Author Topic: Hermes SDR board  (Read 1890 times)

Offline WolfgangTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
Hermes SDR board
« on: September 16, 2018, 10:33:38 am »
Hi,

I got a ham radio fellow who tried to get a Hermes board running from scratch. After a lot of tries the board is now assembled, all oscillators are running and all operating voltages are correct.
What also worked is installing the boot loader. The next step should be to load the Hermes software into the board using Ethernet. The port LEDs flash, but apparently the adapter cannot be be "seen" from
the PC side.

Any ideas ? Jumper settings ? Some PC quirk we might have forgotten ? I am not smart enough with FPGAs, having only used PICs so far.

Thanks
   Wolfgang DL1DWG

Offline 9aplus

• Regular Contributor
Re: Hermes SDR board
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 11:32:47 am »
Can you see the Hermes IP on router assigned by DHCP server?

The following users thanked this post: Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 11:37:27 am »
Thanks for the tip,

I need to check with the fellow ham who has the board now. I'll come back to you.

Best regards
   Wolfgang

Offline 9aplus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 01:16:31 pm »
Must see something similar like this:
Client Host Name Rule Name     IP Address             MAC Address           Client Lease Time   
static-host    vtrp-5025-HV  192.168.NNN.NNN xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx   21 Hours, 16 Minutes, 5 Sec   
static-host    FR24                 192.168.NNN.NNN xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx   21 Hours, 15 Minutes, 18 Sec   

Two DSP units, now on my local net....
Dj

Offline Beamin

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 02:59:48 pm »
For me this is the biggest source of frustration with all things that hook up to the PC you will spend hours on the hardware making sure it works and if you did everything right it ill work. Then you plug it into the computer like you did 10 other times and all of a sudden it won't work. Nothing changed it just doesn't work. Reboot and it works reboot and it doesn't work. My SDR is doing this only over USB. I tried it the other day and the computer sees that it's plugged into the USB but the SDR software, be it the flightaware or SDRUno doesn't think it's plugged in. I don't install any extra programs on this computer because I don't want things messing it up yet it still messes up on windows 10. Can all the mandatory auto updates screw with things? I have 3 usb ports all do the same thing. It used to be using a different physical USB port would fix but not this time. When that's my only hobby it kind of sucks. My eye sight is too poor at the moment to start messing around with the maze of windows settings too.  |O
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 03:24:15 pm »
haha get some Win7 Licence!
My SDR Setup is just W7 Based and run 24/7.
Made in Japan, destroyed in Sulz im Wienerwald.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 07:45:27 pm »
Thanks to all that have contributed; we are one step further now.

The root casue of the problem is that the Ethernet in the Hermes has some quirks that refuse to communicate with some routers. Others work fine, as we found out.
We could upload the firmware now, and basic receiver testing worked. We are now at the transmitter part, which still has (I hope solvable) problems.

Thanks again !
  Wolfgang

The following users thanked this post: 9aplus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf