Author Topic: Video review of RigExpert AA-55 ZOOM Antenna and Cable Analyzer  (Read 2509 times)

Offline w2aewTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
Covers up to 55MHz. Features include Smith chart, SWR/RL sweeps, Complex Impedance, single/multi SWR, cable measurements including stub tuning, velocity factor, length, loss and impedance.

http://youtu.be/Q2HDuv84mkw

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, kj7e

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
  • Older New "New Player" Player Playa'
Re: Video review of RigExpert AA-55 ZOOM Antenna and Cable Analyzer
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 09:05:47 pm »
w2aew:

Thanks as always for your videos. You do a great job.

That unit is pretty impressive in terms of its comprehensive features and its user friendliness. The only thing I saw in your review that I disliked is those clicky buttons! Horrible sound, and I bet they don't feel that nice either.

I am not in the market for such a thing (I don't do any HAM stuff, yet) but I would ask to add some details of the spectrum of the output used for testing. It would be ideal if it can be put in a zero span mode. In other words, as Shahriar @ TSP often wonders: can it be used as a synthesizer? (for people that might be interested, or if you are sharing the review on a ham forum).

Thanks again!

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 10:46:56 pm »
I agree on the buttons, however, the membrane buttons hold an advantage for field work.  I could see this being put in a shirt or pants pocket or even a tool bag (tower work) during use where soft buttons may be accidentally pressed.  I had Rig Expert AA-54 a few years ago, wonderful tool.

• Super Contributor
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 04:07:06 am »
w2aew:

Thanks as always for your videos. You do a great job.

That unit is pretty impressive in terms of its comprehensive features and its user friendliness. The only thing I saw in your review that I disliked is those clicky buttons! Horrible sound, and I bet they don't feel that nice either.

I am not in the market for such a thing (I don't do any HAM stuff, yet) but I would ask to add some details of the spectrum of the output used for testing. It would be ideal if it can be put in a zero span mode. In other words, as Shahriar @ TSP often wonders: can it be used as a synthesizer? (for people that might be interested, or if you are sharing the review on a ham forum).

Thanks again!

I agree.  In general, I am not a fan of membrane keypads, but it does make sense on an instrument of this type (rugged, and it dirt and basically moisture proof).

The output is basically a squarewave, so it does have "odd" harmonic content.  The analyzer filters the harmonics on the receive side. However, this would limit it's usefulness as a general RF source.  I have also found that even in "zero span" operation, such as single-frequency SWR measurements, the output is not continuous.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 04:08:50 am by w2aew »
FAE for Tektronix

Offline Beamin

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 10:09:57 am »
An excellent video as always. I'm always amazed how you do that in one take without tripping over your words.
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

• Super Contributor
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 12:24:08 pm »
An excellent video as always. I'm always amazed how you do that in one take without tripping over your words.

Don’t be amazed, it is not one take!  This video is composed of about 30-35 clips all stitched together. I shoot each clip, sometimes several times, until I get one that I like, then shoot the next...  Then I edit them together into one video.
FAE for Tektronix

Offline bistopepmol

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 07:35:39 am »
 :-+
I decided to go with the 230 zoom and its brilliant, thank you for your video as it made my mind up about choosing RigExpert over MFJ for an antenna analyser.

building antenna's now is great fun and so easy and I can now see what other frequencies there also resonant on, I know I'm only scratching the surface with what this can do but I'm sure with time I will use it more.

thanx again
 :-+

What ever you do, don't let the magic smoke out !!

Offline mojoe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 05:28:54 am »
I have a RigExpert AA-600. Pricey, but I wanted continuous HF-UHF coverage. I don't know of any others that do that. Nice piece of gear, though.

Offline Beamin

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 10:20:31 am »
I still want to buy one of those MFJ analyzers but the price new is really high and I saw this kb9rlw /kevin loughin youtube video where he has one with a used $15 price tag on it. That's cheaper then then the Walmart CB SWR meter! I wasn't expecting to see a new one for $225+ whenused was that cheap, but he could have bought it at a yard sale off someone who didn't care or didn't know what it was.
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf