Author Topic: QSO western europe <=> California, USA ?  (Read 8669 times)

Offline Theboel

• Frequent Contributor
Re: QSO western europe <=> California, USA ?
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2016, 06:23:50 am »
maybe You already done but may I ask,
G5RV antenna not really an omni directional antenna, maybe this paper can help :
http://www.w5ddl.org/files/Zs6bkw_vs_G5rv_20100221b.pdf

« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 06:27:34 am by Theboel »

Offline hammy

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2016, 02:02:35 pm »
Ah, disabling the AGC definitely made a difference.  I heard Greece, Spain, Italy, and Czech Republic today. I tried to contact them, but nobody heard me, though. Still, progress!

This WebSDR is located in Netherlands: http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/
You can check you signal, if there is any reception at all.
Search for a free frequency, let it run in a browser window and then transmit. You signal should show up ...

Cheers
hammy

Offline djacobowTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • takin' it apart since the 70's
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2016, 06:20:12 pm »
maybe You already done but may I ask,
G5RV antenna not really an omni directional antenna, maybe this paper can help :
http://www.w5ddl.org/files/Zs6bkw_vs_G5rv_20100221b.pdf

It's not really a G5RV jr anymore. It's a somewhat oddly cut dipole fed with ladder line, but it is certainly true that I do not know how it is radiating. My installation is not perfect either. The two ends are coming down at different angles, and is bent over a tree branch and turns slightly. So, really, quiet a mess. It does hear pretty well, though!

Offline Theboel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2016, 01:36:19 am »
It's not really a G5RV jr anymore. It's a somewhat oddly cut dipole fed with ladder line, but it is certainly true that I do not know how it is radiating. My installation is not perfect either. The two ends are coming down at different angles, and is bent over a tree branch and turns slightly. So, really, quiet a mess. It does hear pretty well, though!
[/quote]

try use antenna simulator like MMana, its can help a bit to predict your antenna behavior and help to find a suitable antenna for Your situation.

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2016, 09:12:57 am »
Ah, disabling the AGC definitely made a difference.  I heard Greece, Spain, Italy, and Czech Republic today. I tried to contact them, but nobody heard me, though. Still, progress!
The instructions for WSJT-X are somewhat authoritarian, but the author is right :)

Disable AGC and use the receiver's RF gain control to achieve a good dynamic range. Depending on your location and the amount of noise you receive, you should get an excellent dynamic range following his recommendations.

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2016, 04:18:30 pm »
please note there are a lot of power line adapter are in use who transmitt on some khz up to 30Mhz (legaly) and inter fear CB, Amateur Radio.
Here in my City its very hard to run my CB becouse you hear every sec. that annoying "zap zap zap...." from the Powerline Adapter who People around our Hose are use.  :scared:
Made in Japan, destroyed in Sulz im Wienerwald.

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2016, 02:32:41 pm »
please note there are a lot of power line adapter are in use who transmitt on some khz up to 30Mhz (legaly) and inter fear CB, Amateur Radio.
Here in my City its very hard to run my CB becouse you hear every sec. that annoying "zap zap zap...." from the Powerline Adapter who People around our Hose are use.  :scared:
I know. But digital modes such as JT can get through in amazingly hostile conditions.

I run them using an indoor loop antenna, with S9 noise on 40 m, for example, and I can complete full QSOs with Russia. As far
as I know, the other side has been running around 20 W, same as me.

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2016, 02:39:07 pm »
Your Loop Antenna cant block Signals who are transmitt ohne the same Freq with an strong Signal.
Thats the problem with Powerline the Transmit for example on CB Frequency. (I dont know where also the Transmit.)
Made in Japan, destroyed in Sulz im Wienerwald.

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2016, 03:22:06 pm »
Your Loop Antenna cant block Signals who are transmitt ohne the same Freq with an strong Signal.
Thats the problem with Powerline the Transmit for example on CB Frequency. (I dont know where also the Transmit.)
Of course it can't. But the low signal digital modes can work even with enormous amounts of noise.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf