Electronics > RF, Microwave, Ham Radio

Is there any small capacitance/Q meter out there for small RF capacitors?

(1/3) > >>

rf-fil:
I have a VNA, which is perfect for measuring small capacitors, but I often have it hooked up to something else.. So I'm looking for some hand-held tweezer-like meter that can accurately measure small capacitances, 0.1pF to 100pF and also the tangent delta.

Btw, normal multimeters or cheap capacitance meters from ebay are not good - they show the wrong capacitance when tangent delta is too high. And they don't really work that well with capacitors below maybe 10pF.

My use cases are:
- checking that I have the correct 0402 / 0603 / etc. capacitor
- checking PCB test coupons
- measuring trimmer capacitors prior to replacement with corresponding fixed values

So, it's really measurement of impedances that happen to be mostly capacitive. But let's call it a capacitance meter :-).

What are the suggestions? Kits, pro instruments can all be considered.

mtdoc:
The DE-5000 handheld LCR meter has 0.01pF resolution at its lowest range. I believe it can be found for about $100 on eBay.

tautech:
For a pro and trustworthy tool, ST5S tweezers.
http://www.smarttweezers.com/st5s/

mtdoc:
Those ST5S tweezers always look so cool. I wish I could justify buying some for my modest hobbyist pursuits...

tautech:

--- Quote from: mtdoc on July 20, 2018, 03:13:44 am ---Those ST5S tweezers always look so cool. I wish I could justify buying some for my modest hobbyist pursuits...

--- End quote ---
Only a few here own them since many have seen one of Daves early vids I think on the same set I have, ST3 and really for a top PCB guy Dave had no idea how capable these things really are. I use mine more than a DMM or a scope.
I've had these for years and would replace them in an instant.
Study the specs and accuracy and they come with a Cal cert.
They're a 4 wire device and not restricted to SMD and that's the big mistake ppl make when not considering them.

I put all hobby spending on hold for a while in order to afford them way back then when all I had was a CRO and a shitty DMM.
IIRC blueskull got a set based on my recommendation and hasn't been disappointed.
Good tools just cost !  :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version