Author Topic: Video: Visualizing the operation/function of an antenna tuner...  (Read 2005 times)

Offline w2aewTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
My latest video shows how the Smith chart on a VNA can be used to visually see the operation & function of a typical transmatch (antenna tuner):

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Kalvin, albert22, xtoffer, Zebryk

Offline MattSR

• Regular Contributor
Re: Video: Visualizing the operation/function of an antenna tuner...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 09:02:48 pm »
Yes please to a further video explaining the Smith chart in more detail (along with transmission lines of course)

Cheers,
Matt

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 12:16:54 am »
The Smith Chart video will be relatively short, they are fairly simple and very handy.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline w2aewTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 02:20:00 am »
The Smith Chart video will be relatively short, they are fairly simple and very handy.

Hmmm - well, if I want to explain what each of the 7 scales of the chart are, plus the 10 or 11 radially scaled axis - that would be a decent length video itself.  Then, explaining how to plot complex values, how they "move" with frequency or added transmission lines - another decent length video.  Of course, then we should talk about impedance matching, using lumped elements and stubs - that's a few more videos...  I've been trying to mentally parse the list of topics to start formulating my videos...
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

Offline xtoffer

• Contributor
  • A CS turned electronic hobbyist.
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 08:04:30 pm »

Hmmm - well, if I want to explain what each of the 7 scales of the chart are, plus the 10 or 11 radially scaled axis - that would be a decent length video itself.  Then, explaining how to plot complex values, how they "move" with frequency or added transmission lines - another decent length video.  Of course, then we should talk about impedance matching, using lumped elements and stubs - that's a few more videos...  I've been trying to mentally parse the list of topics to start formulating my videos...

This sounds like a very good plan :D

I have recently gotten into the RF side of things and I can't stress enough how welcome this would be. I'm not usually very verbal but I like your take on things. Recently watched the reflected pulse coax one.  :-+

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 02:33:55 pm »

I forgot about all that, being an RF tech I tend to take some things for granted. :)
Sue AF6LJ

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf