Author Topic: Hp 8555a / 8552a / 141t  (Read 1505 times)

Offline GimbaTopic starter

Hp 8555a / 8552a / 141t
« on: May 15, 2018, 05:24:22 pm »

Hello everyone.
First of all, I want to apologize for my poor English.

I long time i want to buy spectrum analyzer, but since I'm a beginner, I do not want to extract some huge money for it. First of all, I need to learn so that older analyzers, which from time to time can and will be repaired, are most suitable for me.

I found on ebay the old Hp 141t with 8555a and 8552a for very small money and I am thinking of buying it. The thing is not checked and the seller does not guarantee for him, that suits me because he leaves me with the ability to fix it (and learn). The screen works, which is very important. I'm interested in what kind of analyzer it is, whether it's good for a beginner and for learning, and what its performance is. Is it good for EMI tests? There are very few things on the forum about this unit, so i could not get information.
I've never worked with the RF, I've never had contact with the spectrum analyzer, and I do not know how to make a comparison. So I have to ask.  :D
Thanks

Offline mrfblf

Re: Hp 8555a / 8552a / 141t
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 06:51:47 am »
Hello,

the 141T / 8555A / 8552A analyzer is a remarkable piece of vintage equipment. It was even more so when it came out around 1970, setting a quality / useability / flexibility standard for decades. I think it is fair to say that this system was a historic milestone in RF measurement technology.

However, at 40 to 50 years of age, any electronic equipment starts to develop problems. This spectrum analyzer is no exception, and repairing the machine is very difficult, often impossible without special test cables. Any repair requires a lot of other test equipment, not to mention a very deep understanding of RF electronics.

Also, keep in mind that the equipment on the market today has often seen a lot of abuse. It is close to impossible to repair, for example, a burnt out front end in the 8555A.

Regards,
Martin

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf