Author Topic: Small multi-pin shielded connector  (Read 1524 times)

Offline rcbuckTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Small multi-pin shielded connector
« on: January 15, 2018, 07:20:19 pm »
I need to connect 8 wires from a PIC microcontroller board to a LCD display. The connection is about 6 inches long and is in a HF receiver. The control board and LCD are each in enclosures made from copper clad material. Since it is a HF receiver, I am concerned about interference from the display and controller.

My first thought was to remove the inner conductor from some RG-58 and run the wires through the braid. However, that creates a hardwired solution which is not good. I would like to have sockets on both enclosures and have the connection between the two plug in. At the very least one end should be a plug in connection.

A DIN or DB9 plug/socket combination is too large. I need something much smaller. Searching Mouser I don't find anything suitable. The main thing is that the 8 wires need to be shielded. I can make up the shield portion using copper braid. I just need suitable connectors for each end.

Ideas, anyone?

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
Re: Small multi-pin shielded connector
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 10:39:30 pm »
Nano-D from Omnetics, Axon, Ulti-Mate, Cannon?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 02:17:55 am »
That size seems OK. But at $80-$150 each, that won't work.

Offline duak

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 11:56:10 pm »
How about an RJ-45 connector and cable as used in ethernet LANs?   They are 8-pole and are reasonably small.  I believe some plugs can be ordered with a metallic shell for shielding.

One product I worked on used SATA data cables to transfer some fast signals from one board to another as it was smaller and cheaper than twinax.  SATA cables are four signal lines in two twinax pairs plus three grounds tied to the shield. You'd need two cables for eight signals but there might be some crosstalk between the lines in each twinax.  I wonder if there are other miniature cabling systems like that used in computers or other commercial products, sort of an updated and miniaturized version of ribbon cables?  Maybe something like mini-DIN?

Cheers,

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 12:07:19 am »
Just use ribbon cable and throw some copper tape over it?

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 12:15:42 am »
I will second the ribbon cable. Alternate signal and grounds in the ribbon. Use slew limited signals to drive the cable. (series resistors, even small caps to filter the edges off will help)

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 03:36:48 am »
Fake aliexpress Lemo connector ? Pretty decent imo, like this -> HERE

Offline ikrase

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 03:48:49 am »
Likely a bit expensive, chunky, and hard to find, but industrial M12 connector might work. IP67 to boot.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 05:57:28 pm »
I've decided the only thing that is going to work will be a header/socket combination similar to the Molex KK series. Only one end needs to have a connector on it for future maintenance purposes. I will cut a rectangular hole in the microcontroller case to allow 8 pins to clear. I can use a two row (6x2) header and solder the two outside set of pins to the case for mounting purposes.

I will drill a small hole in the LCD case and solder those connections in. I will use the RG-58 shield to route the 8 wires through. The shield will be soldered to the LCD case. I have tested the LCD with 8 inches of twisted pair cable and it works fine. The connection in the receiver will only be about 5 inches long.

At the controller end I can use copper tape to wrap around the socket housing and solder the tape to the shield. The copper tape can then be tack soldered in a couple of places to the PCB box enclosure.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf