Author Topic: Switch RF signal  (Read 1797 times)

Offline atom78Topic starter

Switch RF signal
« on: August 20, 2018, 01:44:02 am »
Hey guys,

I need to switch a 400-690 MHz signal. The signal is received in an antenna and go through the coaxial cable. The idea is switch the signal, turning it on and off (letting it pass or not) as necessary. I´m using a microcontroller, and I think in doing it with an optoacoupler or a transistor as switch. Anyone know some model of this components that can work well at this level of frequency?

Thanks!

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
Re: Switch RF signal
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 02:02:14 am »
Hey guys,

I need to switch a 400-690 MHz signal. The signal is received in an antenna and go through the coaxial cable. The idea is switch the signal, turning it on and off (letting it pass or not) as necessary. I´m using a microcontroller, and I think in doing it with an optoacoupler or a transistor as switch. Anyone know some model of this components that can work well at this level of frequency?

Thanks!
A PIN diode may do a better job.

The following users thanked this post: atom78

Offline xaxaxa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 03:57:00 am »
BGS12PL6 is what I use for general purpose antenna switching; it only needs a 3.3V power and control signal. If you want to do SP1T you need to terminate one of the ports with a 50ohm resistor.

The following users thanked this post: atom78

Offline atom78Topic starter

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 03:32:20 am »
BGS12PL6 is what I use for general purpose antenna switching; it only needs a 3.3V power and control signal. If you want to do SP1T you need to terminate one of the ports with a 50ohm resistor.
I didn´t know this chip, it will be much easier than use a transistor or PIN diode. I will look for it and try to work with, thank you very much!

Offline rf-fil

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 04:55:41 am »
You didn't specify any performance requirements. RF power level? Acceptable loss? Switching time? Power consumption? Isolation in off state?

* PIN diodes --> moderate loss, larger power consumption (depends on RF power level being switched), somewhat unique (hard to get) diodes, large RF power handling, larger overall size, moderate linearity.
* RF CMOS switches --> abundant (Digikey or any other supplier), low loss, low cost, various packages, nearly zero power consumption, power handling up to about 5W, RX only (<10dBm) chips are very cheap, excellent linearity.
* Relays --> range of RF power handling up to huge powers, larger size, can be very expensive for the very high power coaxial relays, but only a few bucks for <1GHz moderate power level SMD relays, excellent linearity.

Of the above 3, PIN diodes require the most RF design knowledge to do properly. Not the best choice unless you have to.

Using NPN transistors or optocouplers for RF switching at the frequency you specified is nonsense.

Offline hwalker

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 11:34:43 pm »
An alternate solution is to consider searching on eBay for coaxial rf switches.  I usually mount how ever many I need in a "BUD" box, with the control lines connected to bannana plugs that are in turn connected to microcontroller ports.  Its a flexible and re-usable setup. The switches can usually be had second hand from 10 - 20 dollars depending on upper frequency range.

-Herb

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 12:10:30 pm »
Hi,

a PIN diode switch is elegant. I made one myself with discrete diodes, like here:

https://electronicprojectsforfun.wordpress.com/rf-module-gallery/rf-switches/an-rf-pin-diode-switch/

but you could use single chip solutions with better results nowadays.

If you have very stringent requirements, you probably have to go to coaxial mechanical switches. On eBay you could some for 10-20€ used. They outperform all aother types of electronic switches

Offline salbayeng

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 09:19:52 am »
minicircuits make a  range of PIN switch modules  https://ww3.minicircuits.com/WebStore/Switches.html

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf