Author Topic: What power supply do you use to power your rig?  (Read 14593 times)

Offline K2CK

Re: What power supply do you use to power your rig?
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2016, 05:37:18 pm »
The Astron's are my go to power supply. The linear models are heavy and built like a brick outhouse.  Plus they are straight forward to repair.   They are a dime a dozen at most hamfests. 

Good luck,

Scott

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2016, 12:39:51 am »
The Astron's are my go to power supply.  The linear models are heavy and built like a brick outhouse.  Plus they are straight forward to repair.  They are a dime a dozen at most hamfests.

I like that they are documented albeit poorly and maintainable.

Big linear power supplies are simple enough that I am surprised there are no slightly less expensive "Heath" type kits for them but I guess there is not enough demand to support that kind of market anymore.

Offline The_Penguin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2016, 12:16:25 am »
Astron VS-35M here. Have had it since '89 or so.

Offline JStevensAB9JS

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2017, 03:44:33 pm »
I am using an MFJ-4235MV switching supply for my Alinco DX-SR8 100 watt h.f. radio.

John Stevens AB9JS

Offline FlyingHacker

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2017, 04:10:44 pm »
This site has great info on the Astrons, including schematics:

http://www.repeater-builder.com/astron/astron-index.html
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 07:43:53 pm by FlyingHacker »

Offline tkuhmone

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2017, 06:26:07 pm »
I have one HP server modular power supply - to be modified for ham radio power use. Few resistors at least needed, to get power sulply starting. It is SMPS type, so I am not yet sure if it generates some noise to HF bands (or any other). If there is too much noise, I will look at other power supplies...

Also the output voltage is by default 12V. Need to check if it has a small adjustment - so I could increase voltage a bit up towards 13.8V DC. Current output on that supply is around 30...35 amps.
Timo, OH7HMS

Offline deephavenTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Civilization is just one big bootstrap
    • Deephaven Ltd
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2017, 05:47:32 pm »
Well, I went ahead and got hold of a Mega Watt psu - that's the make, not the power rating!

It powers my IC-7300 rig nicely and, even though it's an SMPS, there is no sign of any interference on any of the bands. It's light and compact and does have a fan, but that's not too loud.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2017, 08:53:01 pm »
Samlex 1223 (no meters) or 1235 (has meters).  Delivers to specifications, no EMI issues. Only hassle is the weird connectors rather than real post connector but there's an Anderson Power Pole hack that works nicely and fixes that.
specialization is for insects.

Offline tkuhmone

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2017, 09:37:15 pm »
Samlex 1223 (no meters) or 1235 (has meters).  Delivers to specifications, no EMI issues. Only hassle is the weird connectors rather than real post connector but there's an Anderson Power Pole hack that works nicely and fixes that.
My previous company ham radio club had a one "field day setup" that could be taken into lending. It had Samlex power supply, powering IC-706 rig. I am not 100% sure of the model anymore - since I do not have access to setup anymore. It most propably was 1223 model (at least google image search match to supply). That model what was included in the setup, was a really bad example how many RF-spikes were generated. At least in 80m band, there was typically seen many spikes in the spectrum, typically 30...50kHz between each other. When same rig was switched to 12V battery use, spikes disappeared.

I quess it might have been multiples (?) of a switching frequency of not properly filtered SMPS were radiated to antenna (ie windom). In the time these was modifications instructions available for that supply - since that unit was not my own, those modifications were not done...

EDIT: link to Samlex-1223 mods below. I have not used new models of Samlex 1223 - cannot be sure if the issue been already corrected
http://oz1db.dk/samlex/start_eng.html
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 09:47:38 pm by tkuhmone »
Timo, OH7HMS

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2017, 04:12:34 am »
I have schematics for the newer models which have bypass capacitor installed. Using it with two HF rigs, no emi to speak of. YMMV, i imagine...
specialization is for insects.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2017, 03:37:55 am »
I have schematics for the newer models which have bypass capacitor installed. Using it with two HF rigs, no emi to speak of. YMMV, i imagine...

I have one that I repaired back in December, works great I also don't like the connecting scheme for the DC...
Sue AF6LJ

Online jadew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2017, 04:43:59 am »
I have a Hoxin TD-14SS30. I haven't noticed any noise.

It was the cheapest option available to me when I bought it, but so far it seems decent, haven't opened it up tho.

Offline Chig

• Contributor
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2017, 12:28:45 pm »
I have:

Manson ~3-15v 40amp switcher, which currently just runs some LED lighting outside.
Powerwerx SS-30DV, which definitely has RF hash on it (i hope to resolve this, as it's a good compact supply otherwise), but is just manageable and runs my FT-991
Powerwerx SPS-30DM, which also has RF hash on it, and again, hope to resolve, as it's a decent variable.

Not powering any rigs currently is a small lab supply, a Trio PR653, but also needs some work for reliability (has a sticky relay i think).

Plan at this stage is to build a 25-30 amp linear, but want it to be as safe, reliable and well designed as possible... Watch this space?

Offline brobers

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2017, 06:38:14 am »
I use Astron 25A supply as my main supply for my day-to-day radios. Several years ago I ran a packet BBS on HF and multiple VHF radios plus TNCs. With the exception on the computer I ran this setup off a 12V deep cell battery and had a battery charger with a deep cell mode hooked to the battery. How I knew it was time to change the battery out was to listen to my VHF radio transmit every once and a while and if you could hear the AC hum you knew it was time for a new battery. Batteries lasted around 3 years or so. Not the best way to do it but it worked.

Elf

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2017, 06:52:49 am »
Another vote for the Astron linear supplies (in any size). Built like bricks, they run forever.

Also great customer service. I visited their Irvine, CA location once for a free repair to a supply that was DOA. Very nice people, and schematics are always included.

Offline sgub

« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2017, 06:58:00 am »
I use Yaesu FP-1030A (13.8V 25A) linear PSU for my IC-7000 HF radio. It's essentially a re-branded Diamond GSS-3000 (13.8V 30A) , with over current limited to 25A instead of 30A.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf