Author Topic: How do I match 75 ohm to 50 ohm and back?  (Read 6549 times)

Offline technixTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
How do I match 75 ohm to 50 ohm and back?
« on: January 14, 2019, 08:54:20 am »
With me moving equipment around, the FM receiver got moved to a location that isn’t very convenient, and thus I need to add a length of coax so I can keep my antennae at the original location. I also want to add a LNA in there in hope to improve reception.

The FM antennae, the receiver and the LNA chip all expect 75 ohm, but my existing coax and connectors are all 50 ohm equipment. I don’t have any 75 ohm coax or matching connectors. FM band in China is 87-108MHz. I build my boards using mostly 0603 SMT passives.

Question:
1. Can I just shove the amplified FM signal from the 75 ohm LNA down the 50 ohm coax and SMA connectors and expect it to work?
2. If not, how to build the matching network on both ends of the 50 ohm coax? Bonus if the matching network blocks DC, since that will also allow me to inject power.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
Re: How do I match 75 ohm to 50 ohm and back?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 09:27:50 am »
In this case I wouldn't worry about the impedance mismatch.
VE7FM

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 10:46:55 am »
If it's receiver I wouldn't worry.

Transmitter / anything that carries power then you tend to use a "minimum loss pad" as described here: https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/972

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 12:19:33 pm »

Transmitter / anything that carries power then you tend to use a "minimum loss pad" as described here: https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/972
It is a receiver. The antennae end contains a 50MHz-120MHz BPF and a single-chip wide-band LNA. The receiver end contains a power injector.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 02:44:42 pm by technix »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 12:28:14 pm »
https://chemandy.com/calculators/matching-pi-attenuator-calculator.htm
https://chemandy.com/calculators/matching-t-attenuator-calculator.htm

Note the loss of power, which might be important depending on the signal and receiver.

If you don't match impedances, then you will get a reduced signal at some frequencies defined by the cable length.

Whether or not the LNA helps reception will depend on the cause of the poor reception; sometimes they can make things worse.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 01:49:45 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 12:43:09 pm »

Pedant hat on... a minimum loss pad is a very broadband resistive device that would be more lossy (~5.7dB) than a transformer (~0.5dB). A minimum loss pad is much simpler to make though! I'd imagine a simple LC matching network or lamda/4 coaxial transformer would improve on an MLP 88MHz through 108MHz.

Irrespective, forgetting about any matching will almost certainly work well enough.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 01:36:04 pm »
Fair point!  :-+

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 02:45:52 pm »
https://chemandy.com/calculators/matching-pi-attenuator-calculator.htm
https://chemandy.com/calculators/matching-t-attenuator-calculator.htm

Note the loss of power, which might be important depending on the signal and receiver.

If you don't match impedances, then you will get a reduced signal at some frequencies defined by the cable length.

Whether or not the LNA helps reception will depend on the cause of the poor reception; sometimes they can make things worse.
The reception was okay where the antennae was, hence the antenna-end LNA.

Offline EVS

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 03:03:16 pm »
Low-Loss Matching Network 75 to 50Ohms (for 50-230MHz):

Online Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 04:46:00 pm »
Simple lumped LC with 180nH shunt across the 75 ohm source to ground, 47pF series to 50 ohm port gives 26dB worst case return loss on either port 88MHz through 108MHz. Insertion loss is negligible across the band (0.01dB).

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 04:55:38 pm »
Low-Loss Matching Network 75 to 50Ohms (for 50-230MHz):
Simple lumped LC with 180nH shunt across the 75 ohm source to ground, 47pF series to 50 ohm port gives 26dB worst case return loss on either port 88MHz through 108MHz. Insertion loss is negligible across the band (0.01dB).
How do I match it back to 75 ohms then?

Online Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 07:19:38 pm »
That's it, that's all you need. The LC match is reciprocal but it is bandwidth limited.

So you put one at each end of your 50 ohm run.

But honestly, I wouldn't even bother to do that!

Do you know you even need an LNA? I ask because sometimes they cause more harm than good.

How long are the original and new cable runs, and what sort of cable are you using?

If you do use an LNA, its gain is likely to override any losses in the following 50 ohm run unless it's a very long run.

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 09:12:58 pm »
That's it, that's all you need. The LC match is reciprocal but it is bandwidth limited.

Do you know you even need an LNA? I ask because sometimes they cause more harm than good.

How long are the original and new cable runs, and what sort of cable are you using?

If you do use an LNA, its gain is likely to override any losses in the following 50 ohm run unless it's a very long run.
The original antenna is one meter long. It is one of those simple wire-style FM antenna commonly found with A/V receivers.

I am inserting up to 6 meters of 50 ohm coax. That is why I suspect I will need an LNA at antenna end to boost the signal a bit so it can survive the likely badly matched transmission line.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 09:35:03 pm »

The original antenna is one meter long. It is one of those simple wire-style FM antenna commonly found with A/V receivers.

I am inserting up to 6 meters of 50 ohm coax. That is why I suspect I will need an LNA at antenna end to boost the signal a bit so it can survive the likely badly matched transmission line.

Why on earth don't you simply use 75ohm coax, and avoid all the problems?

Look at the attenuation specifications of cheap 75ohm coax: at 100MHz it is 6-16dB for 100m. You only need 6m so the cable loss might be 1dB!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 03:55:54 am »

Why on earth don't you simply use 75ohm coax, and avoid all the problems?

Look at the attenuation specifications of cheap 75ohm coax: at 100MHz it is 6-16dB for 100m. You only need 6m so the cable loss might be 1dB!
I just happen to have some 50 ohm coax, and it is somewhat hard to find 75 ohm connectors.

Offline ZS6GST

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2019, 02:56:37 pm »
Build a 1/12th wave transformer using short pieces of 75 and 50 Ohm cable.

Google is your friend and will show you all the detail.

73 Pine, ZS6GST

Offline radiolistener

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2019, 03:13:46 pm »
By using 50 ohm cable with 75 ohm input you will get SWR=1.5.
It's about 14 dB loss, I don't think it will an issue for listening FM broadcast stations.

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2019, 03:19:41 pm »
By using 50 ohm cable with 75 ohm input you will get SWR=1.5.
It's about 14 dB loss, I don't think it will an issue for listening FM broadcast stations.

VSWR 1.5:1 means 14 dB return loss and 0.18 dB transmission loss. The transmission loss is relevant in this case, so the 0.18 dB transmission loss is insignificant.

Online fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2019, 02:36:41 am »
VSWR 1.5:1 means 14 dB return loss and 0.18 dB transmission loss. The transmission loss is relevant in this case, so the 0.18 dB transmission loss is insignificant.

There's going to be a bit more loss due to the cable loss (matched and SWR-related), but I looked at the numbers for 6 meters of RG-58 (likely/typical 50 Ohm coax), and it still all added up to less than 1dB at the top of the FM broadcast band.  Truly nothing to worry about.
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf