Author Topic: hacking the signal hound POI ?  (Read 2081 times)

Offline CopperConeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • *knock knock*
hacking the signal hound POI ?
« on: June 15, 2017, 03:38:46 pm »
https://signalhound.com/news/how-we-implemexport-controls/

So.. how do we get around this totalitarian inbred dumbass bullshit?

'lets put a speed limit on how fast people can listen to signals being broadcast by us, so we can whisper without them hearing (fuck scientific research)'
-military

*blatantly ignores the fact that the RF energy generated by these people is probably violating yours (and public property) airspace*

'hear no evil, its not out there?"

+ think about how much this is hurting Signal Hounds business. What is this shit, making America great again,when we can't export our own products  :palm:

Maybe if we let them sell their shit, then the American economy will suck less, and the military can actually fund research for faster transmitters that can't be intercepted by something that can be purchased for a week of work.

This kind of stuff artificially retards scientific progress............  :palm: :rant:
I wonder how much cool technology and stuff beneficial to life we would have without these hare brained export restrictions on everything. I mean, you can find ball bearings there.

Why doesn't lockheed martin pay my medical bills? I feel like the MIC and the military owes me mad money because of all the stuff I had to do manually because they divert people away from investigating certain things, force parallel industries to develop in other countries, etc... people are reinventing the wheel rather then making a transmission. Imagine all the cool medical diagnostic tests and stuff we could have.. and the proliferation of those good technologies. Ridiculous. Probably limited by export of some fast MCU back in the 80's....
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 04:01:06 pm by CopperCone »

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
Re: hacking the signal hound POI ?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 07:57:47 am »
The export controls thing is a little silly, it might have worked in the 1950's but now with the Internet it's pointless. Yes, I know that certain nation states need to be kept under control, but having to sign a declaration that I won't export stuff to Syria or North Korea just so I can get a mixer from Minicircuits is crazy. In the case of Minicircuits the devices are ALREADY outside of the USA and within the EU so, in theory, goods can be transported anywhere within the EU without restrictions.

So, what do we have now?

'Export controlled' software that can be freely downloaded from a company website after clicking an agreement that nobody reads

Front organizations operating within the USA who purchase parts then forward them on

Pointless paperwork that probably gets filed and forgotten

And a state like North Korea who have an active space program and an active nuclear program, both of which seem to have no problems getting parts.

If The Donald wants to make America great again he could start by not treating the rest of the world like children.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline alanambrose

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 05:00:24 pm »
>>> The export controls thing is a little silly

Oh yeah, Minicircuits wanted me to do the whole export controls thing for some 2GHz 50 ohms 20db attenuators ordered from the UK ... and then for every following order regardless of content. I said I had better things to do, and we Europeans are not so dumb that we don't know where to buy attenuators. For super high RF or fancy stuff maybe, but for run of the mill vanilla components which are probably not even made in the US?

Alan
“A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"

Offline Mr Simpleton

• Supporter
  • Not the sharpest knife in the drawer
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 04:37:58 pm »
Things are even better  |O Tek had to implement the limitation to their RSA-series, and this means if you have an older machine that did not have the limitation, if you ever install newer firmware, or ever send it in to Tek you will automagically have an instrument that had been dumbed down. You may request a certain option, for free, that will enable the full performance of your instrument, but only if you are entitled so by US gov mercy.

Now if you try to be a smart alec, and do a disk clone on your RSA before send it in to Tek, you will find that the limitation is stored in  some flash memory in the instrument, not on the HD, and will render your back-up copy of hard drive useless.

Offline CopperConeTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • *knock knock*
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 05:58:49 pm »
they are fucking criminals.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf