Author Topic: Good Antenna for Handhelt CB Radio?  (Read 5025 times)

Offline Lord of nothingTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Good Antenna for Handhelt CB Radio?
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2018, 08:43:06 pm »
In some Forum someone sayed that this Antenne should be better: https://www.mwf-service.com/shop/procom-sb-27-1-4-fme-cb-funk-portableantenne-mit-bnc-adapter.html
but it look like the are stiff and non flexible? Right?
Thanks
Made in Japan, destroyed in Sulz im Wienerwald.

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2018, 08:30:35 am »
You can use any mobile whip with a handheld with a bnc to 3/8 adapter (or tnc to 3/8)

Offline OE2WHP

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2018, 08:48:22 am »
Yes, also a good choice. It's not a flexible whip but it aint a stiff rod either. It's a foldable steel band. Similar to a tape measure. The screw at the bottom gives you more flexibility in positioning the radio on the backpack, still remaining the antenna upright.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2018, 09:01:14 am »
I found an German shop who offer the K-PO Panther for 98,00 € but the normally not ship to Austria.  :--  :rant:
The also offer the Albrecht Antenna so if I can order the Radio I will use the Albrecht to.

Offline OE2WHP

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2018, 06:52:36 am »
You know http://logoix.com ?

Make yourself an account there and they will forward your shipments from germany to Austria for a reasonable fee.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2018, 01:01:06 pm »
No, it is not but it is what most CBers are happy with and its quite cheap.

If you want to spent €120 and haul an almost 2m long antenna around, you also could use a Diamond RHM-8B, which is a telescopic amateur radio antenna. Tunable from 7 to 50MHz. Lenght is 177cm, retracted lenght is ~40cm. You will need an antenna tuner to get it tuned right.  But be aware, the antenna rod is not flexible and if it gets catched in a tree it might break. Also an antenna rod this long will put a lot of mechanical force to the BNC connector of the radio when you move. This might induce damage to the housing and or pcb. However, performance will be better due to the lenght of the radiating element.

That is easily solved by a short length of coax and fixing the antenna independently from the radio - which is a good idea anyway, simply for the ease of use (antenna on the backpack, radio in the front where the hiker can actually reach it).

On the other hand, walking around with a 2m long whip, antenna tuner and what not - jeeze.

I wonder why the OP actually needs 11m CB - if it is to stay in contact with others on a hike, then something like a PMR walkie-talkie would be a lot more practical.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2018, 05:02:19 pm »
if it is to stay in contact with others on a hike, then something like a PMR walkie-talkie would be a lot more practical.
I will talk to other CB Users but I have no Car so.  :=\

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2018, 06:22:12 pm »
if it is to stay in contact with others on a hike, then something like a PMR walkie-talkie would be a lot more practical.
I will talk to other CB Users but I have no Car so.  :=\

Not sure I follow what you mean ...  :-//

PMR are tiny pocket radios good for short range comms - e.g. between groups of hikers. They are more practical than CB because they work in the UHF bands and so can be very compact without compromising performance. It is much easier to carry a PMR radio than a CB with a big antenna.

Of course, if talking to CB users is a requirement then PMR won't help you.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf