Author Topic: Looking for bluetooth transmitter for TV  (Read 1746 times)

Offline PeabodyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Looking for bluetooth transmitter for TV
« on: November 11, 2017, 10:57:54 pm »
I have an Anker bluetooth speaker, and a TV with a headphone jack, and would like to be able to listen to the TV audio a couple rooms away once in a while.  I see bluetooth transmitters like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/131503064577

but am concerned about whether they actually deliver on the nominal 10 meter range.  I would need that.

So I just wondered if anyone here has found one of these that they like, and that has good range.  Around US$10-15 if possible.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
Re: Looking for bluetooth transmitter for TV
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 12:17:22 am »
Hard to guess, without knowing the nature of the obstacles between point A and B. Often the only way to find out is to try it. Other devices operating on or near the same frequency by yourself or your neighbors may also be a factor.

Offline TheDane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 01:58:11 pm »
I have a cheap Bluetooth audio transmitter, and it works ok in a single room with about 5 meters distance.
If I walk in between the transmitter and receiver, I sometimes get drops in audio.
It is not the same model as yours, but it also has an internal antenna.
The Rx unit also sports an internal antenna. Antenna = HF mouth and ears  :-X

I would recommend getting a device with an external antenna - like this on AliExpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/USB-3-5mm-Wireless-Bluetooth-4-0-A2DP-Stereo-Music-Audio-Transmitter-Sender-for-Laptop-PC/32810951109.html
Then your chances of them interacting correctly is much higher. Yeah, Bluetooth is a two-way thing.  ;D

Then an extra/two WiFi directional antenna, if you experience dropouts anyways. Walls tends to attenuate 2.4GHz signals quite well. I guess you do not want to run RG-174 or other cable (COMPLETELY) in between rooms and devices.

Beware that some units have quite a lengthy delay, which can be quite annoying if you use it actively - skipping parts of the movie a lot, etc.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 02:55:15 pm »
I may be able to avoid this purchase after all.  I had forgotten that my old Hisense Android tablet has Bluetooth, and I found an app called "Announcement Mike" that outputs the tablet's microphone input to the Bluetooth speaker.  The range is fine, but the downside is that the audio coming in through the mic is not very good.  The separate Bluetooth transmitter would take the feed directly from the TV headphone jack.  Unfortunately, it appears the headphone jack on the tablet is not a headset jack, with mic input.

Anyway, I'll play with this for a while and see how it goes.  Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 06:22:01 pm »
RTFM, dumbass.  The tablet jack is indeed a headset jack.  So I should be able to rig this up once I find a 4-conductor 3.5mm plug.  I guess I've never noticed before, but I'm surprised that the mic conductor is at the base of the plug.  Is that typical?

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 06:40:10 pm »
There's two standards, one as in your picture, the other with GND and MIC swapped. Both will work as headphone jacks, but you need the right one for your headset if you want the microphone to work.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 09:12:30 pm »
I ended up getting one of the B5 models with the external antenna suggested by TheDane, and it works pretty well.  The range is all I need, and the audio sounds pretty good.  And while it doesn't matter for this particular use, there is very little delay - you don't have the sense that lip sync is off.   So it should work well watching TV with Bluetooth headphones. Mine cost $12.69 delivered from a US Ebay seller.  Requires a USB connection for power, which my TV has.

The following users thanked this post: TheDane

Offline TheDane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 02:05:17 pm »
Great news Peabody,

I presume it also penetrates walls, and the distance is 10 meters, using the supplied antenna.
Nice to know.
Have you tried with movement in the pathway?

Built in RF antennas is not the best kind - no matter what frequency. 
- too sad I can't patent an external antenna and put it on a mobile phone  ;D

The best ones are at the top left - right?  :-DD

My first phone is/was #4, a blue Nokia 3510. It still keeps going quite well on the original battery - I charge and discharge it once in a while (quarterly/half year), and I keep it running for a few days at a time. The battery lasts for days with no calls made. Must take care of those Li-ion batts, otherwise they decompose. If 'dead', it can be trained back to life, if the drain is low enough.  :popcorn:

Edit - phone = mobile phone.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 02:07:41 pm by TheDane »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 02:16:05 pm »
Walls and humans in the path do affect it, but it works almost as well as my tablet.  Another advantage of the external antenna is that for a fixed location like my TV, you can experiment with the orientation of the antenna and find what works best.

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 01:51:45 pm »
I dont want to place an AD but I use this one: http://www.senanetworks.com/ud100-g03.html?sc=14&category=3968
With an nice and big Antenna I have a full coverage in my Apartment.  :-+
Made in Japan, destroyed in Sulz im Wienerwald.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf