason.

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2016, 12:12:47 pm »
just curious why there is no 160m and 80m band.
Well, first of all the number of ham amateurs in Iran is very low (about 30)
Second: we can't find good commercial equipment on the market (like antenna tuners)
Third: Not everyone can afford a big space (yard or roof) for an antenna for those bands, especially in big cities.
(In the past, amateur radio was not very welcomed here. Neither the government nor the normal people embraced it and everyone had to install an antenna that wasn't eye-catching. For example I'm using a dipole. And out of 30 hams, just two of them have a yagi AFAIK)
In the spirit of DIY, there are lots of schematics available without spending a fortune for the equipment.

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2016, 01:50:06 am »
Speaking as a DXer who still needs Iran, I welcome this. Let's leave the politics to the politicians.

Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2016, 02:21:21 am »
WSPR, and the various JT modes, as well as Olivia, and probably many others (digital modes) would allow people with non-optimal antennas to get QSOs.

Do they allow use of digital modes?
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2016, 02:27:03 am »
Hey mods, Dave, how about you just strip out all these political/religious posts from this thread (including this one), which is a thread about a HAM Radio contest, posted in the RF, Microwave and HAM Radio forum.

Yep, I agree, moving religious rubbish now.
If we can't have some (rare it seems) HAM's from Iran posting here without people jumping into religion, then the forum is a lost cause.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2016, 02:45:16 am »
WSPR, and the various JT modes, as well as Olivia, and probably many others (digital modes) would allow people with non-optimal antennas to get QSOs.

I don't know if they allow those modes in Iran, but I do know the JT modes are way too slow for a much wanted DXCC like Iran. They just don't allow for the number of QSOs required. Each one is going to take minutes to complete while hundreds of stations are going to be waiting. I work the JT modes all the time and I wish I could work Iran using JT65 or JT9 but they just take too long.  :(
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2016, 05:03:25 am »
 I would love to work Iran but lots of qrm here,  psk31 is not bad  for contests and has pretty good decode s/n ratio. None of this wait for the minute to finish. ?
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2016, 07:49:51 am »

Unfortunately digital modes are not allowed for license 3 (Beginner)
For now, the only thing other than CW and SSB, is RTTY.
Our club (EP2C) will work other digital modes, but not in this contest.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2016, 09:29:34 am »
"Getting QSL card:
   If you need the printed certificate, you should send 5USD (or equivalent in your currency) to this address: “P.O. Box 14185-736 , Tehran, Iran”

Aside from the risks of losing cash when sent through the mail is it now legal to send money to Iran? I know there used to be sanctions in place and I hope that they are now lifted. Anyway, I am looking forward to your contest, I expect a pileup of monumental size the moment your callsigns are heard, see you on the air!
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline Nuno_pt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2016, 10:45:46 am »
Instead of the $5, why can't you guys ask for an LOTW account and upload all the contacts there, everybody would be happy.

I've a few contacts with Iran in all bands, all confirmed by LOTW, but I've one with an EP3S** on 40m that I will never confirm since he's asking $10 for QSL.

Best of luck for your contest, hope to work some of you guys.
Nuno
CT2IRY

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2016, 11:18:14 am »
"Getting QSL card:
   If you need the printed certificate, you should send 5USD (or equivalent in your currency) to this address: “P.O. Box 14185-736 , Tehran, Iran”

Aside from the risks of losing cash when sent through the mail is it now legal to send money to Iran? I know there used to be sanctions in place and I hope that they are now lifted. Anyway, I am looking forward to your contest, I expect a pileup of monumental size the moment your callsigns are heard, see you on the air!

As far as I know, it's not under sanctions to send money for a QSL card (we've had QSL exchanges without problems)

@Nuno_pt : None of these hams have LOTW account. Nearly all of them (except some old hams) have gotten their license in 2014.

Offline Nuno_pt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2016, 11:45:21 am »
@Nuno_pt : None of these hams have LOTW account. Nearly all of them (except some old hams) have gotten their license in 2014.

LOTW account is very easy, take a copy of your license and copy of one document put in a letter sent it to ARRL, download TQSL program, fill in what is ask, upload the request certificate, and wait for ARRL send the registration back to you by email.

After that nothing more is need, just upload your QSO's to LOTW.

See here < https://lotw.arrl.org/lotw-help/getting-started/ >
Nuno
CT2IRY

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf