Author Topic: ICOM Rc-28  (Read 13619 times)

Offline cncjerryTopic starter

• Supporter
ICOM Rc-28
« on: March 15, 2018, 02:11:03 am »
Hello,

ICOM makes a small device that attaches to either a computer or ICOM radio called an RC-28.  It can be used to tune the sub receiver on an ic-7610 for instance.  It costs a little north of $200.

I've coded mouse and keyboard drivers on an STM32F4 board, pretty easy, and I was thinking if I had the enumeration for the device and/or other driver info, I would be able to build an encoder driver  that would attach to the radio instead of the RC-28 using some of the STM32F4 boards I have here.

They ship a DLL with it as it can also attach directly to a PC.  Anyone know how to decompile the DLL to see what is going on?  In that way if I get my encoder working with a PC you would think it would work with the radio.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Jerry

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
Re: ICOM Rc-28
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 02:48:07 am »
You're not alone in wanting to clone the RC-28. I've always figured it was nothing more then a mouse with a unique VID and PID. I was surprised it needed a firmware update to work properly with the IC-7610. The Griffin Powermate seems like a cheap alternative if it could be made to work.
VE7FM

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 03:53:12 am »
Steve, what bugs me about the mouse on the 7610 is that in CW, you can click on a signal but then you need to take your hand off the mouse to finish tuning.  I don't know why they can't use the freakin wheel?  I mean, how hard is it?  I think the reason they don't want to support the mouse wheel is that then cheap bozos like me would be able to code up a mouse program using an encoder and dupe the rc-28.  I've been playing around, and you can almost tune by holding the left click and moving the mouse.  I say almost as it is twitchy.

I'm probably going to purchase the Rc-28 and scope it to see what codes it's using.  Even at that point, though I am stuck with the device, I could play around and build other control systems for the radio.  By the way, it's a bear to code a program to do simple things.  I wrote some code in VB 2017 community and I am working my way through the roughly 1000 commands.  Again, I'm sure I'll purchase their remote control software, this is just for my own edification.

Back to the RC-28, I searched everywhere for code.  All I have is the HIDxxx.dll (can't remember the actual name).

Thanks,

Jerry

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 04:06:39 am »
I considered buying one but don't think I'd get enough use out of it. I have an Icom 7800 which has no need for an external second VFO(it's built in). I do use RS-BA1 but so far I only use it for working digital modes such as FT8(worked Tahiti on 20 meters 30 minutes ago using it).

Maybe you can extract the firmware from the update they released not too long ago.
VE7FM

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 04:22:24 am »
I saw a firmware update, downloaded it and it executes as an exe file.  I'll take a look at it.  If they used a PIC as the internal processor then maybe I can do something with it.

How do you like the 7800?  You haven't had it that long, have you?  I thought I saw where you picked it up a few months ago?

Jerry

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 04:35:10 am »
I saw a firmware update, downloaded it and it executes as an exe file.  I'll take a look at it.  If they used a PIC as the internal processor then maybe I can do something with it.

How do you like the 7800?  You haven't had it that long, have you?  I thought I saw where you picked it up a few months ago?

Jerry

Had an IC-7600 for several years and always enjoyed it. With the 7610 being released the price of the 7800's are finally coming down. Made an offer on one already located in Canada and the seller accepted after a bit. Original owner, all docs/manuals/box etc with it. So far I absolutely love it. If I have one complaint it is that the LCD is showing its age. There was a slightly updated model of the original 7800 released in Europe though so when I get the service manual for it I will see what Icom updated the LCD with. I also considered a 7610 but this was cheaper by a decent margin and just something I always wanted. The fit and finish is well above my 7600. It is also lacking a direct USB interface like the 7600/7610 has but the RS-BA1 software handles that nicely for me using a network connection which is preferred to USB anyway(it is isolated).
VE7FM

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 06:35:43 pm »
The 7800 is a killer radio.  I looked around, couldn't find out at a reasonable price, then tried for the TS-990 and that fell through.  So I bought the 7610.  Seems like a great radio.

Offline gand23

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 09:06:08 pm »
Are there any news about cloning rc-28?

Offline Hawke

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 05:11:53 am »
 You can download a trial version of Binary Ninja or IDA to have a look at what the library is doing and it may be even easier if done with C# you can identify the compiler with DIE Do It Easy it will also show what if any type of obfuscation is in the library. Both of those decompilers add human readable English to the assembler output for people that haven't worked with registers. It may have a secondary device driver with it to access a port on a Ring 0 privilege but I cant see an Icom library being to hard to poke at. Almost every thing written in C# can be decompiled back into actual source code using .NET Reflector and its as easy as clicking a button with reflector type programs.
Cheers

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 11:34:38 pm »
I finally broke down and bought an rc-28.  This will give me some ideas as to how this is coded (e.g. VID, PID, etc).  I've coded some mouse drivers with stm32f4 and F7 boards.   I'll post here if I make progress.  I would love to be able to write a simple driver for a $15 STM discovery board that would interface with a standard rotary encoder.  The RC-28, though well built, etc is way over priced for a rotary USB device with two buttons.

Jerry

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 04:31:21 pm »
Rc-28 came today.  It uses a VID 0c26 but the device id is not as below which is registered.  That must be old.

Prolific Technology Inc. 0018  USB-Serial Controller [Icom Inc. OPC-478UC]

So now I have to figure out how to trace the USB port.  I see events on the system using the event manager so maybe I can dig through there unless there is an easier way?  I know it has a serial number that would need to be sent to the host as well. 

So I have my work cut out for me.

Any hints on how to make this easier?  I thought about just tracing the data lines using a logic analyzer or my DSO.  I could just open it up and see what chip they are using as well.  Maybe it isn't protected?

Thanks

Jerry

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 05:34:28 pm »
Can it be opened easily - and if so does it happen to use serial data between a USB chip and a microcontroller?
I am sure it is a glorified mouse, it wouldn't make any sense for them to use anything else.
VE7FM

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 10:59:00 pm »
When I plug it into the PC, it is enumerated as a USB Input Device:

USB\VID_0C26&PID_001E&REV_0001

I know very little about USB but I was able to program an STM32F4 board to act as a mouse.  So I assume there is a data structure setup that is passed to the PC as a reply to some inbound request.  I am searching through Tilen's (STM32F4discovery.net) examples, those which I've used in the past, to see if there is a data structure I need to populate differently then when I created the mouse.  If I find the data structure, then I should be able to get the driver loaded.  Then I have to translate and reply to the request for a serial number.  I should be able to just send reports to the PC.  Reports are what describe the mouse movement, keyboards keys, etc.

Sounds simple, eh?  I figure a $15 STM32 discovery board and an encoder would be cheaper than a $200 rotary encoder.  I need a couple of these things.

So, I am digging around.

Jerry

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 12:39:03 am »
I found the data structure where the VID and PID are coded and I am going to recompile and test.  There could be some secret sauce I'm missing but one step at a time.  Worst case is I hook up the logic analyzer and decode the stream.

The RC-28 adds a ton of function to both the 7610 as well as the RS-BA1 software.  Having a low cost version is clearly worth the effort.

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 05:51:43 pm »
so I have my code working as a mouse again and then started modifying it to match the RC-28.  I have the VID, PID, Class and subclass all correct.  I have everything I can see except the Serial number string and that gets into the path string as well, correct.  But of course it isn't working.  It could also be the report I am sending to the PC.  Remember, you send reports to the PC that contain the data from the device.  There is a code, could be anything, but I want to get the serial number string working first.  I don't know how that is created.  In my example code, the serial number is a summation of three hex ids opposed to a text string. 

This is a lengthy learning process.  I was reading USB data flows last night.  What I need is a way to trace the USB data flows.  I was looking at the event viewer last night but couldn't get it working.

Thoughts? 

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2018, 09:42:03 pm »
ok, I resolved how to get the serial number into the device descriptor.  I have the VID, PID, Class, subclass and now serial number string all reporting correctly to the PC.  Now I have to trace the device to see what the differences are.  MS has an event tracer, somewhat difficult to use as there is a lot of data you have to sort through.

When I start ICOM's RS-BA1 software and look at the USB device drop down, I don't see the device I'm creating.  This can mean about anything.  The software could be looking for a sub-subclass that isn't exposed, for example.

Anyway, still digging.

Jerry

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 11:14:06 pm »
There is a Linux (and I think perhaps other platforms) library to allow the use of the Hercules DJ controllers for SDR. They can be found fairly cheap (~$50) used and they have multiple control surfaces including two large encoder knobs, the simulated CD platters, as well as many other knobs which likely can be used for other controls.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2018, 07:06:34 am »
ok, major progress tonight.  I found a tool, tdd.exe that dumps the USB interface descriptor.  I have a bunch of errors in my descriptor but easily fixed as they are just a sequence of bytes.  This tool will be very handy for debugging USB enumeration issues.

Anyway, I was trying to use the MS Message Analyzer which reportedly you can use for tracing usb data flows but I had a problem with the surface hub I am using.

I expect by tomorrow I should have the STM32F767 board recognized by the Icom remote control program.  Then I should be able to just send it reports with encoder positions.  There are also three buttons on it and it looks like they use the standard mouse descriptor for them.

My intent with the 767 touchscreen is to use it for programmable buttons the trigger both CW and Voice recordings on the 7610 as well as interface with the remote encoder for the sub receiver.  This will make a nice package, not cheap, but high function.

More to come...

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2018, 11:41:52 am »
Maybe you already know but you can use wireshark to capture USB traffic: https://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/USB
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2018, 07:31:37 pm »
thanks for the wireshark link.

I have a basic problem with my code I guess.  I started out with a mouse end point device which is a one way transfer.  The HID I need is two way.  So in modifying the device descriptor I had to add an "out" endpoint, which I did.   This changed all the structure lengths but I have the device descriptor looking perfect except it isn't reading the string descriptor table correctly. It could be an alignment issue, I don't know, I've been staring at it all  I morning.  I dont even see how the string table is defined in this code as it is all macros.  The other issue is the report descriptor is wrong as I was using the mouse report descriptor (so it would be wrong). 

The real issue is that all this is new to me.  The guy that wrote this base code is really good with stm32Fx boards on stm32f4-discovery.net.  I think he has a generic HID driver that should have two end points instead of just this mouse code.  Maybe I have to go back to basics. 

I thought once I got the device descriptors correct I would be flying but no, of course not.

I need someone that knows stm32f4 boards and USB devices to lean in here.

Thanks for reading along.

Jerry

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2018, 07:46:04 pm »
Hi Jerry,

I'm far from an expert in USB communication but I've reverse engineered the odd USB device and Wireshark was helpful. I too experimented with HID devices but that was on the PIC platform, and what I remember is that it is not really intuitive with the device descriptors, the endpoints an such. I wonder why you say that you need a two way transfer, do you mean the pc is going to send data to the device? If it is a mouse-like HID what would that data be, does it use polling or something like that?

Unfortunately I have no experience with stm32 devices so I can't offer any assistance there but I'm following your quest ;)

Paul
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2018, 03:19:56 am »
Yes, the device does two way with the PC or radio.  I assume it is just to turn on the lights.

Take a look at the good device descriptor first and then mine second.  You'll see that the string descriptor table is not being read correctly.  Doesn't make sense as it was working a while back but as I started to make changes to my device descriptor table, it started presenting this error.  I've checked it a bunch of times, can't find anything wrong with it.  I looked at it in debug and setting aside the two bytes per character for unicode, it is fine.  I then moved it in the sequence the device sends to the PC and there was no difference.  Also, the PC sees the right data from my device as the serial and mfgr data is correct.

The error I get during enumeration is:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR

The good data from a real RC-28:

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Information for device Icom RC-28 REMOTE ENCODER (VID=0x0C26 PID=0x001E):

Connection Information:
------------------------------
Device current bus speed: FullSpeed
Device supports USB 1.1 specification
Device supports USB 2.0 specification
Device address: 0x001A
Current configuration value: 0x01
Number of open pipes: 2

Device Descriptor:
0x12                   bLength
0x01             bDescriptorType
0x0200           bcdUSB
0x00                   bDeviceClass     
0x00                   bDeviceSubClass   
0x00                   bDeviceProtocol   
0x08                   bMaxPacketSize0   (8 bytes)
0x0C26           idVendor
0x001E           idProduct
0x0001           bcdDevice
0x01                   iManufacturer   "Icom Inc."
0x02                   iProduct   "Icom RC-28 REMOTE ENCODER"
0x03                   iSerialNumber   "RC-28 0102074"
0x01                   bNumConfigurations

Configuration Descriptor:
0x09                   bLength
0x02                   bDescriptorType
0x0029           wTotalLength   (41 bytes)
0x01                   bNumInterfaces
0x01                   bConfigurationValue
0x00                   iConfiguration
0xC0                   bmAttributes   (Self-powered Device)
0x32                   bMaxPower      (100 mA)

Interface Descriptor:
0x09                   cbLength
0x04                   bDescriptorType
0x00              bInterfaceNumber
0x00              bAlternateSetting
0x02                   bNumEndPoints
0x03                   bInterfaceClass      (Human Interface Device Class)
0x01                   bInterfaceSubClass   
0x00                   bInterfaceProtocol   
0x02                   iInterface   "Icom RC-28 REMOTE ENCODER"

HID Descriptor:
0x21                   bDescriptorType
0x0111           bcdHID
0x00                   bCountryCode
0x01                   bNumDescriptors
0x22                   bDescriptorType   (Report descriptor)
0x002D           bDescriptorLength

Endpoint Descriptor:
0x07                   bLength
0x05                   bDescriptorType
0x81                   bEndpointAddress  (IN endpoint 1)
0x03                   bmAttributes      (Transfer: Interrupt / Synch: None / Usage: Data)
0x0040           wMaxPacketSize    (1 x 64 bytes)
0x01                   bInterval         (1 frames)

Endpoint Descriptor:
0x07                   bLength
0x05                   bDescriptorType
0x01                   bEndpointAddress  (OUT endpoint 1)
0x03                   bmAttributes      (Transfer: Interrupt / Synch: None / Usage: Data)
0x01                   bInterval         (1 frames)

Microsoft OS Descriptor is not available. Error code: 0x0000001F

String Descriptor Table
--------------------------------
Index  LANGID  String
0x00   0x0000  0x0409
0x01   0x0409  "Icom Inc."
0x02   0x0409  "Icom RC-28 REMOTE ENCODER"
0x03   0x0409  "RC-28 0102074"

Connection path for device:
USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller
Root Hub
Generic USB Hub
Icom RC-28 REMOTE ENCODER (VID=0x0C26 PID=0x001E) Port: 4

Running on: Windows 10 or greater

Brought to you by TDD v2.11.0, Mar 26 2018, 09:54:50
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

and then the data from my device:

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Information for device USB\Vendor_0C26_Product_001E:

Connection Information:
Device current bus speed: FullSpeed
Device supports USB 1.1 specification
Device supports USB 2.0 specification
Device address: 0x0010
Current configuration value: 0x01
Number of open pipes: 2

Device Descriptor:
0x12                   bLength
0x01                   bDescriptorType
0x0200           bcdUSB
0x00                   bDeviceClass     
0x00                   bDeviceSubClass   
0x00                   bDeviceProtocol   
0x08                   bMaxPacketSize0   (8 bytes)
0x0C26           idVendor
0x001E           idProduct
0x0001           bcdDevice
0x01                   iManufacturer
0x02                   iProduct
0x03                   iSerialNumber
0x01                   bNumConfigurations

Configuration Descriptor:
0x09                   bLength
0x02                   bDescriptorType
0x0029           wTotalLength   (41 bytes)
0x01                   bNumInterfaces
0x01                   bConfigurationValue
0x00                   iConfiguration
0xC0                   bmAttributes   (Self-powered Device)
0x32                   bMaxPower      (100 mA)

Interface Descriptor:
0x09                   bLength
0x04                   bDescriptorType
0x00                   bInterfaceNumber
0x00                   bAlternateSetting
0x02                   bNumEndPoints
0x03                   bInterfaceClass      (Human Interface Device Class)
0x01                   bInterfaceSubClass   
0x00                   bInterfaceProtocol   
0x02                   iInterface

HID Descriptor:
0x21                   bDescriptorType
0x0111           bcdHID
0x00                   bCountryCode
0x01                   bNumDescriptors
0x22                   bDescriptorType   (Report descriptor)
0x002D           bDescriptorLength

Endpoint Descriptor:
0x07                   bLength
0x05                   bDescriptorType
0x81                   bEndpointAddress  (IN endpoint 1)
0x03                   bmAttributes      (Transfer: Interrupt / Synch: None / Usage: Data)
0x01   v              bInterval         (1 frames)

Endpoint Descriptor:
0x07                   bLength
0x05                   bDescriptorType
0x01                   bEndpointAddress  (OUT endpoint 1)
0x01                   bInterval         (1 frames)

Microsoft OS Descriptor is not available. Error code: 0x0000001F

String Descriptor Table
--------------------------------
Index  LANGID  String
0x00   0x0000 
0x01   0x0000  Request failed with 0x0000001F
0x02   0x0000  Request failed with 0x0000001F
0x03   0x0000  Request failed with 0x0000001F

Connection path for device:
USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller
Root Hub
Generic USB Hub
USB\Vendor_0C26_Product_001E Port: 2

Running on: Windows 10 or greater

Brought to you by TDD v2.11.0, Mar 26 2018, 09:54:50

I'm not giving up but running out of ideas.  The issue could be the string descriptor maybe varies by device descriptor.  Most of this is published but in volumes of data.

Ideas?

thanks

Jerry

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2018, 05:07:46 am »
wireshark is pretty darn cool.  really easy to use.

According to it, my string descriptor is contained in a malformed packet.  This confirms what the TDD.exe is telling me.  I used that to dump the descriptors.  But now I don't know why.  I didn't mess with that code.  Also, the packet has no semblance of correctness at all.  I would have thought I would see some of the bytes.  So this must have something to do with the Unicode process that builds the string descriptor.  Maybe something to do with alignment as all the arrays are byte, word or double word aligned.

Anyway, this keeps me on the current track.

Jerry

• Supporter
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2018, 10:16:02 pm »
Well, I'm sure there is more than one icom owner reading this thread... waiting... can he do it?  Save me $200 on a rotary encoder???

Ha, success!  I'll admit to coding micros for 42yrs  but all this USB stuff is new to me.  So this is a yuuuge accomplishment for me.  Wireshark and Tdd.exe were key, so thank you.

I don't know what I am going to do yet with the code.  My vision is an STM32F767 with touch screen and rotary encoder.  The touch screen is for external buttons that activate the prerecorded CW and voice files on the radio.  Used with the RS-BA1 software on a PC the button combinations are endless but the real need is the encoder as the RS-BA1 software is tough to tune without it, unless you find the key combinations which I found yesterday, finally.

Anyway, I have the RS-BA1 recognizing my HID device and responding to my reports to move the tuning dial.  Now I have to code up the encoder and buttons which is easy considering all these structures that had to be coded for USB enumeration.

Now I have to figure out if: 1) I make a product; 2) publish in QST or QEX; 3) Just say heck with it and keep it for myself.  Not to sound like a jerk it's just that I've found some of the people on the icom forums to be really against hacks, mods, etc.  I point to all the flack I took by mentioning that I made a slightly heavier knob for my radio.  Then the poor guy that made the heatsink clips for the ADCs, you would have thought he painted over the Mona Lisa with a roller!  That's the reason I haven't mentioned this on that forum.

For a low cost encoder, I can pick up an STM32f4 disco board for like $15 plus a high quality encoder for about 25 and for less than $50, have pretty much all the important functionality of the RC28 which is over $225 in the states (unless you buy from Japan off ebay).

Anyway, thanks for the help. I'll  post as I move along and build the encoder enclosure and touch screen.  You might remember I have a complete CNC shop in my basement so I want to make sure the encoder is heavy, solid, and smooth turning.

Jerry

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ, TheSteve, rhodges, hmscott

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2018, 11:02:58 pm »
Jerry, a huge congratulations!
I know the group you speak of and a few people there really do get worked up over silly things, especially mods.
I do hope you share the information, either publicly or privately but do understand if you don't.
I can't wait to see what you build. I had always thought modifying a Griffin Powermate would be a nice affordable option(no idea what it uses internally though for a MCU).
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: hmscott

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf