Author Topic: Radar sensor failure  (Read 1175 times)

Offline dpavidTopic starter

Radar sensor failure
« on: July 19, 2018, 11:03:36 pm »
What might be some reasons why an radar antennae or sensor fails to give out true infomation?

not things that can go wrong with hardware but what aspects of the outside world can interfere with normal operation?

We're building a rover that can use a sensor to pickup its surroundings but want to be sure that it can work in all places.

Thankyou!

Offline johnnygoode1

Re: Radar sensor failure
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 11:46:51 pm »
I just posted a similar question here a few days ago about failure modes of a radar sensor. We had already looked at RF noise, ghost targets, and obscurants on the sensor but I'm sure other modes exist. What about an antenna that sort of radiates in a pattern that can't be reflected by the environment?

Offline TheUnnamedNewbie

• Super Contributor
  • mmwave RFIC/antenna designer
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 04:49:32 am »
Antenna grating lobes can be an interesting thing.
The best part about magic is when it stops being magic and becomes science instead

"There was no road, but the people walked on it, and the road came to be, and the people followed it, for the road took the path of least resistance"

Offline radar_macgyver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 05:11:14 am »
Multipath (also called three-body scatter) - the beam undergoes specular reflection off one target, illuminates a second, then the energy makes the return trip. Causes additional targets to appear at further range from a strong one.

Sidelobe illumination - you pick up a strong target that's not where your antenna's pointed because it falls in the sidelobe of the antenna's pattern

Attenuation - absorption of transmitted energy by the medium or by the object being detected

Anomalous propagation - caused by refractive index changes in the atmosphere causing the beam to bend towards the ground (probably not an issue for small radar systems)

What sensor are you using? That has a huge impact on the kinds of imperfections you can expect.

Offline wmcdonald1

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 11:16:47 pm »
If the installation angle of the radar is imperfect you could get bad readings but I think the doppler effect would take care of that.

Offline johnnygoode1

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 11:47:28 pm »
If it's anything like the one I was looking at it's a small automotive radar sensor with a range of about 200 meters.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf