Author Topic: ICOM IC781  (Read 2889 times)

Offline HarbTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
ICOM IC781
« on: March 19, 2017, 05:26:53 am »
G'day everyone,

I moved a while ago, and packed up my Ham Station which in itself was one hell of an exercise........but I had 2 of my old radio's packed away in the storeroom both in need of repair.

They are both IC781's and since I got my new radio's I didn't make the time to put into fixing them, but I now have a use for them and will have to make the effort to get them out and do the repairs.

They both suffer from the dreaded Power Supply / Regulator fault , which was very common in these radio's, so at least its a well known problem with an acceptable fix.

My problem is, I have never had the lids of these particular radio's, and I am told the power supply boards are an absolute pain to remove........they say its a near full disassemble of the radio...

I know its not going to make a whole lot of difference, but I am just trying to prep myself lol.....anyone done it ?

Cheers 73'
John VK2XYP

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
Re: ICOM IC781
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 05:48:25 am »
I haven't done it but do I adore the IC-781. You can probably find lots of support on the Icom 781 support group on yahoo groups.

If nothing else when you do it please post pictures and details here.
VE7FM

Offline NA5WH

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 07:13:33 am »
IC-781 ... think that was the first HF rig with the bandscope... I do remember it was one of the radios that I wanted when I first started looking at ham radio (when my friend got licensed). 

I remember seeing a photo journal of a tear down, but I can't seem to find it right now.  Love to see your progress when you go through it.

Offline HarbTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 02:20:38 pm »
Yeah thanks for the replies.....

There is a little bit of stuff on the web......doesn't really look like a big deal, so I will just knuckle down and do it.
I will definitely record it and put it up on my YouTube channel in case anyone else is interested.
Will come back here and let you know when I do that

:)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf