Author Topic: Morse Code - Decode  (Read 2886 times)

Offline ElectricGuyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Morse Code - Decode
« on: May 21, 2016, 07:17:06 pm »
Hi;

Today i was fixing a radio and noticed a pattern that it looks like Morse code.
I recorded the pattern with my phone.
Can somebody tell me what is the message?

Thanks

PS - You have to turn up the volume, because is very noise!
Thank you!
Regards
ElectricGuy

Offline gfiber

• Contributor
Re: Morse Code - Decode
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 09:13:10 pm »
Sounds like the morse being sent is "POR"  Might be an aviation navigation station.

Gary K8IZ
Gary K8IZ

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 09:28:03 pm »
Sounds like the morse being sent is "POR"  Might be an aviation navigation station.

Gary K8IZ

Hi

Pretty good bet for a radio in Portugal.

Bob

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 09:33:32 pm »
Thanks
Thank you!
Regards
ElectricGuy

Offline AG6QR

• Frequent Contributor
    • AG6QR Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 05:31:09 am »
It's definitely the letters "POR", being sent pretty slowly.  Was that pattern repeating over and over?  It does sound like an aviation beacon.

In Portugal, that would be the PORTO NDB, at 327 kHz, located near the Francisco Sá Carneiro Airport.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 01:41:26 pm »
It's definitely the letters "POR", being sent pretty slowly.  Was that pattern repeating over and over?  It does sound like an aviation beacon.

In Portugal, that would be the PORTO NDB, at 327 kHz, located near the Francisco Sá Carneiro Airport.

Hi AG6QR;

Yes, that pattern is repeating over and over! And i live at about 3km from thet Francisco Sá Carneiro Airport.
Thank you!
Regards
ElectricGuy

Offline djacobow

• Super Contributor
  • takin' it apart since the 70's
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 08:28:15 pm »
All radio nav signals for aircraft broadcast their ID in morse so that they can be positively identified by pilots prior to relying on them.

The code is quite slow because pilots are not trained in Morse. In fact, the dit-dah pattern is printed on the maps right next to the identifier. Here is this NDB:

https://skyvector.com/?ll=41.36433845574141,-8.708656300322021&chart=301&zoom=1

The following users thanked this post: BillyD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 08:55:57 pm »
All radio nav signals for aircraft broadcast their ID in morse so that they can be positively identified by pilots prior to relying on them.

The code is quite slow because pilots are not trained in Morse. In fact, the dit-dah pattern is printed on the maps right next to the identifier. Here is this NDB:

https://skyvector.com/?ll=41.36433845574141,-8.708656300322021&chart=301&zoom=1

WoW, thanks. New things for me!!!!
Thank you!
Regards
ElectricGuy

Offline djacobow

• Super Contributor
  • takin' it apart since the 70's
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 09:14:16 pm »
WoW, thanks. New things for me!!!!

Sure thing. I know a lot more about aviation than I do about radio. :-)

By the way, depending on the type of radio you were fixing, you might have heard the VOR (also "POR") at 114.1 MHz rather than the NDB are 327 kHz.

It's interesting to me that there are still so many NDBs operating. When I got my US FAA instrument rating, I had to fly an NDB-approach for the test, but have never flown one "for real," and it has been a long time since I even flew an aircraft with a working ADF.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 10:32:05 pm »
NDB approaches are still testing material here in the UK, although I doubt they're used much if at all commercially unless you're out in some third world area somewhere. When I did my IMC rating I found them extraordinarily difficult to get my head round initially.

NDBs are far cheaper to maintain compared to VORs, we've seen a decimation of VORs in the UK in recent years.

ADFs (for the uninitiated, the ADF is a radio with a directional antenna used to listen to NDBs between about 190 and 535kHz) are affectionately held in high esteem by pilots in the UK for listening to the cricket on BBC Radio 4 long wave on 198kHz. Occasionally, when there's a live sporting event going on and I hear the result from the cockpit on a plane's PA on a commercial flight, I assume the pilots have been using the ADF to listen to an AM radio station. The AM receiver on the ADF is supposedly only there to positively ident the NDB's AM modulated CW tones, but it's equally at home listening to AM radio transmissions.

Offline sca

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 06:33:30 pm »
ADFs (for the uninitiated, the ADF is a radio with a directional antenna used to listen to NDBs between about 190 and 535kHz) are affectionately held in high esteem by pilots in the UK for listening to the cricket on BBC Radio 4 long wave on 198kHz. Occasionally, when there's a live sporting event going on...

I suppose you get a good view of the pigeons, cranes and busses from up there....

sca

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf