Author Topic: J310 JFets  (Read 9103 times)

Offline CJayTopic starter

• Super Contributor
J310 JFets
« on: July 27, 2017, 03:35:58 pm »
Arrgh, so, I find the J310 is a nice little VHF FET, decent package, rated by a lot of people who homebrew and is used in a *lot* of projects out there on the web.

Except, it's obsolete in TO-92.

So, do I bodge it into my homebrew projects in SMD form, search for some magical end of rainbow pot of J310s somewhere or is there a nice alternative out there that's cheap enough for me to buy a bag of 50 or more?

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
Re: J310 JFets
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 04:59:48 pm »
THT case jfets are getting more an more obsolete and expensive, but there are SMD alternatives. If it is for RF application the tendency is anyway to go SMD and the SOT23 case is still possible dead bug style.  One might be lucky and get a few old ones from not so suspicious sites, but they are generally already expensive - so not to buy like 50 pieces.

The direct replacement would be MMBFJ310 or SST310.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 05:46:40 pm »
Most of what I will use them for won't extend beyond ~50MHz so I'm thinking SOT to TO-92 adapter board as it's looking incredibly unlikely I will find a trustworthy source of them (alibaba is full of them but, trusting they're the real deal, hmm...).

An adapter board also opens up the possibility of making a single package cascode/dual gate FET which could be useful

The SST310 is already showing as obsolete so I'm just about to order a hundred of the others.

Offline medical-nerd

• Regular Contributor
  • What's that coming over the hill?
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 06:02:32 pm »
Hiya

There is some on ebay in uk:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/J310-N-Channel-RF-Amp-JFET-On-Tape-Lot-of-10-/172564131279?hash=item282d9fadcf:g:4BUAAOSwWxNYvVAB

By seller PW-ELECTRONICS

They have sold a lot of these over the past couple of years - I may stock up.

Cheers

'better to burn out than fade away'

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 06:37:11 pm »
I would not expect the SOT23 version to go obsolete to soon. There are several manufacturers for this - some may stop this or just do minute changes to the tapes.

For the BF862 there was quite some confusion on going obsolete. However in this case they only changes the tapes (something like different positions /  spacing.  For manual use this does not matter and for the machines it is just entering the correct tape type.

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 08:52:00 pm »
On Semi recently introduced a handful of new JFETs, even; they're very slightly better than the esteemed BF862.

If you can't handle SOT-23 and such, man, Idunno.  You're screwing yourself over if you let yourself think that. :--  I find SMT better for everything except breadboarding -- and the solderless breadboard isn't of much use in applications like this (RF amps and such, up to 50MHz), so you're surely not losing much?

And if you still need to breadboard, breakout boards are easily made -- I have a couple 2N7002 and BSS84 floating around, that are mounted on hunks of FR-4, carved up for the connections, with pigtails soldered on for breadboarding.  Ugly but it works. :)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline LaserSteve

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 09:55:20 pm »
Try a U310 ?
Mouser has 234 in the plastic package.
Not cheap at 7.34 each..
They have J309 as well, and I'm having a hard time telling the difference from the Motorola / On Semi data sheet.
J309 are 4.09$ each with 134 in stock

Steve
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 09:59:46 pm by LaserSteve »
"What the devil kind of Engineer are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse?"

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 05:08:37 am »
Been meaning to get some too...
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 07:21:55 am »
J309 are 4.09$ each with 134 in stock

Steve
Heh, I was about to post that I'd found a bag of J309s in my stash and was finding it difficult to spot the difference in the datasheet.

I've gone the SOT-23 route for J310s, a strip of 100 should be appearing in the post today, they were ~18p each.

The following users thanked this post: cdev

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 07:59:26 am »
On Semi recently introduced a handful of new JFETs, even; they're very slightly better than the esteemed BF862.

If you can't handle SOT-23 and such, man, Idunno.  You're screwing yourself over if you let yourself think that. :--  I find SMT better for everything except breadboarding -- and the solderless breadboard isn't of much use in applications like this (RF amps and such, up to 50MHz), so you're surely not losing much?

And if you still need to breadboard, breakout boards are easily made -- I have a couple 2N7002 and BSS84 floating around, that are mounted on hunks of FR-4, carved up for the connections, with pigtails soldered on for breadboarding.  Ugly but it works. :)

Tim

Interesting, have you any part numbers for the new ones?

Heh, I'm definitely not scared of SMT, I love how cheap I can find SMD versions of chips like the NE602, AD8307 etc.

The main reason for an adapter board was just to make it simpler to throw one into a circuit that's already together without having to do too much alteration and of course I can make 'dual gate' modules (though, I've also got a bag of BF981 'dots') but I also have to admit I prefer a TO-92 (or non SMT), I don't really know why other than it 'feels' nicer which is a ridiculous reason, especially as I know how much more RF friendly SMD is.

(An aside, before the internet I 'invented' manhattan and ugly construction techniques all by myself, of course *many* other constructors must have been doing it for many years already but I'd never seen it done, indeed the guys at the local electronics shops were impressed with how literal the technique was, one commented 'It's like you've soldered the circuit diagram to a board')

Offline Alex Nikitin

• Super Contributor
  • Femtoampnut and Tapehead.
    • A.N.T. Audio
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 08:59:30 am »
Arrgh, so, I find the J310 is a nice little VHF FET, decent package, rated by a lot of people who homebrew and is used in a *lot* of projects out there on the web.

Except, it's obsolete in TO-92.

So, do I bodge it into my homebrew projects in SMD form, search for some magical end of rainbow pot of J310s somewhere or is there a nice alternative out there that's cheap enough for me to buy a bag of 50 or more?

It is still available in TO-92.

Cheers

Alex

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 09:18:26 am »
First post, so hello ;)

I've been using the 2N5485 from Tayda as a lazy substitute for the MPF102, J310 etc in projects. Seem to be well-labelled genuine Fairchild devices.  They apparently work well into the UHF region although I haven't pushed them past 144MHz-ish (2m band). I bought 20 of them and haven't got through half yet.

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/t-transistors/2n-series/2n5485-jfet-n-channel-transistor.html

You can get them here quicker in the UK for a higher price:

https://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=140_151_154&products_id=1076

The following users thanked this post: oPossum, cdev

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 03:29:52 pm »
It is still available in TO-92.

Cheers

Alex

Fair play, yes it is but ouch, that's a horrendous price. I got the SOT23 versions for ~18p (arrived today)

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 12:37:44 am »
Hi,

the TO-92 versions are still available, and if you want the with high drain currents, this case is a lot better than SMD.
Some broadband, low noise HF amps use 4 x J310 in parallel, with good results and low noise

https://electronicprojectsforfun.wordpress.com/rf-module-gallery/the-amplifier-module-gallery/a-quad-jfet-hf-amplifier/

Offline vk4ffab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2018, 01:23:39 am »
I know it does not help you, but i bought a hundred of them a couple years back, I have a life times supply. Its probably time to pick a few essential through hole devices you like to use often in your homebrew and stockpile them, the same goes for the larger size SMD packages, they to are getting harder to get.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 06:17:13 am »
I've stocked up on SMD versions so I'm good for a few years but I've also found through hole alternatives which seem to work quite nicely (can't remeber the part number right now but I'll post it later when I get home)

The following users thanked this post: vk4ffab

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf