Author Topic: Good Antenna for Handhelt CB Radio?  (Read 4983 times)

Offline Lord of nothingTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Good Antenna for Handhelt CB Radio?
« on: May 02, 2018, 05:19:31 pm »
Hi
I will buy some Handhelt CB Radio for my Backpack who fit into an Radio Pouch.  ;)
The Antenna have to mount on my backpack to.
So which Antenna are recommend?
Thanks
Made in Japan, destroyed in Sulz im Wienerwald.

Offline vk3yedotcom

• Frequent Contributor
    • vk3ye dot com (radio articles and projects)
Re: Good Antenna for Handhelt CB Radio?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 07:59:04 pm »
I take it's a 27 MHz CB radio (some countries have CB on UHF and the answer will be different for that)?

Your choices are either some sort of vertical whip or loop.

Short whips are lossy so the longer the better.

An example short vertical about 1 or 1.2m long (this one operates multiple bands but can be simplified if you just want 27 MHz)

http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/projects/projped.htm

A longer vertical about 5m long (this would be a half wavelength so would be quite efficient).  Again multiband but can be simplified.

http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/projects/projwade.htm

The loop is bulky but ground independent. This one does 21 - 50 MHz so would work on 27 MHz.

http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/projects/projsum.htm

Contacts of >1000km are possible with both the latter two antennas during summer from low powered hand-carried equipment.
NEW! Ham Radio Get Started: Your success in amateur radio. One of 8 ebooks available on amateur radio topics. Details at  https://books.vk3ye.com

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 08:57:41 pm »
For stationary field use and good performance, I like the twin lead j-pole. I think you are kinda stuck with a lossy whip for portable use.

I could not watch any of those videos posted on the linked sites. Too time consuming, would rather see a sketch or skim text.

I have also been very fond of loop antennas for lower noise, so will look into that magnetic loop more.

Offline OE2WHP

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 08:14:05 am »
Hi Lord of nothing,

as already mentioned, the short verticals are very inefficient due to their small size compared to wavelenght. Remember, CB is short wave radio.  However, there are not much options if you need mobile operation. Take the longest vertical whip antenna you can find but be aware that these must be used while directly connected to the radio. Otherwise you would need to think about a counter poise (radials) on your back pack as well.

If portable operation is what you are looking for, I would go with a half wavelenght dipole with a coax transformer mounted on a telescopic 3m whip, configured as "Inverted V".
Still not too bulky or heavy, easy to set up, even easy to build and excellent performance.

Here is how you can build it your own. You just need connectors, coax cable and wire: https://www.previval.org/forum/blogs/nudnik/486175-funkantenne-die-keine-masse-oder-radials-braucht-wurfantenne

Here is a commercial version: http://lambdahalbe-shop.de/epages/61894e0c-6738-4e1d-a4bc-f12f2d9ab60e.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61894e0c-6738-4e1d-a4bc-f12f2d9ab60e/Products/17

« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 08:17:22 am by OE2WHP »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 08:40:37 am »
THX for Replay but I need an Whip Antenna. An Directional Antenna is prohibited to use on CB.
I will use the Antenna only on the Radio direct. The Antenna must fit onto my Backpack so I can use the Public Transport.  ;D

Offline OE2WHP

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 10:40:43 am »
The antenna I mentioned is not directional. It is radiating radial.

It is supersmall because it's just a bunch of wire. A 3m mast colapses down to ~60cm and weighs ~800g (e.g.: http://www.joachims-gmbh.de/detail_blatt/GFK33STV.html), there are even 10m masts with a colapsed lenght of 67cm availlable ( http://www.dx-wire.de/10m-gfk-mast-mini.html ) but you also could hang the wire in a tree or use a fishing rod.

The only downside is, although its portable you can't work mobile (while moving).

https://www.darc.de/der-club/distrikte/g/ortsverbaende/09/detailansicht/news/die-lambda-halbe-koax-antenne-l-h-k-a/

« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 10:44:27 am by OE2WHP »

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 11:23:56 am »
If you're going to buy the radio why doesn't it come with an antenna, which model is it?

Most handheld CBs will come with a telescopic whip, possibly a centre loaded one,give it a go, you might be surprised.

If that's no good then we need a few details about how you intend to use the radio, will you be mobile or will you be static?

OE2WHP and VK3YEDotcom have both made good suggestions.

Often your body is 'used' as the counterpoise for a handheld CB so it may make it less efficient if you can't hold the radio when it's in use

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 01:06:49 pm »
His or any of the Clones (who are on the bottom of the Page): http://www.cbradio.nl/president/randy_II.htm
The Antenna who get supplied with is crap everyone told me that. So when I buy I need some other who can be mount directly on the Radio.
I use this Radio Pouch: https://www.511tactical.com/radio-pouch.html to have the Radio on the Right side of my Packpack and I will get some Speaker Mice to use them while it is on my Packpack.  :-+

Offline OE2WHP

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 01:36:55 pm »
The antenna that comes with this radio is more an unshielded dummy load than an antenna :-D

Have you checked the  Albrecht Hyflex CL 27 BNC antenna?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 02:50:23 pm »
 ;D thats why I asked for an better one.  :-DD
Looks good are there any better available in Europe?
Stupid Question when I mount the Antenna on my Molle Rig the Plastic should not block the RF Signal?  :-[  :palm:

Offline OE2WHP

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 03:02:15 pm »
Are there any better availlable? Maybe, but this is a well known and frequently used antenna in the CB community.
As a rule of thumb, the longer it is, the better it will perform.

Will plastic block RF? No. However, it might detune the antenna somewhat and dampen signals somewhat.
Best performance is achieved with a long antenna in free space. Everything else is a compromise that will reduce performance.
A 50cm antenna for the 11m band already is a huge compromise, to begin with. I doubt that your backpack can make it noticeable worse.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 03:08:18 pm by OE2WHP »

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2018, 03:09:38 pm »
I can only really give you uk links, that may give you some ideas, back in the day I had a sirio base and centre loaded whip what was around 40cm tall what worked very well, iirc it was a sirio one

have a look here

http://www.kcb.co.uk/

https://www.moonraker.eu/

http://www.sirioantenne.it/en/

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 03:12:20 pm »
my HH cb radios came with telescoping center loaded antennas that extend as long as my arms can stretch.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 03:34:08 pm »
my HH cb radios came with telescoping center loaded antennas that extend as long as my arms can stretch.

It is the same with mine which I have not used in 20+ years.  The built in center loaded telescoping antenna works pretty well when extended but is fragile and inconvenient unless stationary.  I seem to recall having a rubber ducky antenna which could clamp onto the top of the built in telescoping antenna when it was retracted but it did not work very well; it was something like this.

I like the idea of a twin lead j-pole style antenna but I think a simple coaxial half wave would be just as good.  The coaxial antenna does not require a balun but has a built in 1:1.5 SWR mismatch which is not significant.  But both are long enough, roughly 5.5 meters obviously, to present difficulties setting up.

A loaded quarter wave works pretty well when mounted on a good ground plane like a dumpster or trash can.  I would not want to carry a stiff antenna longer than a tent pole section while hiking though.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2018, 03:39:50 pm »
I never see any on new CB Radios. For example: http://www.cbradio.nl/cobra/50WXST.htm
Look nice but sadly no FM  :-//  :palm: and non Telescopic Antenna.

I use an Siro on the Rooftop for the stationary CB Radio.  ;D

I could find any other Antenna for the Handheld Radio than the Albrecht.
When I use the Radio in the City I cant use any of ne nice and fancy Antenna who have an huge gain.  ^-^

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2018, 04:31:13 pm »
I think you talking limitation by regulation.

Did you notice the marque on the website you linked: "www.cbradio.nl does not sell radios or amplifiers."

MFJ-1963 is a telescopic whip, 72" to 14" (183cm to 36cm). You would need to build a matching section. Yes, it's fragile.

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2018, 04:49:32 pm »
Iirc the old midland portapak had a reasonable aerial for a oe aerial

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2018, 05:02:01 pm »
I never see any on new CB Radios. For example: http://www.cbradio.nl/cobra/50WXST.htm
Look nice but sadly no FM  :-//  :palm: and non Telescopic Antenna.

I use an Siro on the Rooftop for the stationary CB Radio.  ;D

I could find any other Antenna for the Handheld Radio than the Albrecht.
When I use the Radio in the City I cant use any of ne nice and fancy Antenna who have an huge gain.  ^-^

The Midland Alan 42 multi is still available new, as is the Albrecht AE-2990AFS and the President Randy

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2018, 05:42:20 pm »
Plenty of new CB radios out there if you want them,a few UK places selling them and I'm sure there are many others, across Europe too,

radioworld.co.uk
thunderpole.co.uk
moonraker.eu

lots to buy and lots of places selling them.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2018, 06:43:36 pm »
The Midland Alan 42 multi is still available new, as is the Albrecht AE-2990AFS
The are not Water-tide.
Its not an Problem to get an Radio or found the Antenna online if I know what I need to buy.  >:D

Offline CopperCone

• Super Contributor
  • *knock knock*
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2018, 07:33:53 pm »
what happened to the boy scouts? I thought they were just getting a name change.

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2018, 08:38:18 pm »
what happened to the boy scouts? I thought they were just getting a name change.

(that was the other thread)

Yes, but it's the reason for the change and what brought them there.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2018, 08:34:51 am »
So what does it have to do with the CB Radio Antenna?  :-X
The Albrecht Antenna is the only one?  :popcorn:

Offline OE2WHP

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2018, 09:12:49 am »
No, it is not but it is what most CBers are happy with and its quite cheap.

If you want to spent €120 and haul an almost 2m long antenna around, you also could use a Diamond RHM-8B, which is a telescopic amateur radio antenna. Tunable from 7 to 50MHz. Lenght is 177cm, retracted lenght is ~40cm. You will need an antenna tuner to get it tuned right.  But be aware, the antenna rod is not flexible and if it gets catched in a tree it might break. Also an antenna rod this long will put a lot of mechanical force to the BNC connector of the radio when you move. This might induce damage to the housing and or pcb. However, performance will be better due to the lenght of the radiating element.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 12:44:44 pm by OE2WHP »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2018, 10:27:45 am »
 ;D so I will order the Radio and Antenna.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2018, 08:43:06 pm »
In some Forum someone sayed that this Antenne should be better: https://www.mwf-service.com/shop/procom-sb-27-1-4-fme-cb-funk-portableantenne-mit-bnc-adapter.html
but it look like the are stiff and non flexible? Right?
Thanks

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2018, 08:30:35 am »
You can use any mobile whip with a handheld with a bnc to 3/8 adapter (or tnc to 3/8)

Offline OE2WHP

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2018, 08:48:22 am »
Yes, also a good choice. It's not a flexible whip but it aint a stiff rod either. It's a foldable steel band. Similar to a tape measure. The screw at the bottom gives you more flexibility in positioning the radio on the backpack, still remaining the antenna upright.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2018, 09:01:14 am »
I found an German shop who offer the K-PO Panther for 98,00 € but the normally not ship to Austria.  :--  :rant:
The also offer the Albrecht Antenna so if I can order the Radio I will use the Albrecht to.

Offline OE2WHP

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2018, 06:52:36 am »
You know http://logoix.com ?

Make yourself an account there and they will forward your shipments from germany to Austria for a reasonable fee.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2018, 01:01:06 pm »
No, it is not but it is what most CBers are happy with and its quite cheap.

If you want to spent €120 and haul an almost 2m long antenna around, you also could use a Diamond RHM-8B, which is a telescopic amateur radio antenna. Tunable from 7 to 50MHz. Lenght is 177cm, retracted lenght is ~40cm. You will need an antenna tuner to get it tuned right.  But be aware, the antenna rod is not flexible and if it gets catched in a tree it might break. Also an antenna rod this long will put a lot of mechanical force to the BNC connector of the radio when you move. This might induce damage to the housing and or pcb. However, performance will be better due to the lenght of the radiating element.

That is easily solved by a short length of coax and fixing the antenna independently from the radio - which is a good idea anyway, simply for the ease of use (antenna on the backpack, radio in the front where the hiker can actually reach it).

On the other hand, walking around with a 2m long whip, antenna tuner and what not - jeeze.

I wonder why the OP actually needs 11m CB - if it is to stay in contact with others on a hike, then something like a PMR walkie-talkie would be a lot more practical.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2018, 05:02:19 pm »
if it is to stay in contact with others on a hike, then something like a PMR walkie-talkie would be a lot more practical.
I will talk to other CB Users but I have no Car so.  :=\

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2018, 06:22:12 pm »
if it is to stay in contact with others on a hike, then something like a PMR walkie-talkie would be a lot more practical.
I will talk to other CB Users but I have no Car so.  :=\

Not sure I follow what you mean ...  :-//

PMR are tiny pocket radios good for short range comms - e.g. between groups of hikers. They are more practical than CB because they work in the UHF bands and so can be very compact without compromising performance. It is much easier to carry a PMR radio than a CB with a big antenna.

Of course, if talking to CB users is a requirement then PMR won't help you.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf