Author Topic: Good low-cost sub-gigahertz FSK transmitter and receiver  (Read 2548 times)

Offline robotix3Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Good low-cost sub-gigahertz FSK transmitter and receiver
« on: March 03, 2017, 05:04:34 pm »
Can anyone recommend a good low-cost sub-gigahertz FSK transmitter and receiver solution, every time I find one I like I find out that it is obsolete...

Preferably one that is well-documented with an easy-to-buy eval board.

At this point I only have experience with 2.4ghz setups like the nrf24l01+ but I need something cheaper for a toy design.

Thanks for any recommendations

Offline daveshah

• Supporter
    • Projects
Re: Good low-cost sub-gigahertz FSK transmitter and receiver
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 06:42:16 pm »
Have you looked at the modules made by HopeRF? They have quite a range of nice sub-gigahertz modules, and would be a good starting point as you could then move onto using just the IC if needed. Another option I've looked at but never used are the ON-semi transceivers; either the AX5043 or the AX8052 series which incorporate both the transceiver and a 8052 MCU.

Offline sorenkir

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 10:09:51 am »
You can find a lot of cheap nRF905 based boards.
Nordic Semiconductor's nRF905 is a single chip 433/868/915MHz GFSK Transceiver easy to drive with a MCU.
Michel.

Offline 3apw

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 10:23:02 am »
You can look at
Both versions have 0.5/1W RF TX power. 

Offline TheDane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 09:53:18 pm »
Texas Instruments makes a chip capable of sub-GHz FSK, and they also have an evaluation board:
http://www.ti.com/tool/CC1101EMK433

CC1101 - and I'm sure there's a lot more to choose from when you dig into their RF section  :o
Extremly LOW cost 433MHz modules can be found on aliexpress and ebay. They have a pin header, with SPI interface - great  :-+

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 10:03:41 pm »
Unless something changed, HopeRF are just Silicon Labs chips on circuit boards.  The messed up thing is that they try to remove all references to SiLabs and pass the chips off as their own.  100% copies of SiLabs data sheets with the company name photoshopped over.  A little dishonest if you ask me.  Other than that, they are good dev boards for SiLabs chips.

Offline Simbarashe Bryne Chipembe

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 08:55:27 am »
Steer clear of the AXSEM-ONSEMI parts AX8052xxx, Horrendous documentation and support. Just extremely impossible to get started with, rather go for Silabs EZR32HG devices or TI's CC1310.

It seems as if ONSEMI fired all the smart AXSEM guys :-DD, impossible for you to get technical assistance, there is no meaningful documentation, so you'll quickly find yourself in a quagmire.

Offline OwO

• Super Contributor
  • RF Engineer.
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 10:17:17 am »
I've had good experiences with AX5043, which I think is just AX8052 without the MCU. You really do need to read the reference manual carefully and write your own driver for it. Don't bother with the provided code. In the one instance where something was undocumented (BPSK mode) I emailed ONSEMI and got a satisfactory reply.
Email: OwOwOwOwO123@outlook.com

Offline JoeyG

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 11:49:51 am »
A bit new :   Microchip  SAMR30M18A  900MHz module   (mcu+Transmitter and receiver)   and
 50ohm ant connection.

https://www.microchip.com/DevelopmentTools/ProductDetails/ac164159

https://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/en/ATSAMR30M18

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf