Author Topic: The Art of [RF] Electronics  (Read 14091 times)

Offline garbouiTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
The Art of [RF] Electronics
« on: August 19, 2016, 10:21:34 pm »
Is there an RF focused equivalent to The Art of Electronics?

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
Re: The Art of [RF] Electronics
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 08:26:18 am »
This one is very instructive for analog RF design, doesn't cover microwaves or fancy rf modules though

https://www.amazon.com/Circuit-Design-Second-Christopher-Bowick/dp/0750685182

The following users thanked this post: Kelbit

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 12:25:48 pm »
IMHO the ARRL handbook is pretty useless for RF design. It is more for radio amateurs to setup antenna's and such. For real RF design work you need a book which goes deeper into the theory.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: AF6LJ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 03:03:47 pm »
This one is very instructive for analog RF design, doesn't cover microwaves or fancy rf modules though

This looks sweet, gonna order it. (more suggestions still welcome.

IMHO the ARRL handbook is pretty useless for RF design. It is more for radio amateurs to setup antenna's and such. For real RF design work you need a book which goes deeper into the theory.

That was my suspicion with the AARL books. My work generally incorporates 433-2.4GHz. As all my knowledge with working with and designing RF into products is experiential I want the book to fill in all the gaps that I have missed from not being formally trained in RF.

The following users thanked this post: SNGLinks

Offline Georgi

• Contributor
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 05:50:34 pm by Georgi »

Offline 4CX35000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 07:20:22 pm »

You will find that you need to use multiple books as the subject can be vast to learn depending on the area you want to work in. Older books tend to concentrate on valve technology such as Triodes, Tetrodes and Klystrons, while modern books concentrate on transistor technology (Bipolar and FET technology).

Chris Bowick book has already been mentioned, but below is my list of useful books and introductory books.

Experimental Methods in RF Design by Hayward, Campbell and Larkin.
RF Design Guide by Vizmuller.
Complete Wireless Design by Sayre
The Electronics of Radio by Rutledge
RF Design Basics by Fielding ZS5JF

More advanced books
High Speed Digital Design by Johnson and Graham
High Speed Signal Propagation

My tip is to get familiar with LCR networks using polar and rectangular form and biasing transistors at DC levels. Chris Bowick book is a good place to start but it does have the odd gap, but he has released a update version of his book, so those gaps may have been filled or edited out. My book is a brown cover which must be 20 year old now. Don't worry too much about the Smith Chart, Bowick book discusses the chart in reasonable detail.

Regards

Offline kg4arn

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 07:35:38 pm »
A book that I rarely see mentioned but is one of my favorites (and I have most all the ones mentioned above) is:

Radio Receiver Design by Kevin McClaning and Tom Vito. 

It's a theory book but very readable.  I literally could not put it down.

Another book which is out of print:

Introduction to Radio Frequency Design by Wes Hayward

Anything Hayward has written is instructive and worth reading.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 05:03:02 pm »

You will find that you need to use multiple books as the subject can be vast to learn depending on the area you want to work in....

To narrow it down more. I am not planning on building my own discreet Tx/Rx but more of getting the knowledge of being able to integrate at the chip level (RFIC->PA->filters-->antenna matching), and not boff it up to badly on the first go around.I am already beginning to get some comfort with antenna matching but as it is with learning anything, the more you begin to know the more you realize you dont know.  I have RF test and measurement equipment at my disposal so I am fortunate to not be limited here.

Offline LaserSteve

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 09:20:50 pm »
I'll second Haywards's book and say get some pdfs of various editions of the RSGB microwave and UHF\VHF Handbooks. OLDER editions of the two volume Motorola RF transistor handbooks have well written  app notes on matching and biasing transistors, including the Smith Chart techniques.

That, and download  HP Appcad from the Woodshot site.

Steve
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 09:27:05 pm by LaserSteve »
"What the devil kind of Engineer are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse?"

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 10:43:31 pm »

It is fairly useless in this age and day...
To top it off; in this day and age most of the "Art" is gone...
Sue AF6LJ

Offline jopie

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 06:28:05 am »
I came across "Secrets of RF circuit design" by Joseph J. Carr.

It starts out with a description of RF components and already in chapter 5 you will build your own receiver with a NE602 (ugh).

in this day and age most of the "Art" is gone...

I agree... :sad:

Regards,
Joop PG4I

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 12:20:52 pm »
While I'm nowhere near expert level, I have a few books on the shelf, the older RSGB books are useful as they're discrete component focussed but my two favourites are (as mentioned by others)

Experimental Methods in RF Design by Wes Hayward

and

Secrets of RF Circuit design by Joe Carr

Joe Carr had a bit of a thing about the NE602 chip, he seemed to regard them as the 555 of the RF world and who am I to argue.

While his choice of that chip might be derided by many, the basics still apply.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 01:02:29 pm »

Another vote for this one. It's a really good balance between practical and theoretical knowledge. I think there are pdfs of it knocking about. There's a really good section on Smith Charts too if that's what floats your boat.

Too many books in this domain are academics demonstrating their maths chops with little if any real demonstrated practical application. (This is not just in RF, it's the result of a continual push to get things published so they climb the greasy pole of academia.)

Not altogether sure about ham books, it's a bit of a crap shoot: I've many dozens of them collected over the years, but they tend to be recipe based with little derivation. No harm in that, but many of the projects are simply not reproducible, and you only find that out after the event. They have their place, but I'd be wary of them.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 02:01:11 pm by Howardlong »

Offline bicc1306

• Contributor
    • BICC
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 07:05:24 am »
Here is a List of books which can really help you.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/similar/556821-the-art-of-electronics

Offline MagicSmoker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 11:29:35 am »
Another vote here for Bowick's book, and I also recommend, "Radio Frequency Transistors," by Dye, Granberg and Leighton.

Hmm... just checked pricing on Amazon - it's a bit steep, all things considered. If you have to just get one book then get Bowick's.

Offline LaserSteve

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 02:54:46 pm »
Abebooks.com is wonderful for obtaining good RF and Electronics books cheap. Lets you feel good about learning while keeping good stuff out of the landfill. I've picked up a few "priceless gems" for next to nothing. A lot of the basics and technical history has never made it onto the Web.  Knowing about old tech makes it much easier to make new tech.

"bowick rf" as a keyword term brings up both the old editions and a new updated book covering modern concepts  at Abebooks.

Steve
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 03:04:17 pm by LaserSteve »
"What the devil kind of Engineer are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse?"

Offline Kelbit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2016, 08:52:41 pm »

Adding another vote for Bowick. Great book, covers the fundamentals in a really accessible way. Good balance between theory and practice.

Offline kazam

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2016, 09:22:19 am »
Pozar - Microwave Engineering

Dense stuff but if you need the theory it's all in there.

The problem with RF is that you can't really simplify too much. It is what it is.

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2016, 01:38:32 am »
The grandaddy of them all:

MIT Rad Lab

https://www.jlab.org/ir/MITSeries.html
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2016, 02:13:12 am »
The ARRL Handbook is a helluva lot more useful and relevant than people are giving it credit for here.

Also suggest checking out Lee's Planar Microwave Engineering before jumping all the way into Pozar.  Bowick is good but Lee is more comprehensive.

The WWII-era Rad Lab volumes are of great historical interest but not very useful for newcomers.

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2016, 10:26:29 pm »
Yes, when I was a student, I found the ARRL handbook to be a fabulous resource when looking for 'real' circuits to study.

It sometimes lacked a bit of theory for some of the circuits but they were proven circuits and could be built and/or simulated and studied. Also there were LOTs of circuits like this in the book. It was a long time ago but there weren't that many books that could match it in this respect.

Try buying a (cheap) used copy from each decade because I think stuff gets omitted after a while. I haven't seen a modern ARRL handbook though. The last one I read was published in 2007. The first one was a 1981 (but it might have been 1982 or 1983, I can't remember) copy and it eventually fell apart because I read it so often when I was a student. I still have the 1989 copy in hardback and this is still in one piece. The older copy was softback and ended up falling apart into several pieces with loose pages falling out all the time.

I also had an old electronics/comms design book written by Doug Demaw and this suffered a similar fate. I read it so much it fell apart. I think this is a compliment to the usefulness of these old books :)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:34:42 pm by G0HZU »

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2016, 10:44:03 pm »
I will also recommend reading Bowick. I still have my old 'home' copy here but my works copy eventually got borrowed/lost. It's a classic reference book for all RF designers but you have to be careful of the various errors in the book. I did once keep a list of the errors many years ago and sadly, some of them are still in the second edition.

'Introduction to RF Design' by Hayward is another useful book that I will also recommend and so is the 'RF Design Guide' book by Peter Vizmuller. But these books are expensive. Vizmuller is a great 'shortform reference' book to have but I think it is overpriced. I think our works copy was very expensive indeed. I bought my copy of Hayward about 20 years ago on a promotion from the RSGB where they sold it for a fraction of the normal price. I think you can buy used copies of Hayward quite cheaply nowadays.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:46:45 pm by G0HZU »

Offline DenzilPenberthy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2016, 09:53:05 am »
Pozar was the course textbook when I did RF stuff at Uni but the Bowick book is the one I bought and have actually used a lot since doing it for a living.

:-+

Offline setq

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2016, 10:10:31 am »
There's a literal ton of useful stuff in the Tektronix Concepts series on Spectrum Analyzers as well: http://w140.com/tekwiki/images/5/53/062-1055-00.pdf

This references the MIT books Alex Eisenhut linked to above.

Even their vertical amp text has some good stuff regarding high frequency amplifiers, compensation and linearity http://w140.com/tekwiki/images/f/fd/062-1145-00.pdf

I have a copy of EMRFD and I don't rate it. Perhaps I was spoiled with the old Heath training manuals many years ago (they are really good), but I prefer some more direction and structure to the information provided. Plus there's too much hidden magic in it and the engineering isn't particularly rigorous.

The Bowood text looks decent. I'll grab a copy of that when the time comes.

To be honest, the lack of a decent book on the subject (and my refusal to foot the cash for a canned rig and the fact I'm unsociable ;)) is probably why I'm not a ham :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 10:14:12 am by setq »

The following users thanked this post: PartialDischarge

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2016, 04:34:37 pm »
Compensation networks hmmm  :clap:, a topic I was just looking information on

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf