Author Topic: Telemetry platform (for home, HA) ?  (Read 1556 times)

Offline onesixrightTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Telemetry platform (for home, HA) ?
« on: July 06, 2018, 09:28:54 am »
Hi All,

I'm in the early steps of designing some platform for ~ 70-100 sensors that needs to be wireless connected. Each board will have 1-3 sensors (SPI / I2C), 90% indoor (sensor), 10% outdoor (sensors). Of which a few need long range (100-1000 meters). Most sensors will be sending the data based on a simple interval (will be in the minute range 1-5). A few others will be IRQ driven.

The data will be collected by a RPI (not truly important since this can easily upscaled if needed).

I was thinking to designing a simple platform consisting of a MCU, a RF transceiver and power supply. I for sure don't want to use something like Arduino's, that seems to be overkill.

At this point im leaning towards a PIC16 + (MRF89XAT-I/MQ or RN2483-I/RM095). The latter one being a LORA transceiver.

I have a few concerns.

1. Probably there is already a existing platform / MCU that contains these basics (MCU + RF)?
2. How to deal with collisions: push vs pull
   a. let the RPI be a master and read (pull) the data out of each sensor).
   b. just have every sensor send it data on out on intervals (collisions /malformed packages?)
3. Mesh network support: zigbee, miwi (microchip) any other  (would solve 2b?) ?
4. What would be a smart way to deal with the batteries. 30-50 boards, with batteries sounds like a "nightmare".

Any other advice much appreciated!

Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 10:41:49 am by onesixright »

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
Re: Telemetry platform (for home, HA) ?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 09:34:48 am »
Of which a few need long range (100-1000 meters).
the problem is which freq do you want use for?  :scared:
433?, 868? If you want use one of them please keep in mind the duty circle (who is 10% when I remember right).
Or 2,4Ghz?
Made in Japan, destroyed in Sulz im Wienerwald.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 09:43:03 am »
Of which a few need long range (100-1000 meters).
the problem is which freq do you want use for?  :scared:
433?, 868? If you want use one of them please keep in mind the duty circle (who is 10% when I remember right).
Or 2,4Ghz?

For long range I was planning to go with a LORA TRANSCEIVER (868 Mhz). Its very little data.

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 09:48:34 am »
500m - 1km outdoor?
When I remember right you can use 500mW Power and you need to use an Duty Circle.  :phew:
Is that for an Industrial Application or for different customer?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 09:56:37 am »
500m - 1km outdoor?
When I remember right you can use 500mW Power and you need to use an Duty Circle.  :phew:

Its just for myself.

My mailbox is 1000 meters away (as the crow flies, slightly downhill ~ 75 meters). I wanna put a accelerometer in and send a signal if it gets opened (mailman)  :)

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 11:14:18 am »
To me that sounds like a job for some JeeNodes: https://www.digitalsmarties.net/products/jeenode, which are Arduino-compatible Atmel microcontroller boards with an 868MHz radio. Designed (in the Netherlands!) for just such a job. I've never used them myself, but hear good things about them.

The following users thanked this post: onesixright

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 11:52:25 am »
500m - 1km outdoor?

Its just for myself.

My mailbox is 1000 meters away (as the crow flies, slightly downhill ~ 75 meters). I wanna put a accelerometer in and send a signal if it gets opened (mailman)  :)
Put some Pi there and use an Fiberglas Cable for Isolation.  :-+

Offline iak

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 10:15:45 am »
Accelerometer, I think it might be not efficient, and you would  need some data processing to get the data to really represent something.
Probably a magnetic switch would do a better job here !

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 10:35:12 am »
Accelerometer, I think it might be not efficient, and you would  need some data processing to get the data to really represent something.
Probably a magnetic switch would do a better job here !

Thanks, good point.

For those curious, its a Czech mailbox.

The thing is, its not "my" mailbox, its property of the post. So I don't want to drill stuff etc. There are basically 4 mailboxes next to each other (see pic). And when they insert the post the whole front opens downwards (over the horizontal axes). Well thats what they told me, since there are no numbers on it. Only the mail(wo)men can see which one is which (house)number (once opened).

I would expect that I can simple trigger on that motion (magnetically (eeks)). Problem is that although it can easily render some false postives (i.e. mailbox opened but mail is not for me). Nevertheless, much better then going up and down daily for nothing. Not even sure if the range, and the fact its inside a metalbox would give me a good range signal.

Thinking of it, a bit of exercise wouldn't hurt  :-DD

Maybe I should "bride" the post, ask them if they can bring it in exchange for some coffee, most of its now-a-days is digital.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf