Author Topic: Kirkbymicrowave SMA calkit gender on HP8753C  (Read 1194 times)

Offline izsurkTopic starter

Kirkbymicrowave SMA calkit gender on HP8753C
« on: November 05, 2018, 05:03:40 pm »
Hi guys,

I've got the 7GHz SMA calkit by kirkbymicrowave. Unfortunately, I can not remember the correct selection for the gender during calibration. I know there was a little "specialty" regarding the gender on HP instruments. There was a section on the kirkbymicrowave website on this topic but I can not find this either. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
Re: Kirkbymicrowave SMA calkit gender on HP8753C
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 05:29:58 pm »
Check this link:
https://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/Support/vector-network-analyzers/HP-Agilent-Keysight/8753/

And a quote from that link:
"the gender on the HP menus refers to the test port, and not the calibration standard."
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: izsurk

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 01:41:30 pm »
"Testport" by the means of the connectors on the HP8753C (N female) or on the S-Parameter-Testset (APC7 = genderless?). I don't get it ...   :-BROKE

SMA calibration std female -> select male or female at the softkeys of the calibration menu?
SMA calibration std male-> select male or female at the softkeys of the calibration menu?

Offline SpencerTC

• Contributor
  • Curious mind
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 02:00:03 pm »
I have an 8753ES and when I'm using a calkit with female standards, I configure the VNA for "male". It is very counter-intuitive.

If you would like I could take a photo of the page/section in the 8753's manual that refers to this (assuming that I can find it), I read it a year or so ago and it removed the uncertainty that I had about the issue.

Regards,
Trent Spencer - KM4YTU

The following users thanked this post: izsurk

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 04:52:05 pm »
Hi,

thanks for all your replies.

It sounds kind of familiar to me -> using the female calibration std you need to select the male std in the VNA. (And vice versa)

Thanks for your help

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 06:38:40 pm »
"Testport" by the means of the connectors on the HP8753C (N female) or on the S-Parameter-Testset (APC7 = genderless?). I don't get it ...   :-BROKE

SMA calibration std female -> select male or female at the softkeys of the calibration menu?
SMA calibration std male-> select male or female at the softkeys of the calibration menu?

Test port in this context means 'whatever you attach the calibration standards to'.

So you might have an APC-7 to N adapter on the VNA, then an N cable, then an N to SMA male adapter. The test port is the SMA male and you use the SMA female cal standards.

The best accuracy is achieved by testing APC-7 devices with no adapters and an APC-7 cal kit of course, but in real life you won't be doing that and will need to use adapters and cables. The calibration process compensates for the effect the adapters have on the measurement. (with limitations but that's another subject)

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 06:49:16 pm »
And newer units are the opposite of course, they also show a picture on the screen to help avoid confusion.
VE7FM

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf