Author Topic: RF detector/demodulator probe questions.  (Read 4272 times)

Offline xwarpTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
RF detector/demodulator probe questions.
« on: March 15, 2016, 10:54:55 pm »
1. Why so many different designs.
2. Which designs are used for FM. For example, see the following attached images. The "yellow" background images are from Eico. The last is for a Sencore AM/FM signal generator for AM/FM radio alignment.

Offline Fank1

• Regular Contributor
Re: RF detector/demodulator probe questions.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 09:59:02 pm »
There is no huge difference in any of them.
All you are doing is rectifying the RF and filtering it so you get a dc voltage out.
They are not "instruments" just a way to detect RF and get a relative value out.

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 02:41:21 pm »
These probes don't care whether the signal is unmodulated or if it is FM - they'll still read the same since FM doesn't change the RF amplitude.  Depending on the value of the capacitors used to "hold" the RF amplitude, you may be able to view the baseband on AM signals.  I did a video on this:

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

Offline gyropilot

• Contributor
  • AA7US
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 03:07:24 pm »
Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but my question dovetails in...

Can anyone please explain to me when and why an RF demodulator probe would be appropriate to use with a scope?

Now I get why you'd want to use an RF demodulator probe with a DMM, but I'm having trouble understanding the use case for a scope.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 05:35:02 pm by gyropilot »

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 04:07:55 pm »
They're not that useful now as it's a lot easier to lay your hands on much better spec test gear for cheap (Spec An, multi hundred MHz 'scope etc.) but the demodulating probe is used to check the modulating signal and can show you if there's distortion happening in an RF stage, it won't give you an indication of carrier level with a DMM.

Diode peak detectors and demodulating probes are both useful in their own way and can give you very accurate RF measurements if used appropriately

The following users thanked this post: gyropilot

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 05:20:19 pm »
but the demodulating probe is used to check the modulating signal and can show you if there's distortion happening in an RF stage

I agree, but since AM modulation is normally used at lower (HF) frequencies it is equally easy to just feed the signal into the scope directly*

*Of course properly scaled
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 05:57:38 pm »
but the demodulating probe is used to check the modulating signal and can show you if there's distortion happening in an RF stage

I agree, but since AM modulation is normally used at lower (HF) frequencies it is equally easy to just feed the signal into the scope directly*

*Of course properly scaled

Absolutely, but  back in the day where a 5MHz 'scope was a luxury item that cost many months of salary a demod probe was an exceptionally useful addition to the test gear armoury, these days a 200MHz scope can be had second hand for less than a couple of days wage and has removed a lot of the need for such tools, I'd still contend that the probe can be useful but it's far from essential.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf