Author Topic: Has anyone ever seen an SDR design that uses a QSD to feed a fast 100MSPS+ ADC?  (Read 1793 times)

Offline rwgast_lowlevellogicdesinTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • LowLevel-LogicDesign
I have a few nice 16bit LT 105MSPS  ADCs laying around and I've been thinking about trying to design an affordable HF SDR with a broad(~10mhz) instantaneous bandwidth. Something more along the lines of an SDR-IQ/FLEX system. I know these expensive higher end HF SDRs all use DDC with and FPGA/ASIC. Could something with comparable performance be made by feeding a QSD in to a nice ADC then doing DSP work on a faster micro or even something like an allwinner a10?

I have searched and searched for an SDR using something like a soft-rock or any QSD to feed a fast ADC and I can't find anyone using anything besides audio codecs for some reason, 48khz of bandwidth sucks so I cant figure out why no one has done this, unless the performance is no better than using a cheap tuner chip. From what I understand you can switch a QSD up to 1ghz so this gives the ability to build a wideband SDR or a really performance focus narrowband SDR.

This is all kind of just thoughts here but if one could build a QSD SDR that does DSP on a micro or streams to a PC and gets close to DDC performance, it seems like a great inexpensive way to build a nice low noise base to down convert other bands too! Especially if you dont have to have 105MSPS ADC, a 40MSPS is much cheaper! Some micros like the NXP's even have 80MSPS ADCs built in if your willing to go down to 12bit.

Offline mark03

• Frequent Contributor
Wouldn't you be hard-pressed to get the data out of the ADC at those speeds, without an FPGA?

If the idea is that getting rid of the FPGA makes this a substantially easier project, I would suggest otherwise.  At those frequencies, good layout, and keeping digital crud out of the front end, is the bigger challenge.  That's what I heard from the openhpsdr folks (the best-known direct-sampling design).

Don't forget to factor into your supposed cost savings that you now need two ADC channels instead of one.

I also believe it's difficult to get that kind of bandwidth out of the Tayloe-style QSD, due to finite source impedance and reasonable capacitance at the four phase outputs, but I'm not an expert.

More interesting (to me) would be a moderate-bandwidth QSD-based receiver which is designed around fast and high-resolution successive-approximation ADCs, say 1 to 2 MSPS, rather than a sound card.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Beaglebone can do 100MSps, but I don't see much advantage using that instead of a FPGA.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline CopperCone

• Super Contributor
  • *knock knock*
well its probobly alot easier to program it and test algorithms with high probability of intercept signals before going to fast FPGA detectors.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf