Author Topic: ECG1198 / uPD858C Frequency Divider  (Read 1538 times)

Offline dentakuTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
ECG1198 / uPD858C Frequency Divider
« on: August 04, 2018, 03:19:03 pm »
I found a new old stock Sylvania ECG1198 Frequency Divider and Phase Detector still sealed in it's plastic bag in my bins of stuff I got from an old man and can only find simple two page datasheets for it.
I see that's it's the same as the uPD858C and there are pages describing how to modify radios that use this chip (even Defpom has written stuff about this online) so that's useful information about how to use it.
https://www.radiomods.co.nz/integratedcircuits/upd858c.html

Are there any more detailed datasheets for the 1198/858C that I'm missing? Does it maybe go under another name?

I've messed with the 4046 PLL before, mostly because it has a VCO in it and I'm more interested in synthesizers than radio and I've played with simple phase detectors on breadboards and in simulations in the past just for fun as a learning exercise.

QUESTION:
I'm simply curious about the Divide-by-N Counter part of the chip and if it can be mis-used by itself for other purposes than radio.
Can it be used as a sort of digitally control oscillator "DCO" through the Fin and PD Out pins sort of in the way a 4046 can be used as just a VCO for generating different frequencies and ignore all the other PLL / Phase Dectetor-ish functions this chip provides.
Or is that not what that section of the chip is for and it relies on all the other parts plus crystal oscillators for it to be of any use?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf