Author Topic: How does this SMA connector mount to chassis?  (Read 2264 times)

Offline rcbuckTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
How does this SMA connector mount to chassis?
« on: June 28, 2017, 11:20:28 pm »
I was looking at bulkhead mount SMA connectors on ebay and find several listings for this item:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMA-Female-Center-Nut-Bulkhead-Crimp-RG174-RG316-LMR100-Connector-H5I3-/122490679442?epid=1249448189&hash=item1c85037092:g:0NwAAOSwaEhZJEla

How do you assemble this thing? Looking at the photos, it appears the center receptacle portion screws into the back side of the threaded outer portion. However, the thickness of the panel it is mounted on would affect how far the center female socket is from the front of the housing. They don't specify a maximum panel thickness. It would probably be OK for a .040 aluminum panel but may not work if you are making the panel out of .062 PCB material. This is apparently a Chinese only design as I can't find any U.S. company that makes this type of SMA connector.

Has anyone purchased any of these things?

Even though this is a one-time use item:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pc-Connector-RP-SMA-Female-Plug-Bulkhead-Crimp-RG174-RG316-LMR100-Cable-/272261612717?hash=item3f640e84ad:g:zDsAAOSwwE5WU1RN
maybe it would be better suited for panel mounting?

I realize these are cheap Chinese connectors with probably only a micron of brass (hopefully it is brass) plated onto some cheap alloy. But for hobbyist radio projects they should be at least usable.

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
Re: How does this SMA connector mount to chassis?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 12:15:57 am »
I was looking at bulkhead mount SMA connectors on ebay and find several listings for this item:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMA-Female-Center-Nut-Bulkhead-Crimp-RG174-RG316-LMR100-Connector-H5I3-/122490679442?epid=1249448189&hash=item1c85037092:g:0NwAAOSwaEhZJEla

How do you assemble this thing? Looking at the photos, it appears the center receptacle portion screws into the back side of the threaded outer portion. However, the thickness of the panel it is mounted on would affect how far the center female socket is from the front of the housing. They don't specify a maximum panel thickness. It would probably be OK for a .040 aluminum panel but may not work if you are making the panel out of .062 PCB material. This is apparently a Chinese only design as I can't find any U.S. company that makes this type of SMA connector.

the outer portion is what goes through the panel, that why there is a nut and washers

that the inner part screws out is just to give access to solder the inner connection, after it is soldered and screwed together is basically like this: https://www.amphenolrf.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/3/132422-10.jpg

the limit on panel thickness is how much thread is left after you stick it though the panel and mount the nut and washer

The following users thanked this post: rcbuck

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 12:36:15 am »
langwadt,

OK, so the panel mounting hardware actually goes on the front of the panel. I should have realized that by looking at the size of the mounting nut.  :palm:

I was looking for something that had the mounting hardware on the back of the panel but this will work OK. It actually has the advantage of having the center coax wire shielded all the way up to the center socket. It essentially mimics what the connector in the second link I posted does and is re-usable.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 03:55:42 am »
Anyone thinking about purchasing these beware of a problem. It will not work with RG174, RG316, or LM100 cable. The barrel that the center conductor passes through is only .046 inch diameter. All three of the cables have .060 inch center conductor insulation so they will not pass through the barrel. It will work with RG178 cable as the center conductor insulation is .033 inch. Luckily I had RG178 in my stock of coax cable.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf