Author Topic: Low frequency RF to HF upconverter with an NE612? What transformer?  (Read 1673 times)

Offline cdevTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
Hello,

I want to make a simple upconverter thats optimized for the bottom 550 KHz of signals  (converting them to something higher.)

Ive seen NE612 used in a DCF77 receiver so I am optimistic.

I have a large ferrite rod coming on order and so I plan to make an upconverter that allows the balanced input on the Ne612 to be used.

With the option to use either the loop or an unbalanced antenna.

Does this sound like a good plan?

I have an older upconverter which I'm going to reuse in part. I'm a little worried about ESD on the inputs so I want to use a transformer to galvanically isolate the input. Is that enough?

I think I am going to use either an Arnold molybendenum iron powder core I have or #2 material. The transformer is the part that I wish that I had a better level of knowledge on.

I want a tunable input stage with high selectivity.

Does this sound like a good plan?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 02:49:07 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline vk3yedotcom

• Frequent Contributor
    • vk3ye dot com (radio articles and projects)
Re: Low frequency RF to HF upconverter with an NE612? What transformer?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 08:19:00 pm »
Yes, the concept is sound.

Here's one I built many years ago. It used an external antenna.  http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/projects/projlfco.htm

Later on I built one with a large ferrite rod.  This worked fine as a receiving antenna and allowed reception of beacons 100s of km away.

NEW! Ham Radio Get Started: Your success in amateur radio. One of 8 ebooks available on amateur radio topics. Details at  https://books.vk3ye.com

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf