Author Topic: Trimmer tool for adjusting skeleton pre-set potentiometers  (Read 1606 times)

Offline I try hardTopic starter

Trimmer tool for adjusting skeleton pre-set potentiometers
« on: February 10, 2018, 08:57:14 pm »
I'm currently converting a 30 year old 2 meter transciever (Yaesu FT480) to allow it to operate with UK repeaters. One necessary step is to reduce the FM deviation from the original plus/minus 5kHz to plus/minus 2.5 KHz. I'm quite comfortable with the procedure and have the necessary mod/dev meter and know clearly the trimpots and location for the adjustment. However, with this radio the trimpots have a peculiar central circular hole about 1.2mm diameter with no hex flats or screwdriver slot to allow adjustment. Has anyone come across this type before or could suggest a method of gripping the skelton wiper to enable it to be turned? Many thanks in advance...

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
Re: Trimmer tool for adjusting skeleton pre-set potentiometers
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 10:04:08 pm »
A picture would really help.
It is probably a Japanese manufacturer (Murata, TDK etc.) so sometimes you can back-track the alignment tool, if it is a specialty one.

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 11:10:46 am »
Thanks very much for that floobydust. It's a bit tricky for me to get a picture as there is limited scope for raising the radio casing panel due to a closely tethered wiring harness linked to the speaker and other circuitry on the inside of the panel. Obviously I will have to remove this to carry out the adjustment though so I will try. Its almost as if the accessible side of the pot is the rear face and there might be a screwdriver slot on the reverse side - but this is impossible to access without serious dismantling. Point noted about the probable source of the pot. I'll take a look on google.

Kind regards

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 12:34:00 pm »
Press a piece of plasticine into one to take an impression, or use a dental mirror.

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 03:45:42 pm »
Thanks Ian.M. I took a photo of a similar pot - easier to get at. I think there may be some sort of screwdriver slot after all...

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 05:34:56 pm »
If that's got a protruding lug bent up on either side of the rotor center, then you need a piece of dowel with the end slotted to fit over the lugs, and a pin in the end of it to fit in the center hole so it doesn't slip sideways.

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 10:57:59 am »
OK Ian.M. Well it looks as though I could get a well fitting screwdriver blade in. It has to be a snug fit into the lugs so I may have to get the grindstone out. Point noted about the centre pin - I'll try to contrive something.

Thanks again.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 07:37:39 pm »
I just use my fingers for these. ;D

(waiting for rants) >:D
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline sidspop

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 01:09:57 pm »
Tey can usually be done by carefully using an ordinary straight trimmer at the side of the centre bit, and parallel to it.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf