Author Topic: New: Signal Hound SM200A 20GHz SA  (Read 12782 times)

Offline Alegor

Re: New: Signal Hound SM200A 20GHz SA
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2018, 07:37:05 pm »
Yes, both devices - BB60C and Tek306B have some advantages in respect to each other, but both are very cost effective.

Offline taydin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2018, 08:06:52 pm »
What I would like to find out is whether the "intentional crippling" of the SM200A to conform with US export regulations is just a limitation in their control software. In other words, if I don't use their control software and use their API directly, am I going to be still subject to this crippling? I'm seriously considering buying this SA, it's at the top of my list of choices.

To be honest, I would probably never need the low POI that is being crippled, but I feel a little annoyed, because here I have to pay 40% more than somebody in the USA, and I get less SA in return ...
Real programmers use machine code!

My hobby projects http://mekatronik.org/forum

Offline Alegor

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2018, 09:11:32 pm »
What I would like to find out is whether the "intentional crippling" of the SM200A to conform with US export regulations is just a limitation in their control software. In other words, if I don't use their control software and use their API directly, am I going to be still subject to this crippling? I'm seriously considering buying this SA, it's at the top of my list of choices.

To be honest, I would probably never need the low POI that is being crippled, but I feel a little annoyed, because here I have to pay 40% more than somebody in the USA, and I get less SA in return ...
It's a good question. In concerning to the information on that page all restrictions added to Spike. We still have no sm200a and the support of this instrument is not included yet, hence we didn't make tests.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2018, 10:12:22 pm »

It is only software for BB60C, basically it is limit in Spike, not BB60C. It was clearly stated by SignalHound. If you use API or other application (instead of Spike) you have full speed POI..
But BB60C does no processing whatsoever inside unit, it's only digitizer, all is done on PC.  They are saying there is no analysis inside SM200, so it might be the same as for BB60...

Regards
Sinisa

Offline hendorogTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2018, 01:05:37 am »

You may pay more than someone in the US, but I believe you will get the same SA.

Offline CopperCone

• Super Contributor
  • *knock knock*
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2018, 01:29:06 am »

It is only software for BB60C, basically it is limit in Spike, not BB60C. It was clearly stated by SignalHound. If you use API or other application (instead of Spike) you have full speed POI..
But BB60C does no processing whatsoever inside unit, it's only digitizer, all is done on PC.  They are saying there is no analysis inside SM200, so it might be the same as for BB60...

Regards
Sinisa

can you stream that much data through a USB link ? I thought it would have to do some preprocessing on a FPGA but I don't know shit

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2018, 01:59:53 am »

Regards
Sinisa

can you stream that much data through a USB link ? I thought it would have to do some preprocessing on a FPGA but I don't know shit

I thought I read somewhere that the SM200A has to do some compression in the FPGA to squeeze the maximum RT bandwidth through the USB connection.

There is some limit/mask stuff in the datasheet, where you can get up to 20MHz streamed from a 160MHz total available bandwidth. That must need to be done on the FPGA.

Also they advertise that you can 'insert' your own DSP algorithm using the API. Would be great if they run on the FPGA, but I don't know if that is the intention.

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2018, 03:16:33 am »

Regards
Sinisa

I thought I read somewhere that the SM200A has to do some compression in the FPGA to squeeze the maximum RT bandwidth through the USB connection.

There is some limit/mask stuff in the datasheet, where you can get up to 20MHz streamed from a 160MHz total available bandwidth. That must need to be done on the FPGA.

Also they advertise that you can 'insert' your own DSP algorithm using the API. Would be great if they run on the FPGA, but I don't know if that is the intention.

There's a comment in the datasheet or elsewhere that says that you get 160MHz realtime for "sparse spectrum", indicating that there must be some kind of compression going on with the IQ stream.  When the 160MHz span gets busy or densely occupied, sounds like you won't get the full 160MHz realtime over the USB3.0 link.  40MHz realtime BW is about the limit for USB3.0 without compression if using decent resolution (12-14 bit) data.
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2018, 11:07:02 am »
I 'm sure BB60C streams data fully without any processing. SM200 would need some data compression, but that wouldn't necessarily interfere with POI.
Although, for SM200, deliberate, hardware based POI restrictions could be made, if requested from up high ....

Offline Alegor

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2018, 11:36:15 pm »
I 'm sure BB60C streams data fully without any processing. SM200 would need some data compression, but that wouldn't necessarily interfere with POI.
Although, for SM200, deliberate, hardware based POI restrictions could be made, if requested from up high ....
Yes, BB60C's IQ flow is not compressed, but SM200A has some restrictions:
"Sparse Spectrum I/Q Streaming: Users may load a mask, baseline,
or threshold to reject signals below User-Defined Amplitude Leve ls
(UDAL) and stream signals that are above the UDAL. The aggregat e
total of active streaming bandwidth is maintained at 20 MHz of the 160
MHz stare, or IBW (Instantaneous Bandwidth). The quantity of active
segments selected are regulated with a dynamic UDAL offset to en sure
aggregate system bandwidth does not exceed the 20 MHz limit."

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2018, 06:22:50 am »
Yes, BB60C's IQ flow is not compressed, but SM200A has some restrictions:
"Sparse Spectrum I/Q Streaming: Users may load a mask, baseline,
or threshold to reject signals below User-Defined Amplitude Leve ls
(UDAL) and stream signals that are above the UDAL. The aggregat e
total of active streaming bandwidth is maintained at 20 MHz of the 160
MHz stare, or IBW (Instantaneous Bandwidth). The quantity of active
segments selected are regulated with a dynamic UDAL offset to en sure
aggregate system bandwidth does not exceed the 20 MHz limit."

@Alegor,

Thanks for clarification..

By the way, RadioInspector looks really impressive..

Regards,

Sinisa

The following users thanked this post: Alegor

Offline max-bit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2018, 07:52:54 pm »
I would love to see a review together with teardown inside and big tests.
After that, the price is a bit high ...
Of course, in the price with Tek Key devices etc ... lower price, however ...

The following users thanked this post: AF6LJ

Offline fonograph

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2018, 06:25:38 am »
I hope they send one to Signal Path youtube channel.That would be smartest,best advertising they could do.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2018, 06:59:38 am »
I hope they send one to Signal Path youtube channel.That would be smartest,best advertising they could do.

I am pretty sure he has one, he mentioned it in a vid.

There is a clue on this page...
https://signalhound.com/news/category/ims-2017/

The following users thanked this post: fonograph

Offline fonograph

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2018, 08:47:51 am »

I am pretty sure he has one, he mentioned it in a vid.

There is a clue on this page...
https://signalhound.com/news/category/ims-2017/

Thats great! I would love to see Shariar review the SM200A,I would love to see Dave review it too but he isnt much into this RF & microwave stuff.

Offline Omicron

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2019, 05:12:31 pm »
This device has been on the market for some time now. Does anyone have some practical experience with it? Is it really as good as they claim it to be or are there limitations or drawbacks that aren't quite apparent at first glance?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf