Author Topic: Post your Call Sign  (Read 24052 times)

Offline tkuhmone

• Regular Contributor
Re: Post your Call Sign
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2017, 11:02:54 pm »
At first I was just going to post a couple arrows pointing to the left, 'cause that's where you'll see my call sign, then I spotted this "move" button, then tried it with ASCII art... too much?
I remember this call sign was used also on the movie "Contact". I bought the movie when I got my first laptop with a DVD player :)
Timo, OH7HMS

Offline W9GFO

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2017, 05:08:07 pm »
I remember this call sign was used also on the movie "Contact". I bought the movie when I got my first laptop with a DVD player :)

Yes, it was used in the movie. A brief description of how I came to have this call sign is here in this 20 year old, never been updated webpage. http://www.qsl.net/w9gfo/

Offline raspberrypi

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2017, 05:25:53 am »
I always wondered how they assign those. Is it based on country or location? How do they know its actually you and you're not just "borrowing" someone elses?
I'm legally blind so sometimes I ask obvious questions, but its because I can't see well.

Offline W9GFO

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2017, 10:40:49 am »
I always wondered how they assign those. Is it based on country or location? How do they know its actually you and you're not just "borrowing" someone elses?

Yes, based on country and location. In the US, the "W" prefix is used in the East and the "K" is used in the West. Vanity calls can use either. New callsigns are assigned sequentially. Other countries have their own prefixes.

"They" will know when other hams report you. Hams are self policing and almost universally takes the rules seriously. If they didn't they would risk losing (more) bands to commercial and government interests.

Offline W2NAP

• Supporter
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2017, 08:50:07 pm »

Yes, based on country and location. In the US, the "W" prefix is used in the East and the "K" is used in the West. Vanity calls can use either. New callsigns are assigned sequentially. Other countries have their own prefixes.

the K/W thing is mainly broadcast (AM,FM,TV) Hams get anything from a W,K,N,AA-AL all new tech/gens get a Kx# call no matter if they are east/west

Offline W9GFO

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2017, 09:27:10 pm »
the K/W thing is mainly broadcast (AM,FM,TV) Hams get anything from a W,K,N,AA-AL all new tech/gens get a Kx# call no matter if they are east/west

I stand (sit) corrected. It is the number than denotes region for Hams not the letter. This explains it pretty well; http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?id=amateur&job=call_signs_1

And this from wikipedia; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio_call_signs
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 09:31:14 pm by W9GFO »

Offline Theamber

« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2017, 04:50:13 am »
KE6OJE.

Offline raspberrypi

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2017, 07:12:31 am »

"They" will know when other hams report you. Hams are self policing and almost universally takes the rules seriously. If they didn't they would risk losing (more) bands to commercial and government interests.

Hmmm... I just ordered a baofung 455 mhz ham radio... Maybe I will get my license although I really don't like talking to the other people other then "Where are you located, can you hear me". I just like the "dx'ing" and trying to see how far/low power I can go. Unless I end up in jail before then. Press that little TX button and you are headed to jail.
I'm legally blind so sometimes I ask obvious questions, but its because I can't see well.

Offline raspberrypi

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2017, 07:15:13 am »

Yes, it was used in the movie. A brief description of how I came to have this call sign is here in this 20 year old, never been updated webpage. http://www.qsl.net/w9gfo/

I thought the spinning .gifs were the coolest thing ever when they came out. I like when you could do html in notepad.

Offline Harb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2017, 10:06:26 am »
New here, but VK2XYP is my call............cheers

Offline W9GFO

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2017, 10:45:32 am »
I thought the spinning .gifs were the coolest thing ever when they came out. I like when you could do html in notepad.

I made that using AutoCad along with some gif program, sure spins a lot faster now than when I made it.

Offline W9GFO

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2017, 10:53:44 am »
Hmmm... I just ordered a baofung 455 mhz ham radio... Maybe I will get my license although I really don't like talking to the other people other then "Where are you located, can you hear me". I just like the "dx'ing" and trying to see how far/low power I can go. Unless I end up in jail before then. Press that little TX button and you are headed to jail.

There are quite a few ham activities that do not require talking.

Getting a technician license is easy. Too easy in my opinion. There are a ton of resources for studying for the test, both free and paid. Anyone who puts a little effort into it will pass.

Offline W2NAP

• Supporter
« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2017, 02:01:41 pm »

I stand (sit) corrected. It is the number than denotes region for Hams not the letter. This explains it pretty well; http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?id=amateur&job=call_signs_1

the broadcast k/w divide is quite interesting as well.

http://earlyradiohistory.us/kwtrivia.htm#kwmap

KTGG in Michigan was issued by the FCC in the 1980s (appears someone in the office thought MI was MO or MN. also FCC gave a NY station KCBE in 2008 and a Wisconsin station KSPP in 2015

Offline raspberrypi

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2017, 10:26:30 pm »

I made that using AutoCad along with some gif program, sure spins a lot faster now than when I made it.

.gif files age with time, they lose frames and appear to spin faster.

Offline Chig

• Contributor
« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2017, 12:24:37 am »

And in Australia we have quite strict callsign areas, based on state, as per below with state capital cities in brackets.

VK0 - Australian Territories in/around Antarctica (including Macquarie Island and Heard Island, etc)
VK1 - Australian Capital Territory (Canberra)
VK2 - New South Wales (Sydney)
VK3 - Victoria (Melbourne)
VK4 - Queensland (Brisbane)
VK5 - South Australia (Adelaide)
VK6 - Western Australia (Perth)
VK7 - Tasmania (Hobart)
VK8 - Northern Territory (Darwin)
VK9 - Island/External territories not in Antarctica (Such as Norfolk Island, Christmas Island, etc)

If you're licenced as a VK2, but move to Victoria, and then apply for a new callsign, you'll be given a VK3 call. There's nothing stopping amateurs from licensing themselves in any state they wish, however... But it's $52 a year per license. While legally, i don't think you need to change your call from a VK2 to a Vk3 in the above scenario, it's generally expected that you would get a VK3 callsign if you're going to permanently operate out of VK3.

Makes chasing a 'worked all states' award a lot easier, when you just need to know what their callsign is to know where they are based. And obviously, if you ever hear a VK0 or VK9 on air, jump on it. Rarity after that would probably be VK8 followed by VK7. For special events, Australian amateurs can also use the AX prefix as well, but all other parts of the callsign remain the same - So on Australia day someone could be using AX1WIA, but in reality, it's the same station as VK1WIA, just operating with a special event callsign. The scouts movement also have reserved callsigns available to them with the suffix of SAA-SDZ.

Every now and then you'll find a VI (Victor India) prefix on air too - they're used for special events related to that particular state. I remember using the callsign VI3SAV for a Scouts and Venturers event in Victoria, probably about 18 years ago.

As far as i know, there are no 2x1 callsigns for Amateurs in VK. Pretty sure the 2x1 format is used for scientific licences, eg VK6C.

The following users thanked this post: 5321488

Offline NA5WH

• Contributor
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2017, 04:53:32 am »
NA5WH formerly KC5QYO (~1995 - 2010), even though I am now moved to 4-territory from 5-territory.

Off and on HF (mostly digital modes). Originally started with short-wave listening, then did a lot of VHF/UHF.
Recently upgraded to EXTRA as I was going to try to form a club at work here in Florida to be a counterpoise for the club at work in California for emergency stuff. (Okay... really so I could actually put up an antenna, as here in Miami its basically a no-can-do, everything has to be invisible, but of course my work is on 45 acres and has 400,000 sq ft of roof-top area, sadly next to an airport, so still ahhs to be limited height, but better than nothing).  But then we had a bunch of layoffs, and lost the primary people that I was going to form with left. 

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2017, 05:09:05 am »

You might go to jail quicker if you do tx on 455 MHz vs on an amateur radio band. :)

VE7FM/VE7EZD
VE7FM

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: March 19, 2017, 10:23:45 am »

If you want to do DX-ing, you should probably focus on HF bands, not 455 MHz. UHF is good for relay traffic (whether digital or voice), local "walkie-talkie" style coms or  talking to satellites but as it is mostly line of sight, DX-ing on it is going to be a challenge.

And be really careful about the frequency where you press that TX button. If you do it on a HAM band, you will get yelled at at worst, unless you are continuously causing interference/transmitting. Most will not bother to report you, though.

However, if you stray into one of the "pro" bands - like airband, railways or something similar that are around there too, rest assured that the van with with the antennas will show up in your neighborhood pretty quickly. The consequences are not pleasant.

Also those cheap BaoFengs are not great when it comes to signal quality (splatter), so interference is likely, especially if you hook it up to an amplifier or higher gain antenna.

Just get an entry level HAM license and be done with it - and you will learn about the rules in the process too, making life easier for everyone around you.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 10:26:36 am by janoc »

Offline Chris Wilson

• Super Contributor
  • Race car engineer, dog lover, hoarder.
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2017, 02:50:57 pm »
2E0ILY here in the county of Shropshire, England UK. I am a race car engineer so will be reluctant to lost this call sign if I try and pass the Advanced UK exam... :)

Hobbies are amateur radio, especially on LF, breeding and owning livestock guarding dogs, of which I have ten, and motorsport engineering, especially suspension design.
Best regards,

Chris Wilson.

Offline WA5PSA

« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2017, 06:48:42 pm »
Uh...WA5PSA. Since 1966.

See you in Dayton!

The following users thanked this post: AF6LJ

Offline WA1ICI

• Contributor
    • One Electron
« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2017, 04:55:33 am »
I first got WN1ICI in 1967 (novice call sign) in Connecticut, then upgraded to Tech a year later.  At that time, the Novice license was one year, non-renewable.  I worked 2-meter AM until that mode died. Through college and then a move to Silicon Valley in 1977, I was off the air, but kept renewing the license.  To my surprise, I was not assigned a W6 call sign.  I did some 70cm work while working in Cupertino, but then lapsed.  I'm now mostly retired and living in rural Nevada.  I'm somewhat active on 2 meters and 70 cm, and once the code reqirement was dropped, I've upgraded to Extra Class  :D.

I'm into vintage tube equipment and am slowly setting up an HF station.  With a WA1 call sign, there is no problem on the VHF/UHF bands, but on HF I expect some confusion, with the local W6 and W7 stations thinking they are getting DX.  We will see.  I am somewhat attached to my originally-issued call sign.

- John Atwood, WA1ICI

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2017, 12:00:34 am »
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline OE2WHP

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2017, 10:22:21 am »
I won't post my call here. They are going to find me :scared:

just kidding.... see my nick

Offline GW7MGW

« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2017, 11:51:00 pm »
Good way to say hello, started with VP8XBHZ a special two meter call sign, then got VP8BKM returned to UK and asked for reciprocal and told you must be joking, so took RAE and became GW7MGW, then went travelling again so got VR2ZEP as to what call sign you get with latter shown a list and asked which I wanted.

Now hardly ever used, got some radios some where, but after local RAYNET went that was really the end for me. Son was also licensed at one point also a GW7 call sign but he let it go. As to if he can send in the RAE exam and get it back I don't know, all changed now. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf