Author Topic: RF connectors smack down ... AliExpress vs Amphenol  (Read 8799 times)

Offline BravoVTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
RF connectors smack down ... AliExpress vs Amphenol
« on: May 14, 2018, 06:12:43 pm »
N type male to male converter, just bought from AliExpress, 1st glance I didn't notice anything special, until I put both side by side with Amphenol, just look at the outer wall thickness. :palm:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 04:43:01 am by BravoV »

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
  • Older New "New Player" Player Playa'
Re: RF connectors smack down ... AliExpress vs Amphenol
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 06:16:42 pm »
Would the outer wall thickness have a major effect on the RF signal? Or would there just be a mechanical advantage?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 06:20:22 pm »
That’s a great comparison. Cheap is cheap!

I buy amphenol BNC, SMA and SO239’s regularly and they are waaaay better than any of the generic and rebranded shit. No snagging or anything when you use them and they last a lot longer. I’ve actually noticed that cheap BNCs knacker test gear as well.

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 06:20:31 pm »
Would the outer wall thickness have a major effect on the RF signal? Or would there just be a mechanical advantage?

I guess so, but not sure, lets hear from more experienced members.  :-//

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 06:31:04 pm »

I buy amphenol BNC, SMA and SO239’s regularly and they are waaaay better than any of the generic and rebranded shit. No snagging or anything when you use them and they last a lot longer. I’ve actually noticed that cheap BNCs knacker test gear as well.

Agreed, some of my Amphenol BNCs treasure, bought few dozens of them NOS while ago, really good stuffs.  :-+

Offline dmills

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 06:31:23 pm »
Far more importantly compare the pin geometry.

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 06:34:26 pm »
Far more importantly compare the pin geometry.

Yeah, I was wondering about that too.

Also Amphenol pin doesn't need the bling of golden plated look.

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 07:01:47 pm »

Yeaaah. That is nice if yo big daddy pays them for you.  ;D  $4 or more for a single PCB SMA termination won't happen, especially when I need tens of them for prototyping.  :(

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 07:06:42 pm »
$5 here. Worth it.

Offline dmills

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 09:18:41 pm »
One thing to be most careful of with N types is that the 50 ohm and 75 ohm versions are NOT compatible, you will damage the female if you mate a 50 ohm plug into a 75 ohm female, and I think the two connectors shown by the OP may be different impedances (Specifically I think the Ali one may be 75 ohm).

Regards, Dan.

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 11:19:18 pm »
What's the VNA say?

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 11:39:19 pm »
One thing to be most careful of with N types is that the 50 ohm and 75 ohm versions are NOT compatible, you will damage the female if you mate a 50 ohm plug into a 75 ohm female, and I think the two connectors shown by the OP may be different impedances (Specifically I think the Ali one may be 75 ohm).

Regards, Dan.

I'm pretty sure they're both 50Ω from the pin diameter.

Offline xaxaxa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 03:26:07 am »
The TE connectivity sma connectors from mouser are not bad (in terms of mating repeatability and return loss), and more reasonably priced; for non-production use there are reasonable quality ones on taobao (not aliexpress); look for ones that specify gold plating and in the price range of 3cny to 4cny each. I have measured these and up to 3GHz the difference in return loss compared to genuine ones is typically less than 0.1dB (the return loss due to pcb impedance error still dominates). I have also tested the gold plating with acid (the aliexpress ones failed horribly, but the TE and taobao ones held up).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 03:29:24 am by xaxaxa »

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 04:35:07 am »
What's the VNA say?

Don't have VNA.  :-//

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 04:36:11 am »

Regards, Dan.

I'm pretty sure they're both 50Ω from the pin diameter.

Yes, both are 50Ω, I'm aware of 75Ω type as it has much much smaller pin, looks like needle when compared to 50Ω one.

Offline Wirehead

• Regular Contributor
    • Wirehead.be
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 05:57:54 am »

I guess so, but not sure, lets hear from more experienced members.  :-//

It does not. RF in coaxial connectors flows on the outer skin of the central conductor and on the inner surface of the outside shield.
The aliexpress connector could be just-as-good if you don't test it. This thread is pure FUD.  :palm:
"to remain static is to lose ground"

Offline taydin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 06:08:29 am »
Even if the wall thickness doesn't contribute to the signal integrity, the durability of a thicker wall would certainly make a difference when you drop it. Those things are heavy enough that when dropped from a few meters to concrete, the thin walled connector could lose its round shape.

I also suspect the Amphenol part is machined to tighter tolerances. If I had a $50,000 Keysight spectrum analyzer, I would DEFINITELY NOT insert a Chinese connector to it :) Even if the center pin is 0.03mm thicker than rated, it would widen the female inner connector and degrade it.
Real programmers use machine code!

My hobby projects http://mekatronik.org/forum

Offline rfspezi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 06:39:33 am »
Even if the center pin is 0.03mm thicker than rated, it would widen the female inner connector and degrade it.
Oh comeon... you don't really beleave that the inner part of your spectrum analyzers female connector gets permanently widened from a 0.03 mm thicker male pin, don't you? ;D

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 07:48:15 am »
Even if the center pin is 0.03mm thicker than rated, it would widen the female inner connector and degrade it.
Oh comeon... you don't really beleave that the inner part of your spectrum analyzers female connector gets permanently widened from a 0.03 mm thicker male pin, don't you? ;D

Thats surely an exaggeration, but it might not take much. You can imagine that if the blunt ended pin got very close to the end of the 'hole' then a tiny additional diameter would force the fingers outwards.

Offline taydin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 08:51:11 am »

If I had that SA, I would certainly not try to find out :D But in any case, with RF, contact quality makes a big difference. If you go to vendor's websites selling RF cables, you will find "precision" cables that are manufactured to much tighter tolerances, at a much higher price. Surely the buyers of those cables aren't the RF equivalent of "audiophools" :D

Offline Wirehead

• Regular Contributor
    • Wirehead.be
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2018, 09:50:12 am »
That's why you have "connector" savers.. Sacrificial 1:1 adapters.

As to dropping connectors: RF connectors are never made to be abused due to mechanical stress.
I'm still waiting on objective performance data. Not much of a smack down here..  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 10:57:01 am by Wirehead »
"to remain static is to lose ground"

Offline taydin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2018, 11:05:15 am »
That's why you have "connector" savers.. Sacrificial 1:1 adapters.

Ok, so you plug in an el cheapo 1:1 adapter into your 50K SA, which means, if that thing does not meet the tolerance requirements, it will have already damaged the SA's female connector. That kinda sacrificial 1:1 would ONLY make sense if it is a model that meets the precision specs, which means it would be a reputable brand 1:1

As to dropping connectors: RF connectors are never made to be abused due to mechanical stress.
I'm still waiting on objective performance data. Not much of a smack down here..  :popcorn:

That's only in theory. When you are working at a cell tower in the middle of nowhere, and people expect you to get the job done yesterday, you would want a connector that survives minor OOPS'es, and not drive back to headquarters to get a new connector

But hey, you might be Mr Perfect who never OOPS'es, then this won't apply to you. But us mere mortals occasionally do screw up :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 11:13:05 am by taydin »

Offline taydin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2018, 11:16:40 am »
Hopefully somebody with a VNA can compare this Chinese thing with a reputable brand adapter.

I already know first hand that the impedance characteristics of Chinese RF terminators are all over the place throughout their rated frequency rance, so I have reason to suspect that the cheap Chinese adapter will have similar shortcomings, but it would be nice to see it in actual measurement.

Offline StuUK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2018, 11:37:47 am »
mmmm, this thread is starting to sound a lot like audiophoolery...

Offline dmills

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2018, 11:41:56 am »
Ok, so you plug in an el cheapo 1:1 adapter into your 50K SA, which means, if that thing does not meet the tolerance requirements, it will have already damaged the SA's female connector. That kinda sacrificial 1:1 would ONLY make sense if it is a model that meets the precision specs, which means it would be a reputable brand 1:1
Yep, but a reputable brand 1:1 is still VERY MUCH cheaper then sending a VNA back to Keysight/R&S/Copper Mountain to have the connectors replaced, and even a non preciosn one will save the wear on the connector.

Adding a hundred quid or so to the cost of a £50k instrument is hardly a big deal if it means you can avoid weeks of downtime while the thing is being repaired.

Regards, Dan.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf