Author Topic: What's up with the price of morse keys?  (Read 15308 times)

Offline apellyTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Probe
What's up with the price of morse keys?
« on: January 24, 2016, 11:11:16 pm »
I've been looking around and there's SFA available on the cheap.

Now, I realise these are slow moving items, so new ones have a super-margin, but cw operators are a dying breed. Literally. Where is all their used gear going? Who the hell is driving up the price?

Personally, I'd like an antique with some history. Because that's just cool. But where are they? Are spouses and children throwing them away because it's just a useless old switch?

Maybe I just haven't been searching the 'bay for long enough.

Can't do the morse yet, only up to 13 Koch chars, but I intend to reward myself with a nice key.

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
Re: What's up with the price of morse keys?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 11:29:15 pm »
Search ebay for "LLaves Telegraficas Artesanas"   ;)  Paddle not a key... but maybe you want a paddle?

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 12:01:23 am »
Ha! Even that's not expensive. Seems about middle of the road on price. But I'm really after a key to start with anyway. Tradition.

Offline hammy

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 12:09:15 am »
The are old style morse keys from Kent:
http://www.kent-engineers.com/

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 12:20:14 am »
I found the Kent website while I was looking earlier.

Like all websites HAM it's straight out of 1998. I wasn't even sure they were still in business. Let alone have stock.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 12:23:27 am »
Morse code keys are out there - not too expensive at the entry level used or new but if you really want a vintage one in nice condition that will probably cost more.  I'm on a similar path - holding out until I can prove I can actually key and decode.

In case you haven't already checked on the Apple store (in case you have an iPhone or iPad) there are some very nice free Morse Code training apps.

Tons of videos on you tube but this is one has good discussion of keys vs paddles.

My plan is to learn on a key but paddles look like they can be very cool:

Probably a ton of other good ways to learn Morse Code but this looks handy:

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 12:48:43 am by Electro Fan »

Offline vk3yedotcom

• Frequent Contributor
    • vk3ye dot com (radio articles and projects)
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 02:17:42 am »
A Morse key is just a switch but there seem to be collectors who will pay to get one to look at (seldom to use).

However you can make one (or a keyer paddle) with some springy metal for a few dollars. My YouTube has a couple.
NEW! Ham Radio Get Started: Your success in amateur radio. One of 8 ebooks available on amateur radio topics. Details at  https://books.vk3ye.com

Offline DrGeoff

• Frequent Contributor
    • AXT Systems
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 03:31:16 am »
Still got my old 'bathtub' key I had in my early teens.
Got it at the WIA equipment auction for about a dollar, way back when Crow's Nest had houses.

Was it really supposed to do that?

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 03:39:04 am »
I still have the Vibroplex I bought when I was a teen along with my first Radio Shack key.

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 05:54:15 am »
A Morse key is just a switch but there seem to be collectors who will pay to get one to look at (seldom to use).
I don't mind that. Those people will probably look after them. I just don't believe they account for the deficit in the marketplace

However you can make one (or a keyer paddle) with some springy metal for a few dollars. My YouTube has a couple.
Any old momentary switch will do.

Meh. Is there a 10c MCU that comes without capacitive touch these days?

Offline DrGeoff

• Frequent Contributor
    • AXT Systems
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 06:38:15 am »
There's probably an 'app' that does it anyway :)

Offline vk3yedotcom

• Frequent Contributor
    • vk3ye dot com (radio articles and projects)
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 08:21:28 am »
Any old momentary switch will do.

Electrically, yes. Sensually, no.

Anything can be used to send at 5wpm. But once you get above 12 - 15wpm and you're having to make numerous movements per minute it becomes more critical.

Here's a key made from a push button switch common behind the front panel of an old video etc. It's OK for short contacts but stressful to use at speed or for longer contacts.

A similar one is used on this wind-up torch which was converted to a Morse transmitter.

On the other hand, grab some brass strips with nails used to fasten cables and you have something that's not the most solid but requires little effort to send at good speeds.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 02:51:18 am by vk3yedotcom »
NEW! Ham Radio Get Started: Your success in amateur radio. One of 8 ebooks available on amateur radio topics. Details at  https://books.vk3ye.com

Offline roffvald

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 01:56:17 am »
I work in Norwegian coastal radio, we still have quite a few morse keys around for display and I even hooked one up to a buzzer with a nice display for when kids come to visit. While we still have quite a few here on display, most of the older ones were donated to HAM's and museums. Infact alot of the HAM's around in Norway gets quite a bit of gear from us when we upgrade in exchange for some expertise and know-how ;)

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 02:17:36 am »
It might be an idea to build one with parts from the hardware store.  As long as the arm is low mass and rigid, the pivot is low friction and the spring force and upper key stop are adjustable, the 'feel' should be satisfactory.  Either use a good quality short lever arm microswitch in an adjustable bracket so you can set its height and the distance from the arm pivot for a crisp keying action without excessive over-travel, a photointerruptor if you don't mind a logic level output or traditional adjustable contacts.

This may lead to inspiration: http://www.galleyrack.com/images/artifice/telegraphy/projects/nilson-radio-code-manual-1942-extract-make-key.pdf (8.5 MB)

Offline DrGeoff

• Frequent Contributor
    • AXT Systems
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 02:27:50 am »
Microswitches are pretty horrible for morse keying. You want 0.5-1mm max travel, with minimal clicky feedback. A couple of set screws is usually a better idea, and then you can set them for a comfortable distance for keying.

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 09:49:57 am »
Sure I could make one.

I'd rather pay an honest price for one though.

Now I've looked a but more, I do see some cheaper ones on ebay. If the seller would ship to this far off land. I'll just have to keep my ear to the ground I suppose.

Offline donmr

• Regular Contributor
  • W7DMR
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 06:51:05 pm »
I have found several at ham fairs, simple keys for low prices.  I had to help one of the sellers put the pieces together and adjust it.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 09:43:01 pm »
Kent Keys are still in business and the quality of service from them is amazingly good. I'm a satisfied customer.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2016, 10:56:21 pm »
 I seem to recall that in the late 50s through the 60s one could score a real U.S. Signal Corps J-38 telegraph key for just a couple of dollars from several mail order surplus outlets. Ever ham had one or more and no one thought they were anything but a entry level CS key. Try to find one today in any decent condition and be amazed at the $50+ they get.

Anyway CW sending with a key is a very personal preference kind of thing and that's why they have so many 'adjustments'. Some like a heavy key others a light sensitive key touch. Spring tension and contact spacing are important and personal adjustments. To be honest I suspect few use a straight key much anymore except for special occasions or contests. Most CW fans use electronic or mechanical keyers or I suspect a lot use keyboard CW these day?

So if you come across a J-38 key be sure to keep it as it's now more then a basic CW key and moved on to collector status.

http://k6ix.net/J38Keys.html

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 11:32:37 pm »
If I was in the market for a new straight key, the Kent ones look very sweet.

The J38 looks like the go-to key for something with historic appeal.

I'm sure some sort of electronic paddle/keyer will be on the cards for me at some stage, but not yet.

As for a keyboard? What's the point? Just use another way to communicate.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2016, 11:56:14 pm »
They are too expensive, they are a good example, of a simple, functional object, a SPST switch, that seems to have become objectified - a sort of "fetishism".

:)
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline _Andrew_

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2016, 12:48:19 am »
It is always worth checking club sales.
I picked up a good used HI-MOUND HM-HK706 for £4 at a club table top sale. The key has plenty of adjustment.

Dispersals of former radio ham's gear is often handled by clubs as well. If club members are either unable to make a sensible offer or not interested in the kit then theses days the clubs post it up on ebay. Clubs usually are good at achieving a good value to pass back to the family of the ham.     

Keys normally go for £20 and upwards

I was also lucky to have been given a WWII RAF Type F Key 10A/7741 "bathtub" key that was given to me by a relative that flew Lancaster bombers. Fully enclosed design to contain sparks from the contacts to reduce the fire risk. Heavy key to use but then they were designed to used while waring thick gloves. From what I was told people tended to bash out there message with there fist on them. Certainly robust.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2016, 10:50:04 am »
I still have one of these. Not sure when I last used it though...

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2016, 12:45:22 pm »
I found the Kent website while I was looking earlier.

Like all websites HAM it's straight out of 1998. I wasn't even sure they were still in business. Let alone have stock.

So true!

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2016, 01:09:37 pm »
Ex Military Morse keys are often simple and relatively cheap. I still have a 1950's British Army straight Bakelite Morse key somewhere. I sold my Marconi Marine straight key some years ago. I almost fainted when it reached £250 on eBay. It was bought by a collector.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf