Author Topic: ICOM IC-7300 HF transciever  (Read 6820 times)

Offline GeoffreyFTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
ICOM IC-7300 HF transciever
« on: January 13, 2019, 03:27:21 pm »
I have pretty much made up my mind but I am getting ready to purchase a 7300.  There are discounts and rebates right now that reduce my price to just $999.00  which is about a 25% discount.

I considered the Elecraft KX3 and the Icom IC 7100.  Took a look at HF Yaesu in that price band too.   I live in a Condo and so it's not likely I will set up any kind of a "Shack".  I will be permanently portable, even in my own house.  I want something which I can carry into a park or a short hike up a hill and set up. 

This is why the KX3 was attractive.  However, with just the basic options - it's more than the 7300.  I would have to spend more than the 7300 again to have a panadapter and 100 watt capability.   The 7300 weighs less than 9.5 lbs which is a lot more than the KX3 but is tractable in a back pack.   There are protective rails and back packs available in the after market for it, so I can achieve the carrying goals without risking harm to the rig.  The batteries will be a bit bigger but I don't think the KX3 will run long at it's max power with the batteries inside.

The ICOM 7100 with it's VHF/UHF bands seems good but also too many things in one rig.   I can get an inexpensive UHF/VHF unit for the car and rag chewing.  I already have a Kenwood TH-74 Triband HT which actually works well with nearby repeaters. 

I am aware that there are "issues" with the 7300 receiver but these appear to be apples to oranges comparisons with more expensive "PRO DX" type rigs.  The 7300 is sufficient as long as there aren't other's near by running more power than they should. I'm fine with that and I'm not really into competing anyway.

US Amateur Extra W1GCF.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
Re: ICOM IC-7300 HF transciever
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 10:39:04 pm »
The Icom 7300 is an outstanding transceiver.  At $1500 when it was introduced it was competitive with the alternatives.  At $1000 it is highly competitive and possibly the best value available in a new HF transceiver.  The 7300 has excellent performance and is a ton of fun to operate.  The built-in panadapter is a beautiful feature.  Once you get used to zooming out to look at a full band and zooming in to look at a specific signal or adjacent signals you will likely not want to operate with older/traditional dial interfaces except for the nostalgia factor (which can be understandable, no doubt – depends on personal preferences, of course).

The add-on handles might be useful if you are going to move the unit around but it is such a beautiful transceiver I’d be a tad careful about packing it and transporting it into a harsh environment.  I don’t think it’s design was intended for frequent day packing.  Having said that it will make for a very enjoyable good weather radio day on a park bench if you enjoy battery operations outdoors.  A key is to get organized with some good transport bags so you can get everything loaded in your vehicle with as few bags as possible.

If the budget isn’t a constraint and you want some band flexibility while also staying rapidly transportable you should take a look at the TW2010.  A few years ago the company behind the TW2010 sold the antenna rights to DX Engineering.  DX Engineering made a few manufacturing related adjustments and it continues to be a very well supported product.  The TW2010 covers 20, 17, 15, 12, and 10 Meters. (With an accessory it can also do 40 Meters).  It has a small remotely cabled box that allows you to change the bands from next to your transceiver.  If you have an antenna analyzer (RigExpert highly recommended) you will be able to see that by playing with the antenna’s setup location relative to any surrounding structures that you can generally get a reasonably flat and low SWR across or nearly across each of the 5 bands.  Seldom if ever will you need to use the 7300’s internal antenna tuner as you can almost always get the TW2010 set for below 2.0:1 - nearly across each entire band - and generally below 1.5:1.  And if you focus on some part of a band (like for digital ops) you can often get around 1.1:1.

As for portability, the TW2010 antenna parts including a 4 leg stand can be removed from a bag and put together with no tools in less than 10 minutes (5 minutes or even less if you are moving along rapidly).  You will probably want to invest in a good quality coax of 70-100’ depending on your requirements.  The first time you install the antenna in a location you will probably want to use the antenna analyzer to see how it performs in that particular location and orientation.  This will take more time but once you find a location that gives you the SWR performance you are seeking you can go back to that location and pretty much skip the analyzer-facilitated setup step (probably a good idea to take at least one analyzer reading just to confirm nothing has changed; then just keep an eye on SWR from the Icom 7300’s internal metering system - which btw has a bunch of easy to use views).  The thing about the TW2010 is that some people (older experienced hams?) are going to tell you the TW2010 is a “compromise” antenna and from there the discussion will go downhill.  They will say it has poor efficiency and yada yada yada.  The reality is that few of these folks will have seen much less used the TW2010.  Nonetheless they will insist it’s a bad antenna and too expensive.  The expensive part is hard to argue – but the efficiency part I think is somewhat worthy of debate.  The antenna is a small vertical (about 8’ tall when assembled) that uses two capacity hat crossarms and a box with inductors that enables the multiband and remote switching functions.  Some people say that the antenna was originally designed by N6BT - I don’t know if that is correct or not but I know that the antenna works, and works well.  It is not going to compete with a Yagi or a dipole up 20’-40’ or more – if you have a way to permanently install or regularly reinstall such antennas they would be the way to fly, but if you want something that you can install and then packup every time you operate, then the TW2010 is a good choice.

How well will the 7300 and the TW2010 or any antenna work?  Well that is a function of several things including band conditions.  In the current band conditions we are in a relatively poor state – near the low of a pretty weak ~11 year solar cycle.  This is something to consider.  SSB voice ops are going to be challenging except for days/weeks when bands open up.  On decent days (if we get those any more) you will be able to make some good SSB voice contacts throughout North America and into South America from the middle of the U.S.  On most days though, in current band conditions, you will probably find that if you want to do DX you should be trying FT8 with WJST-X and JTalert.  With FT8 you can make contacts pretty much around the world.

Net, net:  antenna choices are many and they can be readily debated but the 7300 is as close to a no brainer as there is in a HF transceiver.  YMMV but hope something in here helps.  73

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 11:23:22 pm »
Thank you so much. Your remarks track my own thoughts perfectly.  As for the TW2010 - I'll look into it. The 7300 has an antenna tuner built in.  There is also an outboard tuner which connects to the 7300 and handles random wire type antennas.  I've looked at the buddi pole and buddi stick. I'll add the TW2010 to what I am looking at.

As I mentioned, I'll take every precaution to keep the rig nice but life in a condo, within a crowded city, requires more moving around.  That's just how it is for me.  I also kind of like the idea of setting up in different places, taking into account the environs and conditions more than getting the perfect antenna farm at a back yard I don't have.

Thanks again
KC1KNS
US Amateur Extra W1GCF.

Offline Wirehead

• Regular Contributor
    • Wirehead.be
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 05:57:59 am »
Don't forget that there is a great deal to be made with cashback on the Yaesu FTdx3000 as well. While not being SDR based, it does have a better receiver than the 7300. Granted, the waterfall is less "pretty" - but comes with two antenna connectors, as well as a dedicated RX antenna port. Has a bit more directly accessible controls as well. Has connectors for IF out and RX out; to quickly connect an SDR receiver on the PC.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 08:13:32 am by Wirehead »
"to remain static is to lose ground"

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 09:43:14 am »
Depend where you life maybe HF is to noisy in your Area.
I tried here and have no luck. I receive many thing but no HF Stuff beside of AM Radio.

Here are VHF/ UHF Repeater who use DMR so I would get an DMR Radio here I would be an Amateur Radio Hobbyist.
Made in Japan, destroyed in Sulz im Wienerwald.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 11:51:40 am »
I live in eastern Massachusetts USA.  HF does well here. There are lots of cool places for it such as hill tops and ocean side.   Generally sunspot activity is low.  That reduces chances for really amazing DX but a lot of old time hams are just not bothering right now.

The Yaesu is really nice and I did consider it.  It does meet many of my requirements.  At the end of the day, I think this is a bit like buying a car. It depends on personal style and what floats one's boat.   A key factor is that i don't commute in my car. I don't have as much need for a rig mounted in my car.   My projected use is to go into a park somewhere, set up on a picnic table or my car's tail gate.  In some cases, might carry my stuff for a mile and then set up.

US Amateur Extra W1GCF.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 12:15:17 pm »
Looks like a nice radio, it's ridiculously cheap in the US compared to the UK, over here it retails for £1195 which is roughly $1500, I'm almost tempted to try and find someone to buy one and ship it for me

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 02:03:49 pm »
I think this is a bit like buying a car.
Sure
Pay Insurance, Pass the Annual Inspection, Pay for an Parking Space,...  :scared:
I often argue around with other Radio Amateurish why I refuse to make the Exame.
Its a expensive hobby.  :palm:

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 02:59:25 pm »
Sure
Pay Insurance, Pass the Annual Inspection, Pay for an Parking Space,...  :scared:
I often argue around with other Radio Amateurish why I refuse to make the Exame.
Nah, it's only an expensive hobby if you let it be, it can be pocket friendly if you have the will and an eye for a bargain, you really don't need to spend a lot to have a lot of fun (I would really like the IC-7300 but realistically, I don't need it, I just have a few quid spare right now).

I've had this conversation with the guy who owns the radio shop I buy from and he reckons the majority of the all singing all dancing radios are sold to people who buy them as electronic willies to wave around, not because they need them or get $x000 worth of extra use from them.

My whole 'manufactured radios' shack, other than one dual band handie that I bought new, was second hand/faulty or has been converted from PMR and in total, cost less than £400.

For that £400 I have Yaesu VX-1R, Baofeng UV-5R, 2M Yaesu FT2900, Tait T545 (I think) PMR on 70CM, 2x Stornophone PMR on 6M and 4M, an Icom IC-718 HF radio and AT130 tuner, antennas are either wire or made from aluminium tube bought from the local garden centre, my 2M antenna is welding rod inside plastic electrical conduit, the main PSU came from TopLoser on this forum, untested (had a minor fault), IIRC £60.

The homebrew stuff is similarly dirt cheap and that's where I get most of my radio fun, it's amazing what you can build with a few tens of dollars/pounds of eBay items or pick up at a rally.

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 03:18:34 pm »
you really don't need to spend a lot to have a lot of fun
The Radio are Cheap the Licence are not. I have to pay a Monthly "Call sign" fee depend on the Licence.  :rant:

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 03:37:02 pm »
you really don't need to spend a lot to have a lot of fun
The Radio are Cheap the Licence are not. I have to pay a Monthly "Call sign" fee depend on the Licence.  :rant:

Ohhhh, I see, that sucks.

That's not the case here in the UK, one exam per level and you pay the exam fees only, there's no ongoing cost.

The following users thanked this post: Lord of nothing

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 05:03:58 pm »
Here in the US it's $15.00 for the test session. You can take all three levels of license in a single session if you wish, without extra fees.  The call sign is granted for ten years.

Yes, you can pile a lot of money into this hobby or very little.  There is a lot of second hand equipment around.
US Amateur Extra W1GCF.

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 07:04:57 pm »
I own both the KX3 and the 7300.  If you ended up doing a significant amount of battery powered operating, might be worth noting the standby consumption of the 7300 is about 5x of the KX3.  The 7300 at idle runs about 15watts, so for any decent about of battery operation be prepared to lug around some sizable batteries!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 08:03:42 pm »
Yes, I did consider that. I may well end up owning a KX3 (or KX2) as well for that very reason as well as its obviously greater portability.   

However, apples to apples, comparing a KX3 with panadapter and 100 watt linear, I think that is the better comparison for current.   Again, apples to apples, if you don't want a Panadapter or the ability to go better than 10 watts (if that) then the 7300 is not the best choice.

If you want to operate HF/VHF/UHF while in your car, then possibly the 7100 is the better choice.
US Amateur Extra W1GCF.

Offline Helix70

• Supporter
  • VK4JNA
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2019, 11:10:16 am »
I have had my 7300 for almost a year now, and operating portable is not a big problem for batteries unless you are doing SOTA activations. What kind of portable do you mean? Otherwise, the old 20Ah SLA or even better, the LiFePo's that are appearing are easy enough to carry for a little bit.

The IC-7300 is bullet proof. Very well built, and handles abuse. Be aware, the in built tuner is only good for SWR < 3 tuning, so random wire needs extra handling.

I have not encountered the issues with overloading the input, but I don't contest in a field with other Hams.

Good luck!

Josh VK4JNA

The following users thanked this post: GeoffreyF

Offline bozidarms

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2019, 03:53:11 pm »
Hi,
I have both, and both are exceptional rigs - you won't do mistake with either.
For demo how good both are i have uploaded some measurements data (CW audio THD and in-band IMD) :-+
Regards

The following users thanked this post: GeoffreyF, BocaDev

Offline bozidarms

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2019, 04:25:34 pm »
K3 and ELAD FDM-DUO in-band IMD.
It is evident that "real" SDR's have some better characteristics.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2019, 04:13:08 pm »
I have had my 7300 for almost a year now, and operating portable is not a big problem for batteries unless you are doing SOTA activations. What kind of portable do you mean? Otherwise, the old 20Ah SLA or even better, the LiFePo's that are appearing are easy enough to carry for a little bit.

Josh VK4JNA

Portable for me will be pulling up near a park and walking a 1/2 mile more or less to an advantageous position or just operating off the tailgate of my car.  I am enjoying working out how to have a back pack that has all I need for the day and at minimum weight.  The LiFePo batteries are part of that but for the "curb side portable" a larger and heavier SLA battery will be fine.   I'm thinking I can get a pretty good run out of a 40AH LiFePo but, just having a second 40AH for a longer plan will cut it. Thoughts?

I am 45 minutes from the Atlantic coast and lots of public beaches.  That brings me to another thought, how to protect the rig from salt air or dust.   My own thinking varies from some sort of filter to not stressing over it.  Thoughts?

Life has intervened, my wife is recovering from surgery (which also limits family income) and so I have not taken the rig out for a spin yet but I am chomping at the bit.  Everything I hear, I chose well for my needs.

KC1KNS (soon to be Vanity W1GCF)
US Amateur Extra W1GCF.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2019, 03:29:21 pm »
If I were you, I would consult other IC-7300 owners about beachside operation. It may be fine if you set up a carrying box or something, but given the finances, you really don't want to take chances.

Since you live in more northerly part of the Atlantic Coast, maybe its possible for you to find some portable operating spots where you can operate out of your car and still take advantage of the salt water as far as your mobile station ground. Suppose you could find a marina with parking near the salt water. Put up a temporary vertical from your car and carry some tin plated copper wire (corrosion resistant) to throw into the water temporarily as your grounding. (somewhere where there is zero chance of wires being snagged by boats and in your direct field of vision to make sure) This way your rig is still 'indoors' and protected from everything. Plus you get the DX benefits of seaside operation.

Inland parks and mountain summits are other options that don't involve any sand and salt spray.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2019, 01:49:03 am »
Sure

Insurance? WHAT?

You can get a VHF / UHF hand held for less than $100.00  You can get used almost anything for a few hundred.  You build a QRP transceiver for less than $100.00.  Sure the sky is the limit for how much you can spend but you can have a lot of fun for very little. Your post is a lot like saying you won't learn to ride a bicycle because cars are expensive.

The fee for the exam in the USA is $15.00  There are three levels, each more difficult than the prior one.
US Amateur Extra W1GCF.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2019, 02:19:38 am »
I sold my Yaesu FTDX-3000 and used the money toward the IC-7300 and never looked back. I love it. I won't repeat most of what you can find on the internet but I'll add the firmware upgrade procedure is WAY WAY easier than the way Yaesu does it.

Buy one.  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline djacobow

• Super Contributor
  • takin' it apart since the 70's
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2019, 04:04:09 am »
I guess I don't have much to add here, except that I've had an IC-7300 almost since it came out, and it is a fine radio. I've had zero problems with mine. There are better receivers, but the 7300's is great.

I don't think I'd ever get a rig with HF+VHF/UHF. I don't see any benefit to combining a VHF/UHF right with an HF one, and I think there are plenty of drawbacks.

I have taken my IC-7300 car camping with no problems at all.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2019, 04:17:34 am »
I have an IC-7000 I bought secondhand from the local ARA at our hamfest. It has all three bands, but the price was right.  :-+ It isn't exactly easy to learn though. Fortunately they threw in one of those quick guides for it (forget the name of the guy who does those).

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2019, 06:29:24 am »

I don't think I'd ever get a rig with HF+VHF/UHF. I don't see any benefit to combining a VHF/UHF right with an HF one, and I think there are plenty of drawbacks.

I'm genuinely interested about the drawbacks as I've been eyeing up the 'shack in a box' rigs.

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2019, 06:43:50 am »
I've had my IC-7000 for 10 + years now, amazing little rig. The only thing I miss is a fulltime spectrum scope. It is my rig for when I want to leave the house and take a radio with me. I've also used it for several VHF contests on the back deck with a buddipole made into a 3 element beam.
I think Icom dropped the ball with its replacement the 7100(and sales back up my feelings).
As to the 7300, well it broke new ground in HF performance for the $$.
VE7FM

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf