Author Topic: Anritsu and Advantest spectrum analyzer  (Read 2596 times)

Offline AakushtiTopic starter

Anritsu and Advantest spectrum analyzer
« on: April 23, 2017, 07:34:34 am »
Hello,
        Is there a reason why Anritsu and Advantest spectrum analyzer with range of few Khz to 25 or 32 Ghz cost so less when compared to spectrum analyzers of other make ? I'm an undergrad student who is interested in antennas and RF in general and I have put together about 2 grand USD for this investment . The spectrum analyzers are used and seem quite old but for some reason they cost extremely less as opposed to used ones from other big names .

Thanking You
Regards
Aakushti

Offline douardda

• Regular Contributor
Re: Anritsu and Advantest spectrum analyzer
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 08:16:59 am »
One reason is the total lack of service manual and schematics making them very hard to repair or calibrate. I have an Advantest R3465 and I'm pretty pleased with it so far (still learning how to properly use it) but I got lucky it works fine and seem still reasonably accurate.

David
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 04:18:56 pm by douardda »

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
Re: Anritsu and Advantest spectrum analyzer
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 11:55:56 pm »
Also, HP/Agilent/Keysight and Rhode & Schwarz, probably the biggest competitors' brand names command pretty decent price premiums across the market, so it stands to reason other brands making similar products would end up cheaper.

I think part, at least on the Anritsu side, is that they seem to emphasize portable units and units designed for antenna testing and requiring an option for regular spectrum analyzer functionality - a lot of people think going into their shopping that they're after a benchtop instrument, and there aren't nearly as many models or as much availability.

I've got a portable Anritsu MS2721B, and while the sweep speed is a bit slower than many benchtop units, I quite like it, the level of functionality and noise floor are impressive for the price I paid.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf